Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 1 of 15
08 December 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
In the same spirit as the Dutch challenge, I propose a group Hungarian challenge.

The reason for me proposing Hungarian is that I'm going to Hungary for 3 or 4 days on February 5th.

Cooperating and competing with a few other learners here would be a great extra motivator, plus probably a great help.

We can start whenever but I'll probably be starting at the end of December/beginning of January.

Anybody interested?
1 person has voted this message useful

Hakan D
Tetraglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 4888 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, Icelandic, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Hungarian, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, Russian

Message 2 of 15
08 December 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Hey, I've actually just started learning Hungarian. I did the first chapter of "Teach yourself Hungarian" yesterday and I'm thinking of advancing one chapter every 2-4 days. I'm already in the Dutch challenge but Hungarian is one of the languages that I've decided to take if you have seen my log "10 languages 2000 hours".

I can probably devote up to 50-70 hours for Hungarian from now on until February. My native language is Turkish so it shouldn't be too difficult for me to have a grasp of the language quickly. If you think I'm qualified count me in.

Do you have anything in mind regarding the learning and practicing method?

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6016 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 15
08 December 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
I started learning Hungarian about 4 months ago. Hungarian is AWESOME!!!   

It isn't as hard as people would have you believe.   

Teach Yourself is pretty good. I think if you combine TY with Assimil you can get a pretty good foundation/vocab for Hungarian conversation.

You can check my language log:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=22257&PN=1

to see what has and hasn't worked for me so far....

Sok Sikert!!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 4 of 15
08 December 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
@Hakan D - You're definitely qualified, I'm glad you're interested, you're going to have a busy January with 2 language challenges at the same time!

In regards to competition in order to motivate us more, I was thinking that we could have certain goals that we have to fulfill on this forum.

1. We have to write 5 essays on the forum of say 250 words each by the deadline and a native could check them. I mean simple essays like one funny story, one essay about your hobbies, one about your family or job etc.

2. We each have to speak to a native on skype if possible for a set amount of time.

3. If anybody knows of any Elementary level tests for foreigners, maybe we could take these at the end too.

Any other ideas for the competition part?

Materials wise, we can use whatever we want or find and use advice from other more experienced learners like liddytime.

In regards to cooperation we can start a thread here, plus speak on skype if possible but we must have a rule of no English!

@liddytime - Thanks for the link, I had a brief look through your thread and will look more intensively later. It will be great if you join in at least on the chat thread, might even help your motivation.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6016 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 15
08 December 2010 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:

@liddytime - Thanks for the link, I had a brief look through your thread and will look more intensively later. It will be great if you join in at least on the chat thread, might even help your motivation.

Yeah! I'm in!!   I'm trying to learn as much as possible before I go to Hungary next Spring, this will be good for my motivation.

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5196 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 6 of 15
08 December 2010 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Sziasztok !

I support your project as I'm also learning Hungarian (an awesome language :)) and I'm interested to join your challenge, but it would be my first. I'm by chapter 5 FSI and you can judge my level (poor) by my log. I'm happy that other people learn magyarul :) What do you think of it ?

Szia

Kisfröccs

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 7 of 15
08 December 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
I'm very interested in learning Hungarian, and a few months ago I would have jumped on this opportunity, but I think I'm going to have to refrain from participation. With prior commitments to several other languages and to the January Dutch Challenge, I simply don't have enough time to squeeze Hungarian in. This sounds very fun though and I wish I could join, so I'll be watching this thread/log with interest to see how you students of Magyar are coming along. :)

Sok szerencsét kivánok!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 

Message 8 of 15
12 December 2010 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
So far there are 4 of us taking part in the Hungarian January challenge -
Me
Hakan D
Liddytime
Kisfroccs

I'm pleased there are 4 of us, I can't wait to start properly.
I bought a Czech/Hungarian phrasebook on Friday and have ordered Teach Yourself Hungarian. I've been flicking through the phrasebook a bit and have learned some basic phrases and words and read about the grammar a bit more. I love the idea of learning a complex but very regular language.

We could do with a native speaker or high level learner who is willing to help us. Is there anybody out there who can help us?

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version