Groupie
Greece
Joined 5165 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 1 of 5
12 December 2010 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Why is Albanian from self-teaching methods like 'Colloquial Albanian' so different from the real,spoken Albanian?
For example the word for language in the book is 'gjuhe' but in spoken Albanian I 've heard the word 'gju'.Another example is the word 'shtepi' house,yet Albanian immigrants here in Greece never use this word but the word 'shpi'.
Anyone here Albanian that could explain this?

Edited by 1qaz2wsx on 12 December 2010 at 8:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6936 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 2 of 5
12 December 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
I'm no expert on Albanian, but it does have different dialects, the two main ones being Gheg and Tosk, which evidently differ subtantially.

If I'm not mistaken, the "Colloquial Albanian" book is written by a speaker of the Kosovo dialect, which differs both from the standard dialect used in literary Albanian in Albania proper and from the dialect(s) spoken in Greece.

The Wikipedia article on Albanian dialects describes some of the differences, and provides a map:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_dialects

gedamara1
Diglot
Albania
Joined 5023 days ago

17 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: German, Albanian*
Studies: English

Message 3 of 5
12 December 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
well "shpi" and "gju" are in the gheg dialect which is quite different from standard albanian. Anyway if you're learning albanian then you should try to learn "standard albanian" and not the dialects So if you say "gjuhe" every albanian will understand you , if you say "gju" tosk albanians will only stare at you.
3 persons have voted this message useful

1qaz2wsx
Diglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5165 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 4 of 5
13 December 2010 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
How can that be? Most Albanian immigrants in Greece are of Tosk origin.They use the word shpi all the time.Not sure about the word gju though.
Anyway I would prefer to learn the Tosk dialect for the reason mentioned above.

Edited by 1qaz2wsx on 13 December 2010 at 10:25am

Slacker
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5245 days ago

62 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English
Studies: German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Arabic (classical)
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 5
26 March 2011 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
If you answer the phone and say "Jam ne: shtepi" or "Jam ne: shpi" I'd understand where you are. If you say that
you speak "gjuha italisht" or "gju italishtja" I'd say something like "piacere". My point it, the Albanian in Colloquial
Albanian may be different from the Albanian-speaking community that you may be near in Greece, Macedonia,
Montenegro, Italy, etc.; however, it's a good foundation text where few other quality examples exist.

-Slacker

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version