Triglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6345 days ago

98 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Afrikaans

Message 1 of 4
09 December 2010 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
I came across the following information on a Yale website. There was recently a reunion held at yale for the FIA crew and the past as well as future of FIA (new textbooks, electronic initiatives, etc) were discussed. From the site:

Quote:

The French in Action Reunion: A 25th Anniversary Celebration was held at Yale University on October 30-31, 2010. A truly once in a lifetime event, it brought together the revered triumvirate of Pierre Capretz, Valérie Allain, and Charles Mayer, as well as many others integral to the creation and success of this landmark language immersion program, including Barry Lydgate, Sylvie Mathe, and Christian Siret. About 70 ardently devoted teachers of French in Action at the college, high school, and middle school levels took part in the festivities.

Some of the highlights of the weekend were:

a speech by Pierre explaining the roots and development of French in Action
a question and answer session with Pierre, Valérie, and Charles
an improvised performance by Valérie and Charles, portraying Mireille and Robert meeting by chance 25 years after their adventures in Paris
a photo signing for all attendees
a convincing presentation by John Sullivan entitled “Is French in Action a Cult?”

The site has one video up from the conference now, with more scheduled to come. Apparently the full audioo from the conference is also being edited and put up there soon.

I thought some of you FIA fanatics (me included!) would enjoy.

http://fiareunion.wordpress.com/

Edited by Gregy1727 on 09 December 2010 at 12:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Desacrator48
Groupie
United States
Joined 5118 days ago

93 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 2 of 4
09 December 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Yeah I discovered this a few weeks ago, because I am currently about a 1/3 of the way thru the series. I saw some of the pictures, but refrained from watching any of the audio/video because I want to finish the series first.

I will say that I was somewhat shocked by how much Valerie has aged. She doesn't look nearly as good as she does in the series and looks older than her age of early 40s. Sad, because watching her speak French is about half the fun in working with this series!
1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5108 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 3 of 4
09 December 2010 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Desacrator48 wrote:
I will say that I was somewhat shocked ...

Don't know what pictures you have seen. But Valérie Allain looks great, imho. Most people look different after 25 years, what is probably older than you are ...
btw. I voted for your posting, accidentally, don't be shocked.

Gregy1727
Triglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6345 days ago

98 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Afrikaans

Message 4 of 4
09 December 2010 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Age could've been less kind, but there's a huge difference in 25 years. Considering I was -4 in 1985, she's held up quite well.

I guess it's just good to see that there's at least some initiative in the continued promotion of FIA. It was way ahead of its time in terms of language programs, and still is today. It's a shame a carbon copy doesn't exist for other languages, but it certainly is something that makes us French learners unique. I don't think any language program can tie a group of learners together in the way that FIA does with French.

I recently saw my library giving FIA audio tapes away. I grabbed them, even though I already have the audio. I just couldn't stand seeing them sit on the reject table.

Edited by Gregy1727 on 09 December 2010 at 10:54pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version