Ester
Groupie
Joined 5611 days ago

64 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew

Message 41 of 52
13 January 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Hakan D wrote:
Any help from the native and advanced speakers are appreciated, tips, corrections, rephrasings and comments on the accent etc.

Congratulations on your accent! It's truly very, very good.

You start by saying שלום חברים קרים, you probably meant יקרים (the former one means "cold", the latter one means "dear"). Some seconds later, you say שעשית ("that YOU did"), as you're talking about yourself and your first recording, you need to say שאני עושה ("that I'm doing").
בסך הכל you pronounce "beSECH hakol", but it should be "beSACH hakol".
על עצמי you pronounce "al ETSmi", but it should be "al ATSmi". When saying that you're interested in other languges too, you say בשפה האחרות, it should be בשפות אחרות (you need plural for languages and as you're talking about other languages in general, omit the article).
In the name of your country, Turkey, the accent is on the first syllable (you pronounce it as if it were on the middle syllable). You say נודלתי, but it's נולדתי ("noladeti", not "nodalti" - for "I was born"). When you speak about the part of the city you grew up in, הרבה should be accented on the last syllable (you said "she-HAR-be", it should be "she-har-BE").
I didn't understand what did you mean by "veled" - probably "yeled" (if you wanted to say "when I was a child" in that sentence?). Also, you say "hayanu" for היינו and it should be "hainu" ("we were"). Also, keep in mind that it's המשפחה הטורקית, i.e. a regular noun and adjective, not "mishpachaT", it's not a smichut here.
Your uncles lived in גרמניה (you didn't pronounce the last syllable). In the same sentence, אותנו is "otanu", not "otnu".
לכן is "laCHEN", not "laCHAN" as you pronounce it; שמעתי is "shamati", not "shamti", and you also don't need definite articles when saying foreign languages in that sentence. ערבית (Arabic) is "aravit" (you say "arapit" or "arabit", something like that).
עברתי is "aVARti", not "aVRAti". עשר שנה is "Eser", not "Asar" (you can say either "shana" or "shanim"), because it's a female noun.
אוהב is accented on the last syllable ("o-HEV", not "O-hev"), I didn't really understand the rest of that sentence though. Later, it should be השם של הריקוד, and it's "riKUD", not "riKOD".

Overall, congratulations! Even if it seems like a lot of mistakes, for somebody who learned the language so little, it's amazing - and my corrections are about things which are more of a finesse than something essential, in a conversation you would be perfectly understood. כל הכבוד, you're doing a good job!

Edited by Ester on 13 January 2011 at 2:51pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 42 of 52
13 January 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Quite an acomplishment in hectic days! I'm looking forward to your less hectic days, it's motivating. I'm still in my repitition phase and still need to work on my listening comprehension. While doing so I learnt my first song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELR2x5RvIKI

Ester, I liked reading your explanations as well. Would you mind helping me with this confusing fact: כל or ...כל ה I always hear spoken kol/kol ha..., but see it written kal/kal ha... I wonder what is behind that thing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ester
Groupie
Joined 5611 days ago

64 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew

Message 43 of 52
13 January 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Meelämmchen wrote:
Ester, I liked reading your explanations as well. Would you mind helping me with this confusing fact: כל or ...כל ה I always hear spoken kol/kol ha..., but see it written kal/kal ha... I wonder what is behind that thing.

When you say כל ה... it means "ALL ..."; when you say כל ... it means "EVERY ...".
כל הילדים טובים means "all children are good", while כל ילד טוב menas "every child is good" (or "every good child"), the difference is on the emphasis. People usually confuse it in כל יום ("every day") with כל היום ("the whole day", literally "all of today").

With regards to the O/A vowel - what probably confuses you is that the nikkud indicate A, yet you hear O spoken. It's this tricky thing called kamatz katan, it looks exactly like kamatz, yet it's not A, but O - not only in word כל, but also in several other words which you'll just have to know they're pronounce with O from speech as it won't be obvious in a text as you'll see kamatz and think it's A if you haven't heard it before.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 44 of 52
14 January 2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot! I must have completely forgotten the kamatz katan. Everything I vaguely remembered was that chataf kamatz is being pronounced O too. But it's use also seems to be very seldom and I only read it once so far.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hakan D
Tetraglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5045 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, Icelandic, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Hungarian, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, Russian

Message 45 of 52
15 January 2011 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much Ester! I'll try to make a better recording soon with the corrections that you've pointed out.

Meelämmchen, I like the videos that you've sent :) I'll probably try to memorize all those children songs on youtube.

A very small accomplishment yesterday was when I overheard some Hebrew at a restaurant, I asked them whether they were from Israel and had a little chat. They didn't quite get why I would choose to learn Hebrew from all the languages in the world and a disbelief that I was learning it myself :)

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 46 of 52
02 February 2011 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Are you allright? I'll hope you come back around some day, I haven't see you in a real long time, I looked around here and you were gone, could you give some kind of sign, cos it seems like you disappeared...

Just quoting a bit of Lucinda Williams. Team ש needs to hear from you!

maybenext1me
Diglot
Hungary
spanish-journey.blog
Joined 4976 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Hungarian*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 47 of 52
14 February 2011 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
It's so good to see people who want to learn Hungarian:). Good luck!

Hakan D
Tetraglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5045 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, Icelandic, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Hungarian, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, Russian

Message 48 of 52
26 February 2011 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Just to give some support for the team ש it's been rather busy still after I moved back to Turkey and got some flu, that's why couldn't study much however I did some maintenance stuff with Hebrew and Hungarian. I hope I'll be able to be more active very shortly.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version