Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
255 messages over 32 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 31 32 Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4911 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 113 of 255
14 December 2010 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
If a person is engaging, clear, eloquent in their language, who cares if they have an accent or not?

Consider this (well, for those familiar with US television with a political edge):

Regardless of political persuasion, have you listened to Arianna Huffington speak? Do you find her difficult to listen to? Do you think that she is able to either get past her her accent, or use it to her advantage? And speaking of nuances, do you think with her accent she is able to convey subtle nuances despite it?

She seems to have a rather large fan base, in the US at least, so her accent (somewhat heavy, IMO) doesn't seem to bother a lot of people. And I actually think she uses her accent to her advantage.

I'm using her as an example, but it could be any well-educated immigrant that has retained an accent.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 114 of 255
14 December 2010 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
This thread has got disgustingly long and tiresome and I can only suppose that this is
because some people here
have some insecurities about their accents and others like to rub in their having (as they say) attained
native-like
accent.

Oh come on now, we're just having fun sharing ideas and opinions, here.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 115 of 255
14 December 2010 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Aineko wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

We are talking about pronunciation, so this obviously only applies to spoken language.
I'm refering to
expressing, at the uppermost end of scale, nuances of disbelief, contempt, concealed
joy, relief, assurance,
conviction, etc.

hmmm...I'm trying to think of an example where person with a foreign accent was
misunderstood in these regards, but just not finding any. Maybe because these things
are usually expressed with more universal signs (such as tone of voice or gestures).
This is the only area where I could see myself agreeing with you about this whole
native accent matter, but only in some far extreme examples, that may even not come up
in someone's life time.

Rather than being misunderstood, I was refering to not having access to certain nuances. Also, unusual or
unexpected subtle expressions might be assumed to be a mistake coming from a person with a foreign
sounding accent.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4911 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 116 of 255
14 December 2010 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:

3.) You plan to teach your child French. You will speak French to your baby whereas your husband speaks language X and the child will learn the native language of the country in which you reside in preschool. Which is better, to speak French with an intelligible foreign accent, or to speak it with a native accent and thereby give your child another truly native language?

My foreign-born and raised grandmother tried to do that with her children, speaking to them in Norwegian. Guess what happened? They don't speak Norwegian, aside from the occasional "Uff Da" and "Fi" (and the "Fi" is most likely a mocking imitation of her.)

Once kids get into school, they're going to favor what their peers are speaking. And if you're not native, your kids will reject your attempt to teach them another language at home, seeing it as something fake.

R.
==

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5229 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 117 of 255
14 December 2010 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Aineko wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

We are talking about pronunciation, so this obviously only applies to spoken language.
I'm refering to
expressing, at the uppermost end of scale, nuances of disbelief, contempt, concealed
joy, relief, assurance,
conviction, etc.

misunderstood in these regards, but just not finding any. Maybe because these things
are usually expressed with more universal signs (such as tone of voice or gestures).
This is the only area where I could see myself agreeing with you about this whole
native accent matter, but only in some far extreme examples, that may even not come up
in someone's life time.

Rather than being misunderstood, I was refering to not having access to certain
nuances. Also, unusual or
unexpected subtle expressions might be assumed to be a mistake coming from a person
with a foreign
sounding accent.

well, you said "I'm referring to expressing...", so I assumed you are talking about
inability to express these nuances. Although I am allowing for the theoretical
possibility of the situations you are describing, I still can't think of any particular
example. Maybe it is more likely to happen to people with a really thick accent, the
one that borders with unintelligible.    

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 118 of 255
14 December 2010 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Aineko wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
Aineko wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

I'm refering to
joy, relief, assurance,
conviction, etc.

in someone's life time.

Rather than being misunderstood, I was refering to not having access to certain
nuances. Also, unusual or
unexpected subtle expressions might be assumed to be a mistake coming from a person
with a foreign
sounding accent.

well, you said "I'm referring to expressing...", so I assumed you are talking about
inability to express these nuances. Although I am allowing for the theoretical
possibility of the situations you are describing, I still can't think of any particular
example. Maybe it is more likely to happen to people with a really thick accent, the
one that borders with unintelligible.    

Yes, not having access to expressing certain nuances orally.

tracker465
United States
Joined 5133 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 119 of 255
14 December 2010 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Aineko wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
I'd also venture that the closer you get to a 10, the closer
you get to expressing every nuance a native speaker can express.

What kind of nuances you have in mind? If you are talking about vocabulary, then you are
obviously wrong (there are writers who write beautifully in their L2, despite having a
foreign accent).

We are talking about pronunciation, so this obviously only applies to spoken language. I'm refering to
expressing, at the uppermost end of scale, nuances of disbelief, contempt, concealed joy, relief, assurance,
conviction, etc.

The fact of the matter is though, that having a native accent is still not enough to understand all of the nuances of a language. Language is tied so closely with culture, that without growing up in country x, there are going to be points that a non-native speaker misses. Sure, some of this can be established via cultural books and history lessons, but even then, I feel that there would still be instances in which only a native would really know.

With that being said, I am of the opinion that the whole discussion has gotten a bit ridiculous. As someone else had mentioned earlier, I feel that those who have allegedly claimed to obtain native accents are trying to bask in their glory, whereas those who do not have such perfect accents want to denounce the importance of a native accent.

Time to make a music analogy here. Let’s suggest that having a perfect accent is like being able to change the strings on a guitar. One can certainly play a guitar without ever knowing how to replace the strings, though being able to replace the strings is certainly a useful task in itself.

Or perhaps a better analogy would be with musical style. Jazz and blues guitarists are all guitarists, and for the purpose of this discussion, let’s say that to be considered a guitarist, the person has to have some skill at the guitar (so that I am not called on a technicality or something). I would suggest that neither guitarist is superior or necessarily better than the other, and both would certainly meet the goals of entertaining others, getting gigs, etc. However, the jazz guitarist would have learned 14+ guitar scales, whereas the blues guitarist would have learned maybe two or three. Accent isn’t everything, hell grammar isn’t even everything (and I say this listening to my grandmother’s grammar at times).

I have only heard one or two non-native English speakers in my life who spoke English with a native-sounding accent, and this was after working at a tourist center, traveling around the world, etc. some people may have the ability, will, dedication, and time to achieve a native accent, but the majority of language learners do not seem to do so, and if these people are clearly understood, then I am not sure what the big deal is. Even within different languages, people have various accents.

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5229 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 120 of 255
14 December 2010 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

Yes, not having access to expressing certain nuances orally.

Can you give any example, what exactly do you mean?
Again, from personal experience: I live with my native English partner for more than 2
years. I'm sure any misunderstanding regarding these nuances that require native accent
would have occurred so far :). Otherwise, we are talking about some situations that are
so rare that again, in my book, are not worth the effort.

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version