linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5796 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 81 of 255
13 December 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
And, as I have already said, I would go so far as to suggest that cultivating or retaining a foreign accent in the target language can be charming and attractive. I've always felt that most people think a little accent coupled with GOOD GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY --sorry for shouting--is rather cute.

The problem here is that we're now into the realm of aesthetics, which can be subjective.

If there is such a thing as charming, there is such a thing as charmless.
If there is such a things as cute, there is such a thing as ugly.
If there is such a thing as attractive, there is such a thing as repulsive.

So for every French accent, with its cute, attractive charm, there's an Anglophone accent trampling its ugly, clumsy, oversized feet across whatever language it comes into contact with. And I say that as an anglophone myself.

So yeah, if you're a French speaker, stick with your own accent. If you're not... best not to.

Quote:
Maybe it's just a question of learning sequence. Some people are concentrating on perfecting their pronunciation now. Others are working on their grammar. At a later date priorities can change. We really don't have a problem.

The reason I say pronunciation has to have early focus is that "a later date" is too late to correct anything other than superficial detail. If your phoneme map isn't complete at an early stage, it is practically impossible to fix later.

Edited by Cainntear on 13 December 2010 at 10:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5166 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 82 of 255
13 December 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Aineko wrote:
well, I think it has to be taken into consideration that there is only one particular
aspect of the language that many learners don't care too much about - native accent.

Are you sure about that? A lot of learners will say they don't care about grammar, "as long as I can get my message across". I personally know a few people who will say that. (Yes, their grammar IS awful.) Or that they don't care about complex or advanced vocabulary. And you could ask the same question -- WHY should they bother learn proper grammar? So they can be understood better? Sure, it would help, but they think they are doing just fine as it is. Will imperfect pronunciation be understood all the time? Surely not. So it's back to the same problem, people claiming that something isn't worth investing effort into because they can still get their message across without it. (ok, now I'm getting dangerously close to saying what I said I wasn't saying...)

Aineko wrote:
I'm perfectly aware that, for example, in Mandarin, in
order to understand and be understood I have to get everything right. Therefore, I'm
perfectly happy to spend hours and hours practising pronunciation.

On this, I agree with Cainntear -- learning pronunciation is a lot more about paying attention to detail, than about repetitions. I don't recall ever doing practice exercices in any language, other than repeating words as they are introduced to me the first time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5651 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 83 of 255
13 December 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
tommus wrote:
You can't say what you can't hear.

This is completely untrue. I can pronounce every sound in Hindi if I'm taught the word in written form (in the academic transliteration)

Well, yes. But that is taking my comment out of context. My point was that if you are trying to speak like you hear natives speaking, you cannot mimic sounds you can't hear.

Would you care to speculate on roughly what percent of language learners learn reasonable pronunciation through academic transliteration? I suspect it is very small. I expect that the overwhelming majority (probably > 99%) of second language learners learn reasonable pronunciation by mimicking what they hear and not via transliteration.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5215 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 84 of 255
13 December 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
There seems to be an idea here that if you don't speak a language to native-level then for some reason you cannot master other areas. This is patently wrong and in my opinion does not warrant much debate.

To avoid repeating myself, I'll ask what is the real motivation for wanting to sound like a native? Is it for the sense of satisfaction or accomplishment? Is it to differentiate one from the 99% of us who do not achieve native-like pronunciation? Is it to "go native"? Whom am I trying to impress?

And when we say native-like, what do we mean? Do I want to sound like a manual worker from Montreal, a university professor from Madrid or a British aristocrat? What kind of social identity do I want to project by my speaking?

Honestly, these questions are moot. Most of us, try as we may, will never sound like native-speakers. We just have to find our own speaking comfort zone and move on to more important things.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5166 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 85 of 255
13 December 2010 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
There seems to be an idea here that if you don't speak a language to native-level then for some reason you cannot master other areas. This is patently wrong and in my opinion does not warrant much debate.

I have no proof for this, so I suspect we'll continue to disagree, but generally, I contend that failing to use the general techniques involved in mimicking and internalizing native speech implies failing to use the most effective techniques for learning the rest of the language.

That being said, there definitely are certain nuances in any language that one can only express through precise pronunciation/intonation.

s_allard wrote:
And when we say native-like, what do we mean? Do I want to sound like a manual worker from Montreal, a university professor from Madrid or a British aristocrat? What kind of social identity do I want to project by my speaking?

My own.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5215 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 86 of 255
13 December 2010 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
I took a short break from my computer (a good idea) and heard an interview in English of a French-speaking company executive. I was really struck by how articulate, sophisticated and engaging the person sounded despite an obvious but not obnoxious French accent. That did it for me. In my mind, our debate is over. You need good pronunciation but it doesn't have to be perfect. What should be perfect is your grammar and vocabulary. I say if you have to choose between perfect pronunciation and perfect grammar, go for perfect grammar. Grammar and vocabulary mistakes are what people will notice more than the little pronunciation screw-up.

Edited by s_allard on 14 December 2010 at 2:32am

3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 87 of 255
13 December 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
People mess up vocab and grammar all the time in their native languages, but laugh at people with accents.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5233 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 88 of 255
13 December 2010 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

Question: how comfortable with Spanish were you before you went to Buenos Aires.

Hard to tell - I knew I could speak, but still was surprised with how much I was able to
communicate (like complex subjects and not using English at all). Certainly far away from
the beginner levels.
Quote:
I think the problem here is that little word "bother". You believe that it
requires an additional effort. It requires effort, but in my experience it is actual
easier to get that rich social, cultural, professional and emotional life in the long run
if you focus on pronunciation early on.

I hope you didn't jump into conclusion that I have no knowledge of phonology and was just
mindlessly listening and repeating :). I've gone through few phonetics/phonology books,
mostly because Arabic was (and still is) giving me trouble. I simply know that for me it
does require a lot of effort - I know the theory, but I'm simply bad at perfectly
imitating what I hear. So, on one side, it takes me a lot of time. On the other side, it
is not crucial for full functionality. (on the third side, I have no emotional attachment
to sounding like a native) - so my conclusion is "why would I bother?"
And your last sentence is, I'd say, just your assumption. From my 'sample' of highly
educated, (relatively :) ) young immigrants, I'd say foreign accent is one of the last
things that stands between you and quick integration in a new country. It is more what
you are talking about (your social skills and open mind for new stuff), then how you say
it, as long as it is understandable.

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version