Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4880 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 185 of 255
20 April 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I don't find a good accent to be terribly important, but I am a native English speaker and I'm used to hearing them alot.

I like to think that my accent in French is important, but that is because it is the only thing I'm fairly certain that I'm good at.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 20 April 2013 at 10:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6752 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 186 of 255
21 April 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
casamata wrote:
lecavaleur wrote:
Call it whatever you want, I find that if you
have a native or near-native accent in a language, you can get away with minor
grammatical errors and such without native speakers noticing or caring. On the other
hand, when you have a non-native accent, they notice every single mistake and they're
more likely to correct you.

Yeah, sometimes it would be great to have an AMAZING accent. I don't know many folks
that are equally good at pronunciation and grammar; unfortunately, I fall into the
latter camp. :(

But usually people that are fluid, have a large vocabulary, and deep understanding of
grammar have good accents, right? That's what I've observed, at least.

I think grammar and a good accent both require a lot of work, so one can sometimes come
at the expense of the other, especially when starting out in a language. For me,
putting on a good accent requires that I pay a lot of attention to making all of the
correct sounds, mimicking the prosody of the language, getting the right intonations,
etc. It's exhausting and sometimes if I am working hard to pronounce things perfectly,
I'll slip up on the grammar. Similarly, if I am pushing the limits of my grammar or
vocabulary, my accent will start to break down.

Back when I knew a lot less Cantonese than now, I used to be fairly good at mimicking
an almost native sounding accent -- to the point where a few people remarked that my
accent sounded even better than my partner's, even though he grew up in Hong Kong and
remains fully bilingual. But I only knew simple phrases and basic sentences. Now that
I'm actually concerned about grammar and learning to communicate substantively (and
correctly) in Chinese, my accent has completely gone out the window.

I imagine for some advanced learners/speakers of a language, once they've gotten the
accent/grammar under control, they can turn their attention to bringing up the rest of
their language skills? At least, I hope that's the case!

Edited by mike245 on 21 April 2013 at 3:45pm

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6985 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 187 of 255
21 April 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
mike245 wrote:
to the point where a few people remarked that my accent sounded even better than my partner's, even though he grew up in Hong Kong and remains fully bilingual.

Did you realize they were hitting on you at the time?

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6752 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 188 of 255
21 April 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
mike245 wrote:
to the point where a few people remarked that my accent
sounded even better than my partner's, even though he grew up in Hong Kong and remains
fully bilingual.

Did you realize they were hitting on you at the time?

Considering they were older aunts and uncles we met up with at a family dinner in Hong
Kong, I hope not!

In full disclosure, their comments were based on about 3 sentences that I said during
dinner, in contrast to my partner who spent the entire time speaking in the language.
He is fluent in Cantonese, but I think he's lived long enough in the US (20+ years)
that he no longer sounds quite like an HK local.

Edited by mike245 on 21 April 2013 at 6:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4402 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 189 of 255
21 April 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Working on your accent in order to make yourself readily understood is one thing. Attempting to perfect it with
the aim of passing yourself off as a native speaker is another, and a rather pointless one in my opinion
(unless you're an actor or a spy).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 190 of 255
23 April 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
To me not trying to get the best pronunciation you possibly can, is like learning the violin without bothering to
get it quite right.

If my accent is mediocre in a particular language it is because I can't do it any better, not because I can't be
bothered. Aiming for a bad accent makes zero sense to me.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 191 of 255
24 April 2013 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
But you don't work on your pronunciation 100% of the time? Therefore you could've done better if you hadn't spent your time on this or that word, grammar item, idiom. But essentially we come to a point where you "would've done better" if you knew nothing and just imitated the sounds. This is waaay past the point where the law of diminishing returns comes into play, however.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6689 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 192 of 255
24 April 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
To me not trying to get the best pronunciation you possibly can, is like learning the violin without bothering to get it quite right.

I don't focus on spot on intonation (or that dreaded thing knowns as the vibrato) at the expense of other skills (building up a repertoire, anyone?). This being said, I agree that it's wise to at least try to improve your pronunciation. Some people don't seem to bother a bit.

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version