Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 25
09 December 2010 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Let's get back on topic and away from politics and economics.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5219 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 18 of 25
09 December 2010 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
I'm curious how some of these countries would do on NON-standardized tests.

As a college instructor with many international students (in a non-language learning discipline) it surprises me sometimes how even a subtle wrinkle in terminology or a new, but equally valid, way of asking a question can cause panic attacks and total meltdowns amongst some of my "best" students that otherwise give me beautifully regurgitated blocks of texts on questions they were probably expecting.

In the U.S. sometimes our instructors (myself included) enjoy the benefits of trying to "herd cats" rather than teaching specifically to what may come with a standardized test.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 25
09 December 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:

As I said earlier, either the Scandinavian or the East Asian system works. Both get the desired results. But I don't see either one of them being implemented in the U.S. at any point in time.

Much as I would have loved to bask in the glory from the Finnish results, I am afraid that all three Scandinavian countries had mediocre results. Finland is a Nordic country, but not a Scandinavian one. The comments from Iversen are unfortunately rather accurate for Norway as well.

However it does strike me, that if competences in foreign languages, in particular English, had been included in the subjects tested, the Scandinavian countries and The Netherlands would have gone straight to the top of the list.
2 persons have voted this message useful

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5396 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 20 of 25
10 December 2010 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Agreed! If English was the only subject in my Norwegian high school, maybe I would have
graduated...

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 21 of 25
11 December 2010 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
I'm not surprised at all. My cousins in Taiwan (I know it's not Shanghai, but it's relevant to China) dedicate 3+ hours outside of school everyday to their studies.

But I'm sure a lot of us on this forum do too with languages... So we're not that different.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5460 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 22 of 25
11 December 2010 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
The Real CZ wrote:

As I said earlier, either the Scandinavian or the East Asian system works. Both get the desired results. But I don't see either one of them being implemented in the U.S. at any point in time.

Much as I would have loved to bask in the glory from the Finnish results, I am afraid that all three Scandinavian countries had mediocre results. Finland is a Nordic country, but not a Scandinavian one. The comments from Iversen are unfortunately rather accurate for Norway as well.

However it does strike me, that if competences in foreign languages, in particular English, had been included in the subjects tested, the Scandinavian countries and The Netherlands would have gone straight to the top of the list.

East Asians can score a 800 on the English part of the SATs. They just can't speak well.

All depends on the test.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 23 of 25
11 December 2010 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
All the evils of modern Western education systems (the turn towards hedonism* and mediocrity as a result of progressively hollow education imparted by increasingly mediocre teachers who to top it off that don't inspire a bit of respect to parents who are themselves a byproduct of a society that couldn't deal with its newfound wealth and use it productively) are starkly depicted by Swedish pedagogue Inger Enkvist in her book

La educación en peligro (Madrid: Unisón, 2001 ISBN 9788493107031) (in Spanish, sorry)

and possibly others (my time is limited).

The conclusion is obvious: Western education worked a lot better 30+ years ago and is rapidly decaying, except for maybe Finland. Our options are to get rid of BS and revert back to systems that worked despite their flaws, or be surpassed by other countries such as China. Not that I give two hoots about other than my children when (if) I have them, however.

To US and Europe morons alike the appalling PISA test results are either irrelevant or wrong, which only speaks of their stupidity or evilness. One of the Spanish Education big wigs said a couple of years ago had the effrontery of stating in public that the PISA results clearly showed that our students excelled (which was an outright lie) in everything but reading comprehension. Now, how can you excel at any kind of test if you don't understand what you're reading?

I bet the next step will be to propose a re-design of the PISA tests so they resemble a Facebook application on a smartphone...

But well, getting off-rant and back to the languages... Sandman said he'd like to see how these high scores would translate to non-standard tests and I'm curious too because I think he's right about how competence in a language can be faked to a scary level. Ignoring the impossibility of objective evaluation of non-standardized test, let's try to use the PISA data. Could anyone compare competence in students' first language to competence in a second language, and THEN to the remaining results?

I have the hunch that high competence as a student (math, sciences) can only come with/from high competence in a first language. Foreign language competence would then be just loosely related to general competence, so we should find people who are competent at foreign languages among good and bad students, but in larger (how larger?) numbers among the former. Now, would this be confirmed from the PISA data?

*As a friend said about the youth that sorrounded us... hedonism? you gotta have some education to be a hedonist. These self-centered maggots are just a bunch of egotistical alcoholics and drug addicts.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 25
11 December 2010 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

To US and Europe morons alike the appalling PISA test results are either irrelevant or wrong, which only speaks of their stupidity or evilness.

Wow. Declaring people to be morons, stupid or evil for questioning the relevance of a test is quite harsh.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version