Triglot
Canada
Joined 5216 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 105 of 255
14 December 2010 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
As I try to get my head around this arduous debate, I came up with the following idea. Let's imagine a composite index of 1 to 10 that measures phonetic proficiency in L2. 1 is thick accent, barely intelligible and 10 is native-like performance, the latter meaning that the speaker is identified as someone from one of the countries where the language is spoken.

After much diligent effort, typical of people here at HTLAL, I'm at 7 in Spanish. My fluency is good when I know what I want to say. Everybody understands me. I feel at ease. People no longer immediately switch to English or French to accommodate me. But nobody thinks I'm a native speaker of Spanish.

My next goal is to pass the DELE C2 exams for Spanish in 2011. How do I prepare for them? First of all I notice that no where do the materials state that I have to sound like a native. In fact, if I look at the Cambridge materials for evaluating speaking proficiency at the C2 level in English, pronunciation is not very important. The main criteria are: Range, Accuracy, Fluency, Interaction and Coherence. I think that the reason pronunciation is not that important here is that the assumption is that anyone at the C2 level has certainly achieved relatively good pronunciation. The other parts of the exams look at reading, writing skills, listening and grammar and vocabulary. What is the best study strategy? How should I use my time over the next 6 months?

To come back to the debate in this thread, there seems to be a school of thought that says you can't really master the language until you reach level 10 in the phonetic proficiency scale and that you won't understand the rest of the language unless you strive continuously to reach that level. I hope I'm getting it right.

The other school of thought (where I am) says that 10 is very nice, but for the goals at hand my 7 is good enough. Of course, I'll always be trying to speak better every time I open my mouth. But since the C2 exams give relatively little value to pronunciation, I would be better advised to focus on everything else. So I do the usual stuff, concentrating specially on my weaknesses such as the imperfect of the subjunctive, compound prepositions and conjunctions. Then lots of reading to boost my vocabulary, especially idiomatic expressions. Followed by writing as much as I can for correction by my tutor.

For those who are not sitting the C2 exam and who may have other aspirations, the phonetic 10 is a very valid goal. Grammar and vocabulary will tag along. I have no problem with this approach. I just don't think that it is best use of my time in preparation of my exams.

That in a nutshell is my take on the whole issue. It all depends on what you want to do with the language. If sounding like a native is your priority, that's fine. If you want to pass the C2 exam, you may want to reconsider your priorities.

Edited by s_allard on 14 December 2010 at 7:55pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 106 of 255
14 December 2010 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

To come back to the debate in this thread, there seems to be a school of thought that says you can't really
master the language until to reach level 10 in the phonetic proficiency scale and that you won't understand
the rest of the language unless you strive continuously to reach that level. I hope I'm getting it right.

Not knowing exactly what 7 refers to on your scale, I'd say that attempting to get a pronunciation level
superior to 7 is conducive to faster acquisition. I'd also venture that the closer you get to a 10, the closer
you get to expressing every nuance a native speaker can express.
1 person has voted this message useful

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5234 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 107 of 255
14 December 2010 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I'd also venture that the closer you get to a 10, the closer

What kind of nuances you have in mind? If you are talking about vocabulary, then you are
obviously wrong (there are writers who write beautifully in their L2, despite having a
foreign accent).
5 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 108 of 255
14 December 2010 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Aineko wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

What kind of nuances you have in mind? If you are talking about vocabulary, then you are
obviously wrong (there are writers who write beautifully in their L2, despite having a
foreign accent).

We are talking about pronunciation, so this obviously only applies to spoken language. I'm refering to
expressing, at the uppermost end of scale, nuances of disbelief, contempt, concealed joy, relief, assurance,
conviction, etc.

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5059 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 109 of 255
14 December 2010 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
This thread has got disgustingly long and tiresome and I can only suppose that this is because some people here
have some insecurities about their accents and others like to rub in their having (as they say) attained native-like
accent.

The facts are the following: yes, pronunciation does not have to be perfect to be intelligible. But neither does
grammar, nor spelling, nor does one need a large vocabulary range, etc. You can get by on French knowing
perhaps only 6000 words, having an okay pronunciation, making errors in gender agreement and subjunctive
use, etc. But is it not superior to know 12,000 words, have a perfect pronunciation, and not make grammatical
errors?

