Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Combining language study with work study?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Doogle
United Kingdom
Joined 5297 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 1 of 9
08 December 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Not enough room in the title, but what I really wanted to ask was:

"is there anyone out there working full time, studying for a professional qualification (in my case CIMA) for work, and also studying languages?"

I've recently taken on the challenge, and really CIMA has to take priority, as unlike language learning, it is relevant to my current job. As a result my language study is suffering, since I feel that if I have free study time I should be using it for CIMA.

Any advice?
1 person has voted this message useful

marmite
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 4991 days ago

35 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French

Message 2 of 9
08 December 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Well, what I do is trying to be flexible. I can't study languages everyday, because sometimes I have to study for other things as well, and there's days when whatever little free time I have is spent *resting*. However, something that does help is keeping a schedule. Draw your class schedule. Add in everything else you usually do, like maybe going out with friends on Friday night or the weekly visit to a relative. Then fill in some hours (be realistic) to study, rest and have meals. On whatever is left add in language study. Of course, you probably won't abide by this schedule everyday, but it's a good guidelin. You can also throw in language study in otherwise free moments. Having dinner? Maybe try practicing your vocabulary by describing out loud the recipe you're cooking. Watching a film? Perhaps you could choose something in your target language (with subtitles if you're tired). Do you commute or drive to school? Take some earphones and practice, or a book.

Of course, be realistic about your times (studying for school, languages or otherwise). Be careful not to burn out, and remember that two hours of good study is better than four hours spent playing with your pencil, staring at the wall and calling friends.

vickyyuchi
Taiwan
Joined 4896 days ago

14 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English

Message 3 of 9
09 December 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Doogle wrote:
Not enough room in the title, but what I really wanted to ask was:

"is there anyone out there working full time, studying for a professional qualification (in my case CIMA) for work, and also studying languages?"

I've recently taken on the challenge, and really CIMA has to take priority, as unlike language learning, it is relevant to my current job. As a result my language study is suffering, since I feel that if I have free study time I should be using it for CIMA.

Any advice?

Well, that would be a difficult problem. I have the similar experiences, too. Sometimes I want to do something that interests me, but I'm forced to do something "more important" first. When facing such difficulties,well time management would be the top priority. A schedule book would help a lot. For me, I would put all the things that I need to do in a schedule book, and then give myself a deadline for all the things, trying to have all the stuff done effectively. Actually, I find that even if when walking, taking the bus or something else, there are many things could done as well.If I follow my plans and schedule well, I can somehow find time to do things that I want to. Just give you some suggestions. Hope it would help. :)    

ratis
Hexaglot
Germany
Joined 4881 days ago

28 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Czech, Japanese
Studies: Hindi

Message 4 of 9
09 December 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Maybe it helps breaking down your language study time into smaller time-boxes. For me,
the 20-30 minutes before I fall asleep and the first half hour after I wake up are
reserved for "fun" studies (which nearly always translates as language learning - when I
feel like it, anyway.) I already did this when I was still at uni simply because I had
the urge to do something free of (serious) purpose besides my regular studies. So my desk
is for serious studying and my bed for the fun. ;)

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5118 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 5 of 9
09 December 2010 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
How about doing it in smaller chunks, such as one small lesson per day, or even just listen to the audio recordings (if u have), while you commute to school everday (I presume u are still a student :)

I also find it hard to balance between language study, work and my financial studies (I am studying for CFA), and at times, I do feel overwhelmed. As a matter of fact, I listen to the audio recordings that I have in my ipod, in the office and during my commute between office and home everyday. Ironically, I even derive pleasure out of it, and language learning has even become a kinda relaxation outlet from my stressful work and financial study schedules...

leosmith
United States
Joined 6328 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 6 of 9
10 December 2010 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
I tried something similar, and it ended in disaster. I'd recommend dropping language studies until you finish your
other studies. Pick languages up again when you are more settled.

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6072 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 7 of 9
10 December 2010 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
noriyuki_nomura wrote:
... and language learning has even become a kinda relaxation outlet from my stressful work and financial study schedules...

Same here. I'm constantly looking for ways to jam in a bit of language studying. Flashcards on my iPhone in the elevator. Listening to Pimsleur while going on a morning hike. Etc.

Finding work-related material in a foreign language is helpful. For me, it is watching the news or reading newspapers in foreign languages.

Earning work related professional qualifications in a foreign language are great. I'm amazed at how many people can pass the CFA exams even if their native language is not English. There are thousands of pages of pretty difficult material to master and the exams are long and dense. I'm sure their English improves along the way.

Edited by jimbo on 10 December 2010 at 2:34am

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5760 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 8 of 9
11 December 2010 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I'm working full time and studying part time for a MSc related to my job. Neither
my job nor my course have any relation to the language I am learning - the nature of it
is such that it is really very focused on practice in the UK, so they are all areas of
my life that are essentially completely separate.

I also understand the guilt - if I have free time what should I be doing? Reading
around for my course or studying my language? Sometimes this seems to lead to
paralysis on both counts, which I guess is no way to work.

I promised myself from the outset that I would review my flashcards every day (this
rarely takes more than ten minutes) and I try to have some contact with the language,
even if it's just five minutes reading an article online or listening to a podcast, or
putting a DVD on when I go to bed. I save learning new stuff for when I don't have any
immediate deadlines on my course.

Ultimately, learning a language is a hobby for me and therefore as deadlines approach
clearly my focus moves onto my course and stays there - as it should be. As such I have
basically had to adjust my expectations in relation to how quickly I will progress in
learning a language, but I am still progressing nevertheless.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version