255 messages over 32 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 30 ... 31 32 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 233 of 255
26 April 2013 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Obviously your accent was better at the time you used it more often, but you still had to
learn, and your first utterances weren't with a perfect accent. That was my statement. ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 234 of 255
26 April 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Obviously your accent was better at the time you used it more often, but you still had to
learn, and your first utterances weren't with a perfect accent. That was my statement. ;)

That is absolutely correct, but it was not the result of years of practising. It would be the result of a learning
process which would take anywhere from three weeks to three months. Not 30 years :-)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 235 of 255
26 April 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Nah, but you haven't lost much of your pronunciation in French and German, it's fine,
same for your English (the other languages I don't speak). The point is, people are
seeing the results after a process, and they haven't seen the beginner Cristina struggle
with French because they weren't around for that episode.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4424 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 236 of 255
27 April 2013 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Today I had another experience confirming that a decent accent can give very good impressions. I was at a French restaurant, waited for a moment when one of the cashiers wasn't busy, and asked her if we could speak in French for a bit. We exchanged a few sentences, and the way I said them must have made quite an impact, because she first asked me if I was French (! -- never happened before), then despite the fact that I said no, continued full speed ahead just as I've heard French people speak to each other. I could barely keep up. :-P
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5189 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 237 of 255
27 April 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
As @tastyonions has demonstrated, a good accent tends to dominate in the listener's perception of the proficiency of the speaker. This is not surprising because pronunciation is very salient. But good pronunciation does not trump good grammar and vocabulary, as any advanced learner knows.

This discussion makes me think of two characters in seasons 6 and 7 respectively of the Spanish soap opera Amar en tiempos revueltos. They were American characters and had quite noticeable supposedly American accents. I'm not even sure that they were played by Americans. But their Spanish grammar was impeccable. They were totally understandable and did not make any of the typical mistakes that Americans make in Spanish.

The screenwriters wanted to identify the characters as American without having them speak bad Spanish.

Edited by s_allard on 27 April 2013 at 4:45am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 238 of 255
27 April 2013 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

This discussion actually gave me a flash back to when I was 5, and the week that I
learned how to read and
to tie my shoelaces. Learning how to read was no effort at all, my mom gave me a set of
letters and taught
me the alphabet, and by the end of the week I was starting to read children's books
with big letters, and within
a year I read 4 books a day. Piece of cake.

You seem to be a poster child for the phonics method of learning to read. I'd like to
be a fly on the wall at some hypothetical discussion of this subject between you and
Stephen Krashen.

(Like you, I learned to read relatively easily - don't remember how - but was late
tying my shoelaces, and very late learning to swim, even in a nice warm pool (not in
the sea! - brrrr!   ).

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4985 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 239 of 255
27 April 2013 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
You seem to be a poster child for the phonics method of learning to read. I'd like to be a fly on the wall at some hypothetical discussion of this subject between you and Stephen Krashen.

I'm not sure what the phonics method details are or what Krashen's take on it is exactly (nor SolfridCristin's), but I have a hunch there wouldn't even be a debate regarding how children learn to read more effectively if SLA researchers / evangelists had a look at non-English-speaking children. Lack of correspondence between English spelling and sounds makes for all kinds of trip-ups during the learning, let alone any analysis performed on it by adults who are not sure how they did do it either.

There's no hesitation among Spanish or Russian children here, nor debate on 'how to teach them', nor do they have to be comparatively older to take into account all those 'you write this, but you say that' nuisances. Russian children growing here just begin putting letters and sounds together again (or at the same time), and as soon as they ask some logical questions regarding the few Spanish spelling irregularities they quickly pick them up with no effort. I don't know how crazy Norwegian spelling is, but with any luck it will be way better than English, so no wonder our dear Solfridcristin learned how to read quicker than how to tie the damned shoelaces (another latecomer here - wasn't that hard once I bothered to ask and pay attention ;)

BTW I nearly drowned at my grandparent's pool at the tender age of 3, so I quickly lost any fear of water and diving -- however I didn't learn to actually swim until I was 8...

NewLanguageGuy
Groupie
France
youtube.com/NewLangu
Joined 4366 days ago

74 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 240 of 255
28 April 2013 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
In French, a good accent is key to being taken seriously by native speakers and not having them switch to English

Unless in Paris or another tourist area, this is very unlikely to happen. The average French person "on the street" will only attempt English if it is clear you really cannot understand anything.

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version