In other words, I don't understand why some people here are arguing that proper grammar and large vocabulary
range are important measures of language success (yes, they are), but pronunciation isn't. Mere intelligibility
isn't the point for some people. For some people the goal is perfection and they will continue to work on that
goal even if they never reach it. Likewise, vocabulary-learning is a never-ending task. I do not pat myself on the
back and say "Well, I speak English with a native accent and a near-perfect grammar, so I don't really need to
learn new words." On the contrary, I always try to expand my vocabulary and refine grammatical ambiguities and
errors.

From the English perspective, I find that grammar mistakes are more irritating to me than mispronunciation,
perhaps because the latter is very common as so many foreigners learn English. From the Serbian perspective, I
am not at all disturbed by the odd declension or conjugation error (yes, native speakers mess up cases all the
time, especially as you go to the southern parts of the country), but mispronunciation of the tonal accents is
what I find jarring.

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5059 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 110 of 255
14 December 2010 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
Aineko wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

foreign accent).

1.) Person A is in a taxi in Greece and speaks Greek with a marked accent but is absolutely intelligible. Person B
is in a taxi in Greece and speaks Greek with a perfect native-like accent. Do you think the taxi driver will charge
both the same?

2.) You are singing an operatic aria in Czech. Is it better to sing it in an Italian accent or an English accent or a
native Czech accent, assuming in all cases you are intelligible for those in the audience who know Czech?

3.) You plan to teach your child French. You will speak French to your baby whereas your husband speaks
language X and the child will learn the native language of the country in which you reside in preschool. Which is
better, to speak French with an intelligible foreign accent, or to speak it with a native accent and thereby give
your child another truly native language?

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5234 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 

Message 111 of 255
14 December 2010 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

We are talking about pronunciation, so this obviously only applies to spoken language.
I'm refering to
expressing, at the uppermost end of scale, nuances of disbelief, contempt, concealed
joy, relief, assurance,
conviction, etc.

hmmm...I'm trying to think of an example where person with a foreign accent was
misunderstood in these regards, but just not finding any. Maybe because these things
are usually expressed with more universal signs (such as tone of voice or gestures).
This is the only area where I could see myself agreeing with you about this whole
native accent matter, but only in some far extreme examples, that may even not come up
in someone's life time.

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5234 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 

Message 112 of 255
14 December 2010 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
This thread has got disgustingly long and tiresome and I can only suppose
that this is because some people here
have some insecurities about their accents and others like to rub in their having (as
they say) attained native-like
accent.

maybe people are just passionate about defending their opinion (if they see it
justified) and are enjoying the discussion, so no need for over-analysing.

Quote:
1.) Person A is in a taxi in Greece and speaks Greek with a marked accent but is
absolutely intelligible. Person B
is in a taxi in Greece and speaks Greek with a perfect native-like accent. Do you think
the taxi driver will charge
both the same?

2.) You are singing an operatic aria in Czech. Is it better to sing it in an Italian
accent or an English accent or a
native Czech accent, assuming in all cases you are intelligible for those in the
audience who know Czech?

3.) You plan to teach your child French. You will speak French to your baby whereas
your husband speaks
language X and the child will learn the native language of the country in which you
reside in preschool. Which is
better, to speak French with an intelligible foreign accent, or to speak it with a
native accent and thereby give
your child another truly native language?

1) I already said something about things like this in the previous thread. If someone
does not respect me for being a foreigner, that certainly is not a reason for me to
change my accent. The problem is in that person, not in my accent.
2) If you are a performer (actor, singer), then yes, accent is part of you profession,
you have to work on it. If you are not a performer - who cares?
3)first, why would I teach my child a language that is not my native? I am always for
learning from native speakers and getting your pronunciation as good as possible, with
the effort one considers worth putting in it (someone stops at 7, someone goes to 10.
I'm fine with both). So, I would get a native speaker for my child (I think I'll never
know a language as good as I know my native one).

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version