tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 8
10 December 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Here is a link to an interesting article with a video that suggests a person can communicate better with a non-native speaker who has a strong accent if the "native speaker" mimics the foreign accent. The audio in the video is very interesting. It is a native-British Dutch football coach speaking with a slight Dutch accent.

If such a technique does work a bit, there is obviously a fine line between just enough mimicking and too much, which would sound like you were mocking the non-native speaker a bit.

I think the other related thing that comes across in the audio is that the coach is using simpler English. I find than many people seem to have no ability to adjust the complexity, speed and clarity of their conversation when speaking to a second-language speaker who is struggling a bit. It may well be that the coach is not consciously speaking like this but rather has actually changed his way of speaking after spending a lot of time with Dutch football players. It would be interesting to know if he continues to speak like this in a conversation with a native-British speaker.

Anyone have any experience speaking like this, or having someone help you by speaking with your accent?

It would also be interesting to know if non-native-English speakers (both Dutch and others) can notice the subtle accent of the coach.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8186961/Mimi cking-a-foreign-accent-helps-you-communicate.html

1 person has voted this message useful

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5394 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 2 of 8
10 December 2010 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Indeed there is a fine line between mimicking and mocking. However speaking English
with both a target language accent and errors helps tremendously. Well it doesn't help
their English as much though...
Dumbing it down, rolling the Rs and speaking in the present tense will help make you
understood if you arrive in a country and don't speak a word of the language. No one
will understand a heavy American accent, which is what I use when I meet Americans,
Brits and Aussies. However to a local in my target country/language I speak a very
simplified English language.

Back to the accent question. After having lived a year in Indonesia I ended up with an
Indonesian accent, of course I am able to go back to my American accent, but while
talking to Indonesian people, my dog, in my head etc. the English always has this
accent. It's quite strong too, with rolled Rs and incorrect grammar. I would speak in
this manner with most of my local friends, not mocking them, simply adjusting to their
pace and style of speech. This also helped my Indonesian language learning. I never
heard anyone say that I mocked them so I believe it's all good.
We would also speak Indonesian with a German, British or French accent. I did this on
purpose, but I didn't even notice I was speaking English with an Indonesian accent
until several months had gone by.
I think this is part of the target language process, playing with accents to get it
just right.

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6758 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 8
11 December 2010 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
justberta wrote:
After having lived a year in Indonesia I ended up with an
Indonesian accent, of course I am able to go back to my American accent, but while
talking to Indonesian people, my dog, in my head etc. the English always has this
accent. It's quite strong too, with rolled Rs and incorrect grammar. I would speak in
this manner with most of my local friends, not mocking them, simply adjusting to their
pace and style of speech. This also helped my Indonesian language learning.

The same thing has happened to me, as a native speaker! I've noticed that I'm really
sensitive to the accents and quirks in other people's speech, and am quick to adapt and
start mirroring them without realizing it.

When I was in high school, I studied for a year in New Zealand. I was in a girls'
boarding school in a small town. I lived in the international dorm, which besides me
consisted entirely of East and Southeast Asian girls. By the end of the year, I had
definitely acquired a slight accent and was using ungrammatical English in a
predictable way. I was able to switch to American/NZ hybrid English when talking to
Kiwis, but the default inside my head was this Asian English. I think the cause of this
was a combination of me consciously simplifying my English and unconsciously being
influenced by theirs.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 4 of 8
24 December 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
My daughter is an elementary school teacher who is visiting for the holidays. We were discussing the topic of this thread, and she watched the video of the English football coach. She definitely notices this switch in accent in her class where there are a few students who speak perfect English but whose parents have an accent. She notices that when these students speak with their parents in English, they immediately take on their parents' accent.

When she was in university, she had some friends who spoke flawless, native-like English. But she noticed that when they spoke to their parents, they too switched to accented English.

In the first post of this thread, I asked if non-native-English speakers here on HTLAL (especially Dutch speakers) could recognize the subtle "Dutch accent" that the football coach was using. But nobody made a comment. Any comments?

Edited by tommus on 24 December 2010 at 5:45pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 5 of 8
24 December 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
I too find myself adapting to my Japanese friends' English speech. Not so much in terms of accent, but certainly in terms of intonation and choice of expressions. Because their goal is to learn English, I actually have to catch myself and fight against it.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 8
24 December 2010 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I too find myself adapting to my Japanese friends' English speech. Not so much in terms of accent, but certainly in terms of intonation and choice of expressions.

Speaking in terms of expressions, I have a friend who grew up in east Los Angeles, first generation (originally from Mexico). His English is native. But I can pretty easily set him off rambling in east LA Spanglish, simply by injecting "more better" into a conversation.

It's actually pretty hilarious. He knows it happens, too.

R.
==

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5450 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 7 of 8
24 December 2010 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
Once I stayed over with my cousins, the youngest of whom had a French exchange student staying with him. Every time he spoke to the French boy he used a mock French accent as if that would make it easier for the boy to understand. He would chat normally to us and then switch to slightly broken English with a French twist, 'Arrre you....enjoying...yur...fud?' I found it very bizarre and hilarious although I never actually heard him practising French which is a shame.

Edited by Iolanthe on 24 December 2010 at 8:10pm

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5144 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 8 of 8
26 December 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Being a football fan, I’ve seen this guy on TV before and it always puzzled me to hear him speak. I knew he was English from his name and his northern accent and yet his English sounded so unnatural and even Dutch-influenced at times. I didn’t know what to make of him.

I found the article very interesting. Especially because adopting the accent or the register of the person I’m talking to is something I do as well.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version