Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
HMS
England
Joined 4867 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 5
09 December 2010 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Firstly, thankyou to you all. I have been a long time lurker here and have learned a lot.
I have a question that I don't think has been addressed here.

I am trying to teach myself German via various methods and languages courses. The problem I am having is - I have a false tooth which requires a plate that covers the upper of my mouth. I have had it for two years now but only started learning German three months ago. I have only just managed to stop lisping in English. I am having particular difficulty with ezsett and "icht" type sounds.

I don't really know what I'm asking here, maybe just confirmation that I'm not alone? Is this common?

I understand if people are reluctant to reply to this.

Thankyou.
1 person has voted this message useful

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6419 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 2 of 5
09 December 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
"Icht" type sounds aren't necessarily easy for those of us who don't have any false teeth. My hunch is that as you get more and more input and practice in German, you'll lisp less.

If you were learning Castilian Spanish, you might even sound more authentic with a lisp.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4890 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 3 of 5
09 December 2010 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:

If you were learning Castilian Spanish, you might even sound more authentic with a lisp.

Not really. It's not applied willy-nilly to all Latin American "s" sounds (and not used at all in some parts of Spain, for that matter).

But yeah, I agree that with practice, the lisp should diminish, regardless of the language being learned.

R.
==

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5320 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 4 of 5
10 December 2010 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if it will help with your specific problem, but make sure you always keep the tip of your tongue against your bottom teeth.

I only got to grips with "ch" quite recently myself (after several years!)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 5
12 December 2010 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
SamD wrote:

Not really. It's not applied willy-nilly to all Latin American "s" sounds (and not used at all in some parts of Spain, for that matter).

But yeah, I agree that with practice, the lisp should diminish, regardless of the language being learned.

R.
==

Well actually, there are parts of AndalucĂ­a where they have the "ceceo" in which not only the c and z but also the s is pronunced with a lisp. Andalucia is interesting, since they have parts where they differentiate between the two sounds, parts which only have the s and parts which only have the lisping sound. It is just a matter of hitting the right place, and a lisp is actually an asset!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version