Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4903 days ago

49 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French

Message 9 of 13
14 December 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
I know you will stick with your opinion and this is the last I'm going to say on it as well but the market is in English, it is only the early ones with the chinese market. they've updated them a lot since then and I really recommend you try one out and make your own decision.
1 person has voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5242 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 10 of 13
16 December 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
I have a Kindle, Sony Reader, and iPod Touch all of which I use and bilingual columns is not usable with text-based ebook formats like ePUB or MOBI, so you are stuck with PDF. Automatically, this kills one of the best features of such readers--dictionary lookup--not to mention highlighting, etc. I'm not really a fan of the PDF mode, though it is usable and probably would be a lot nicer on the DX's big screen.

Now, the prospects are much better for using the Kindle with monolingual books in your target language. Its dictionary support is much better than the competition and can be replaced with any DRM-free MOBI dictionary (including L2->L1 bilingual ones). In this way you can read freely in L2 only, then use the dictionary to look up English definitions for words you don't know. Kindle 2 and later has pretty good unicode support for non-english character sets. The downside is that the selection of non-english ebooks (in ePUB or MOBI) in the stores and libraries is very small. I've read Esperanto and Ancient Greek books on it which I have created myself from public domain sources, but this takes time and know-how to do.

If you are going the PDF route, IMO you *must* have a device with a large enough screen to comfortably show the entire page, preferably two pages for bilingual use.

d.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 11 of 13
16 December 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:

If you are going the PDF route, IMO you *must* have a device with a large enough screen to comfortably show the entire page, preferably two pages for bilingual use.

d.

That size screen doesn't really exist, does it? And if it did, such a large screen would defeat the purpose of carrying it around. A single PDF page is difficult on a 7 to 9 inch screen. I doubt two pages would be readable without zooming.

That said, I read PDFs on a smaller screen, but I do have to zoom. There are ways to convert PDFs to either epub or mobi so they can re-flow better on a smaller screen, but the output is often really bad.

R.
==

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5242 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 12 of 13
16 December 2010 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
dmaddock1 wrote:

That size screen doesn't really exist, does it?

The iPad and Kindle DX screens are roughly the same size as a page from a "trade paperback" book, so you would think a PDF page should be readable at that size--assuming the PDF wasn't created with a much larger page size in mind, which is always a problem with PDF...

That said, I don't own either of these devices so I don't know in practice.

I personally would be happy with "zoom to width" modes with that size screen so perhaps my "must" was hyperbolic. Though, I agree regarding 2 pages. Is it possible to zoom to width while displaying two pages on any devices? Perhaps that would be readable while holding the device sideways.

d.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5129 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 13 of 13
16 December 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:
The downside is that the selection of non-english ebooks (in ePUB or MOBI) in the stores and libraries is very small.

There are lots of free out-of-copyright non-English ebooks available at Project Gutenberg. Languages with more than 50 books are: Chinese, Dutch,  English, Esperanto, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Italian, Latin, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, and Tagalog.
All can be downloaded either as MOBI or ePUB files.
If you have an iPhone or an iPad download the free Stanza app to see what's available. However, MOBI files are better displayed in the free Kindle app for iPhone.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version