Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 193 of 255
24 April 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
I can understand not wanting to set aside time specifically to work on the accent. I do not do that either.
However once you learn a new word or sentence it is all part of the process to learn the pronunciation as
well, and if all you do is to apply the pronunciation used in your native language, then it seems to be a
funny way to learn a language.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 194 of 255
24 April 2013 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Accent and pronunciation is always the first thing I train. Why? Because getting it right
makes it easier for you to distinguish their sounds and also lowers the speech barrier at
the beginning. It's easier to talk if you don't sound like a howling dog.

Edited by tarvos on 24 April 2013 at 11:48am

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 195 of 255
24 April 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
To me not trying to get the best
pronunciation you possibly can, is like learning the violin without bothering to get it
quite right.

I don't focus on spot on intonation (or that dreaded thing knowns as the
vibrato) at the expense of other skills (building up a repertoire, anyone?).
This being said, I agree that it's wise to at least try to improve your
pronunciation. Some people don't seem to bother a bit.

And sometimes (only sometimes), I almost envy those people. After all, they are quite
often effortlessly producing what sounds like quite accurate TL, quite understandable
(to me), but I can hear their native (English) accent clear as a bell, although they
themselves seem quite oblivious to it. Since it's presumably also understandable to a
native speaker of that language, I wonder, why did I bother to twist my tongue into
unusual positions to try to achieve a more accurate TL accent (probably hopelessly
unsuccessfully), when I could have not bothered, and put all the effort into vocab and
grammar?

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4253 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 196 of 255
25 April 2013 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Aiming for a bad accent makes zero sense to me.

I don't think anyone aims for a bad accent. The question is more: how much efforts are you willing to put into improving your accent?

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6754 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 197 of 255
25 April 2013 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
I consider striving for a good accent to be similar to striving for perfect grammar. In
most languages, you can be readily understood even if you mix up noun genders,
conjugate words incorrectly, occasionally use an improper preposition, etc. An extreme
example would be if someone said "she tomorrow with me go to store." I understand
completely the meaning of the sentence, even though it's not correct. Nevertheless, most
language learners (at least here on this forum) would still strive to use correct
grammatical constructions as much as possible. Maybe you aren’t doing it because you
want to pass off as a native speaker, but simply because you want to speak the language
the best that you can. For me, the same holds true for trying to achieve a good accent.

Edited by mike245 on 25 April 2013 at 4:59am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 198 of 255
25 April 2013 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
I would expect people who don't care much about accent to have a terrible one. Even someone who wants a good one may fall short. Someone who doesn't care much is generally difficult to listen to, unless their accent has some prestige (say a Russian speaking English) or they are good looking.

It may have something to do with the native language. Spanish doesn't sound pleasant with a thick American accent. Most foreign languages don't sound pleasant to my ears with a thick American accent.

Edited by luke on 26 April 2013 at 11:04am

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4253 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 199 of 255
25 April 2013 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
mike245 wrote:
I consider striving for a good accent to be similar to striving for perfect grammar. In most languages, you can be readily understood even if you mix up noun genders, conjugate words incorrectly, occasionally use an improper preposition, etc. An extreme example would be if someone said "she tomorrow with me go to store." I understand completely the meaning of the sentence, even though it's not correct. Nevertheless, most language learners (at least here on this forum) would still strive to use correct grammatical constructions as much as possible. Maybe you aren’t doing it because you want to pass off as a native speaker, but simply because you want to speak the language the best that you can. For me, the same holds true for trying to achieve a good accent.

This is good comparison and while I think no one here would be happy with a "she tomorrow with me go to store" level of grammar or accent, some people will not strive for perfect grammar or accent either. They will stop somewhere in between; when they consider that the efforts required are not worth the expected improvement. Heck, even native speakers usually do not have perfect grammar and they certainly have accents.

The difference I see though is that grammar is more "objective" and accent more "subjective". For instance, I do not see a context where involuntary grammar mistakes would be seen as something positive. On the contrary, a slight accent can be considered pleasant or charming. I also have the impression, but I might be wrong, that every one is more or less equal when it comes to grammar but accents come more easily for some than for others. I also feel that accents are somewhat less "wrong" than imperfect grammar. A native making a grammatical mistake might be a common sight but it is still "wrong". However, there is nothing wrong with a native speaker having an accent.

Edited by Tsopivo on 25 April 2013 at 8:13am

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4036 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 200 of 255
25 April 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I would expect people who don't care much about accent to have a terrible one. Even someone who wants a good may fall short. Someone who doesn't care much is generally difficult to listen to, unless their accent has some prestige (say a Russian speaking English) or they are good looking.

It may have something to do with the native language. Spanish doesn't sound pleasant with a thick American accent. Most foreign languages don't sound pleasant to my ears with a thick American accent.

My Spanish accent has a very distinct American accent, but it doesn't impede understanding. I actually had a discussion one day with some friends where they said my accent was thick, but I had a much better vocabulary than a mutual friend who spoke like a native but didn't have the same level of Spanish. They said it was far easier to talk to me, because I understood and could give more complete answers than her (mind you - her Spanish is still quite good, but I am more accustomed to living in Spanish than her).

Clearly an accent isn't always an impediment to understanding, and I'd take the 'you know more' compliment over 'she has a better accent' any day.

On the other hand, it's a clear problem when your accent is thick enough to impede understanding. I've heard people speaking English and have had no idea what they were saying. Likewise, I've said things in Italian that went un-understood until I wrote them and my pronunciation was corrected (usually I was emphasizing the wrong syllable).

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version