Diglot
United States
Joined 5291 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 17 of 22
11 December 2010 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
I used to be bilingual in English and German until a certain age. Unfortunately, my German is mostly only native on
the basis of understanding, and my speaking and writing have deteriorated (although I'm working to improve that).
Being bilingual at such a young age, I don't really remember much language wise, as I think with images, not
sounds. However, my understanding of spoken and most written German (except for advanced/scientific works
which I would have trouble understanding in English) is very good. I hear no difference between the two when I'm
not paying attention, which can often get me into weird situations. If I space out, and someone addresses me in
either language, I won't realize which language. I just hear the words and I register them as images in my brain.
Often this causes me to respond in the other language, or in a mix of the two. Weirdly enough it's mostly German,
which is why I want my speaking to be back to native, as I feel that it's a part of me I subconsciously can't let go.
1 person has voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5083 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 18 of 22
11 December 2010 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
I am bilingual in English and Serbian but they are not equally strong, i.e. my English is better. This is because I deal
with English throughout my daily life and was educated in this language. My Serbian was for a long time mostly
restricted to words spoken in the home, hence not a very rich vocabulary. In latter years, since I've been reading
online media and watching videos, both my vocabulary has improved and residual grammatical mistakes have
started disappearing.

I think in both languages and codeswitch all the time with family members. Codeswitching is a handicap, since I just
throw in the English word when I'm too lazy to decline some weird noun. Not surprisingly, when I am in a context in
which I can't codeswitch, i.e. visiting my grandmother and other family, my Serbian improves a lot in a short time.

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4932 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 19 of 22
11 December 2010 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
From birth I was raised speaking Mandarin to only my mother, and English to only my father. My English is stronger than my Mandarin though. Compare being in an English speaking environment 24/7 to having only 1 person to speak Mandarin with and with only 4 hours of Mandarin instruction a week. It's no surprise that one turned out stronger than the other. I think this experience is common among people with two mother tongues, a lot of the time, one will be significantly weaker due to lack of exposure. I can think in Mandarin, but never about anything meaningful. I think part of that is because the only time I've ever had to speak Mandarin was when speaking to my Mandarin teachers, my mother, or people on her side of the family. So our conversations were restricted to topics about school, food, friends, daily activities and the like.

Edited by CheeseInsider on 11 December 2010 at 1:04am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5036 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 20 of 22
13 December 2010 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
kmart wrote:
...The teenager responded in the same language until she came to an Italian word she didn't know, and commenced talking in English. But I'm not completely sure that the switch always went that way, ie the Aussie girl making the change to English, the Italian switching back to Italian, I think that they both made switches in both languages.
Anyone else had a similar experience - or does this themselves?

I've done it with a couple of friends (Spanish + English, German + Spanish + English) and I see it around me quite often (Russian + Spanish) - and it's a lot of fun.

Whenever you reach an appropriate level at any language (not necessarily above intermediate) you begin to realize that it has unique words and structures that simply come to mind when you're speaking, and saying them in any other language would require some roundabouts. If you know your interlocutor will understand anyway, why not do the switch and speed up communication?

As I said it can be a very fun game to see if the other person will get what you concoct, or what [s]he'll come up with :)

Syntax
Bilingual Hexaglot
South Africa
Joined 4905 days ago

28 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 21 of 22
13 December 2010 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Biscotti wrote:
I was wondering the other day what it would be like to be bilingual
(having two mother tongues).

I don't know. How is it to not be bilingual? :)

Biscotti wrote:
Do you think equally in both languages?

Yes

Biscotti wrote:
Are ideas or memories specific to a certain language?

No

Desacrator48 wrote:
I am also curious to know for the bilangual people who were
exposed to two languages from birth if they indeed do their daily thinking in two
languages or after growing up, have only one being dominant in their thoughts and the
other reserved just for speaking.

Actually, both are equally dominant in my thoughts. I do, however, speak more
Afrikaans. Strangely, my English seems better than my Afrikaans.

Desacrator48 wrote:
eEdit: I just had an hypothetical example that I would like to ask
to native bilinguals related to my first question. Imagine you are walking in a park
all by yourself from point A to point B. You are just reflecting on the day that was
yesterday in Language X. At no point in this round-trip walk will you say anything out
loud. Now my question is this: when you get to B and turn around to walk back to A, is
it possible that you might now be thinking about your day tomorrow in Language Y
without making a conscious decision to switch your language of thought?

Uhm, I guess so, but once I start a train of thought in one language, I tend to finish
it in that language.

boon wrote:

Yes, when I was in Gibraltar I heard similar things. I didn't understand much Spanish
at the time, but I remember two men talking to Spanish. Then one of them says "Yeah,
the awkwardness of..(I forget the end of the sentence)". Then they started speaking
Spanish again.

I thought it was very cool. It was one of many things that inspired me to learn
Spanish.

That happens all the time in Afrikaans. We tend to use the language that conveys the
idea most efficiently.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4940 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 22 of 22
13 December 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Syntax wrote:

That happens all the time in Afrikaans. We tend to use the language that conveys the
idea most effiently.

That may be somewhat unique to South Africa. When I visited Cape Town in 2008, I was intrigued by SA television. It was a constant mixture of English and Afrikaans, whether it was a soap opera or the news. Nothing was in a single language.

To be fair, I'm sure that exists in other places (Philipines,maybe? I've not been), but SA was the first place I've seen a mixture of languages in the media to that extent.

R.
==

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version