marmite
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5023 days ago

35 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French

Message 1 of 5
06 December 2010 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
I hope this hasn't been posted before! I tried searching but I didn't find anything.

smart.fm is a website I found a while ago. It has several different types of exercises and "lessons", some based on textbooks. I find it a more varied version of Livemocha (which I disliked, but I'm enjoying this site). All the exercises are created by users, so you can easily add stuff you want to practice. It's also not just for languages, there's things like anatomy flashcards and so on.

I haven't looked into it much, but I've found some nifty exercises in there and it feels rewarding to revise what you've been studying and complete the "goals" you add to your profile. I hope it's of use to anyone here. c:

Edited by marmite on 06 December 2010 at 8:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4910 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 2 of 5
09 December 2010 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
I've just had a look at it - i'd not know of it until I read your post - it looks really great! I learned 5 German verbs in 10 minutes! :D

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6759 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 5
09 December 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
I love smart.fm - it makes reviewing absolutely addictive, especially since you can see
your progress clearly before your eyes, which is hugely motivating and rewarding. I've
completed the following goals there:

Countries of Africa and the Middle East
Persian Alphabet
Japanese Grammar & Linguistics Terms
German Words from the Harry Potter Trailer
Master Erudite English

and am slowly plodding my way through JLPT 1 vocab (which unfortunately isn't very
good).

My one complaint is that I wish there were more language-related decks for those above
the beginner level.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5638 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 4 of 5
10 December 2010 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
I also love Smart.FM, I've completed the entire Japanese Core 2000 series there (among other goals) and am
currently working my way through vocab from the movie Spirited Away. It's very effective. I've always had trouble
sticking with any normal SRS, but for some reason Smart.FM just really works for me.

If anyone is wondering about the Core 2000 series, I would really recommend it to other Japanese learners (at the
the beginner or low-intermediate level). My comprehension of anime and Japanese TV has gone way way up and I
can now understand most all casual conversation, after finishing it. It's by no means perfect- they skip some words
that really should have been on there in favor of less common words that are useful only to business people, for
example- but as a supplement to other materials I think it's excellent.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4925 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 5 of 5
10 December 2010 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
I love smart.fm! I've mastered the U.S. states, along with all the countries of the world (probably based on recognition by the U.N.), divided up by continent. I also did Erudite English, which taught a bunch of English words I didn't know. At first I didn't think they'd be that useful, but I've actually started noticing them a lot!

I haven't used it for foreign language learning yet, but I did notice they have the 2000 words that were on some Esperanto exam, that are considered the most important 2000 words, so that will probably be useful!

Also, you can create your own material, so you could always create a new goal if you like the learning style of smart.fm but no one's done it yet. Then you'll also be helping other users. :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version