tracker465
United States
Joined 5138 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 33 of 255
12 December 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
I just took an oral Spanish test the other day at the university, and my professor told me that my pronunciation and accent need work, but that I was (a) quite understandable and (b) had a better speaking command than many of my peers, who have better pronunciation and less accent. My professor was also of the opinion that this setup was better than that of my peers, as perfect accent and pronunciation does not get one far, if it is not backed by vocabulary, grammar, etc.

I totally agree with him. I've spoken my share of Spanish and German with people, and although I clearly have an accent in both (my German accent is non-American but also non-German, whereas my Spanish accent is more American), as long as it does not hinder communication, then there is not much of a problem imo. For this reason, I never aim for a perfect accent, but one that is good enough for people to understand, as I could be using my time learning more words or something.

Although I have heard hundreds of English accents, I find that typically they do not hinder my ability to understand the speaker, if the speaker is fluent in English in every other way. The only exception I can think of is a Chinese finance professor who pronounced words such as "Star Bucks" as "Stall boss" Then again, I've only had this problem if the person's pronunciation was way out of the ballpark.
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 34 of 255
12 December 2010 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
tracker465 wrote:
My professor was also of the opinion that this setup was better than
that of my peers, as perfect accent and pronunciation does not get one far, if it is not
backed by vocabulary, grammar, etc.

I totally agree with him.

Fine, but when does that happen? Have you ever met anyone with perfect or near-perfect
accent and pronunciation but poor vocabulary and grammar? I haven't. And I used to teach
French so I've met hundreds of students. The reason is that a good accent is usually
either an indication of a higher level or a boost to reach a higher level of fluency.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tracker465
United States
Joined 5138 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 

Message 35 of 255
13 December 2010 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Fine, but when does that happen? Have you ever met anyone with perfect or near-perfect
accent and pronunciation but poor vocabulary and grammar? I haven't. And I used to teach
French so I've met hundreds of students. The reason is that a good accent is usually
either an indication of a higher level or a boost to reach a higher level of fluency.

I see this as being a real situation or possibility. I do agree with what some say, that people with good accents are perceived as being fluent in a language (whether they are or aren't) whereas those who have thicker accents are perceived as being less fluent. These are perceptions and stereotypes, however, and I don't believe it for a minute that there is a large correlation between accent and level of fluency.

Some people just have an easier time picking up accents than others. Someone could learn a few phrases and mimic Pimsleur with a perfect accent, but their grammar could be pants, and their vocabulary virtually non existant. Likewise, I've heard plenty of people who have good grammar and vocabulary, but just can't nail the accent for whatever the reason, whether they are too old to pick it up or whatever.

True, some people do strive to improve their accents, while working towards fluency, and others naturally pick it up from the start. Not really a good measure of fluency, though people do perceive it to measure fluency.

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5234 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 36 of 255
13 December 2010 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

Fine, but when does that happen?

I guess it happens whenever a good actor starts learning a language :). Anyway, although
good accent/bad everything else is a rare situation, the opposite is quite common. There
are so many people who have foreign accent but near-native mastery of a language in all
other aspects. I'd say this just shows how much the accent, unlike other aspects of a
language, depends on some kind of a talent. This doesn't mean native accent is not
achievable through hard work, as well, but it is quite understandable why people, who are
fully functional in a language otherwise, don't see any need, motivation or justification
for that hard work. I'm also still to meet natives who automatically slow down their
speech when they hear foreign accent (and by foreign I mean 'not a native one', not 'not
an understandable one').
2 persons have voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5059 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 37 of 255
13 December 2010 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
Aineko wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

Fine, but when does that happen?

I guess it happens whenever a good actor starts learning a language :). Anyway, although
good accent/bad everything else is a rare situation, the opposite is quite common. There
are so many people who have foreign accent but near-native mastery of a language in all
other aspects. I'd say this just shows how much the accent, unlike other aspects of a
language, depends on some kind of a talent. This doesn't mean native accent is not
achievable through hard work, as well, but it is quite understandable why people, who are
fully functional in a language otherwise, don't see any need, motivation or justification
for that hard work. I'm also still to meet natives who automatically slow down their
speech when they hear foreign accent (and by foreign I mean 'not a native one', not 'not
an understandable one').

Well it's obvious that accent taps into different resources than vocabulary acquisition or grammar. Vocabulary
acquisition is largely a matter of memory, grammar internalization a combination of memory, operation of an
algorithm to a particular root, and composition of various pieces into a coherent whole. Accent, on the other
hand, is about listening very carefully and repeatedly modifying breathing, tongue, jaw, and lip position so as to
accurately reproduce the sound that is being heard. For this reason, pronunciation can be (near) perfect even for
a beginner, if he or she is listening carefully enough and is attuned to the sounds. A rich vocabulary and a
functional and internalized grammar, on the other hand, requires a lot of time, practice, and exposure, unless
one has an eidetic memory.

I believe that cultivation of a near native accent early on has great benefits later. Every time I've made a
modification in my Spanish pronunciation, it's required conscious effort at first to correct the error, but now it's
all second nature. So I am 100% in agreement with Arekkusu on this.

tracker465
United States
Joined 5138 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 

Message 38 of 255
13 December 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
Accent, on the other
hand, is about listening very carefully and repeatedly modifying breathing, tongue, jaw, and lip position so as to
accurately reproduce the sound that is being heard. For this reason, pronunciation can be (near) perfect even for
a beginner, if he or she is listening carefully enough and is attuned to the sounds.

Quote:

Our infant phoneme capturing skills have a time limit on them called a critical period. If we are not exposed to phonemes prior to 1 year of age we can permanently lose the ability to hear some phonemes.

http://www.readingsuccesslab.com/Capturing_Phonemes_from_Bir th.htm

If we lose the ability to hear certain sounds, how is a near perfect outcome possible? I do not think that it is always necessarily about listening carefully.

Edited by tracker465 on 13 December 2010 at 7:12am

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5059 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 39 of 255
13 December 2010 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
tracker465 wrote:
Merv wrote:
Accent, on the other
a beginner, if he or she is listening carefully enough and is attuned to the sounds.

Quote:

Our infant phoneme capturing skills have a time limit on them called a critical period. If we are not exposed to
phonemes prior to 1 year of age we can permanently lose the ability to hear some phonemes.

http://www.readingsuccesslab.com/Capturing_Phonemes_from_Bir th.htm

If we lose the ability to hear certain sounds, how is a near perfect outcome possible? I do not think that it is
always necessarily about listening carefully.

People say this but I do not believe it. The adult human brain is incredibly plastic. Less than a child's, but still
remarkably so. Adults have had brain surgery with large sections of the brain cut out and rewiring of circuits has
enabled reconstitution of function.

I am convinced that any person with a normal hearing system should be able to distinguish sounds. He only
needs to understand that there is a distinction in sounds that may at first sound identical to him and perhaps
someone to point him in the right direction regarding positioning of the sound-producing structures.

To give you an example, as a child I was having great difficulty making the distinction between the Serbian
sounds č and ć, and đ and dž. Perhaps this was partly because my father himself does not make any distinction
(as his mother tongue is Slovenian, actually, which only has the č sound), so the only input I was getting
regarding a distinction in these sounds was from my mother, who didn't know how to explain the differing
mechanics in how they are produced.

Things only clicked when I visited Bangladesh when I was 16 and started taking Bengali lessons. There I learned
all the intricacies of retroflex and dental consonants and started playing around with my tongue and palate a bit.
It was only then that I made the connection that the difference between č and ć, and đ and dž, lies not in airflow
or volume but in tongue positioning, and the dental/retroflex dichotomy in Bengali helped me see that. When I
came back from Bangladesh, my Serbian consonants were finally correct.

Learning introductory Bengali also helped me get the Spanish dentals d and t right, whereas in high school
Spanish I had been making d and t alveolar, as they are in English and Serbian. No doubt someone else would be
able to pronounce Spanish d and t correctly from the beginning, but my case required a perspective imparted
from a 4th language that exaggerated the distinctions between these consonants and thereby helped point out
the importance of proper pronunciation of the same in other languages I know or am learning.

Clearly, all of these phonemic changes happened way after the "critical period." Thus, I believe that it is possible
to consciously iron out pronunciation errors given practice and an understanding of the differing mechanics
between the sounds that are being otherwise confused. Maybe we cannot acquire perfect accents therefrom, but
we can certainly approach that asymptote by constantly examining and re-examining our speech and comparing
to what we hear native speakers say and modifying it on this basis.

Edited by Merv on 13 December 2010 at 7:34am

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5234 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 40 of 255
13 December 2010 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:

I believe that cultivation of a near native accent early on has great benefits later.
Every time I've made a
modification in my Spanish pronunciation, it's required conscious effort at first to
correct the error, but now it's
all second nature. So I am 100% in agreement with Arekkusu on this.

well, if that's what makes you happy, then that's fine. :)
But if I spend less hours positioning my lips and more hours on vocab and grammar, in
order to be able to spend a monolingual week in Argentina earlier (without anyone slowing
down their speech for me :) ), then I fail to see how is that a bad thing (or in any way
worse than what you do).

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version