youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5920 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 1 of 4
13 December 2010 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
In this thread I am going to record an ongoing comparison of Koine Greek to Modern Greek by comparing Bible Passages. For Modern Greek I am going to use the Μετάφραση Σπύρου Φίλου - 4η έκδοση, 2003 translation of the Bible into Modern Greek.

For Koine Old Testament, I am going to use the Septuagint (LXX) which is 4th Century BC translation of the Bible from Hebrew to Greek and for Koine New Testament, I am going to use the original Koine Greek manuscripts.

My purpose in doing this is to use my knowledge of Koine (Which is pretty solid) to aid me in learning Modern Greek (Which I am studying and am at the lower intermediate level) and to understand the differences between these two Greek dialects.

Gen 2:9

Koine Greek:
καὶ ἐξανέτειλεν ὁ θεὸς ἔτι ἐκ τῆς γῆς πᾶν ξύλον ὡραῖον εἰς ὅρασιν καὶ καλὸν εἰς βρῶσιν καὶ τὸ ξύλον τῆς ζωῆς ἐν μέσῳ τῷ παραδείσῳ καὶ τὸ ξύλον τοῦ εἰδέναι γνωστὸν καλοῦ καὶ πονηροῦ.

Modern Greek:
Και ο Κύριος ο Θεός έκανε να βλαστήσει από τη γη κάθε δέντρο ωραίο στην όραση, και καλό στη γεύση• και το δέντρο τής ζωής στο μέσον του παραδείσου, και το δέντρο τής γνώσης τού καλού και του κακού.

1. The Koine is missing Κύριος (Lord) for some reason which is interesting because it is there in all the Hebrew manuscripts (יהוה אלהים).

2. The word ἐξανέτειλεν in Koine which is from ἐξανατέλλω "to spring up." The Modern translates this as " έκανε να βλαστήσει" from κάνω "to do" and βλασταίνω meaning "to sprout or bud".

3. The prepositions and adverbs are different: ἔτι is omitted; ἐκ is replaced by από; πᾶν (πᾶς) is replaced by κάθε.

4. The word for Tree is different: ξύλον is replaced by δέντρο. This is interesting because Modern Greek has the word ξύλο but I think it is limited to the meaning of "wood" whereas ξύλον in Koine can mean anything having to do with wood including the cross, trees, stocks, etc..

5. εἰς is replaced by στη

6. The word for Food is different: βρῶσιν (βρῶσις) is replaced by γεύση which I think means more "taste" or "savour" than food which is τροφή in Modern Greek.

7. The entire phrase "καὶ τὸ ξύλον τῆς ζωῆς ἐν μέσῳ τῷ παραδείσῳ" is very similar in both dialects with the exception of the word for tree (ξύλον vs δέντρο).

8. The Koine adds the word ειδέναι (εἴδω) which seems superfluous because it is a synonym for γνωστὸν (γνωστός) which both have to do with knowing, thus "the tree of knowing the knowledge of good and evil."

9. Finally, the Koine uses πονηροῦ (πονηρός) while the Modern uses κακού (κακός). This is interesting in that κακός exists in Koine but has more a connotation of bad in the sense of "worthless" while πονηρός (which I think does not exist in Modern Greek?) means bad in the sense of Evil.

Comparing these translations once again strengthens my thesis that Modern and Koine Greek are very similar and knowledge of one can be used as a base to learn the other relatively easily--and learning Modern Greek strengthens one's ability in Koine (and I would imagine the same is true in the opposite direction).

Edited by JW on 13 December 2010 at 8:02pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5920 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 2 of 4
14 December 2010 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Here is one from the New Testament where the Koine and Modern renderings are almost exactly the same Titus 2:13:

Koine:
προσδεχομενοι την μακαριαν ελπιδα και επιφανειαν της δοξης του μεγαλου θεου και σωτηρος ημων χριστου ιησου

Modern:
προσμένοντας τη μακάρια ελπίδα, και την επιφάνεια της δόξας τού μεγάλου Θεού και Σωτήρα μας Ιησού Χριστού•

English:
looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,

1. προσδεχομενοι (προσδέχομαι) meaning to look or wait anxiously is replaced by προσμένοντας (προσμένω) to anticipate.

2. The 1st person plural pronoun ημων is replaced μας.

3. The order of χριστου ιησου or Ιησού Χριστού is a textual issue not one of Koine vs Modern Greek.

This verse shows how close Koine and Modern Greek renderings sometimes are. I will try to find a verse that shows significant differences for my next entry.

Edited by JW on 14 December 2010 at 7:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5920 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds

Message 4 of 4
15 January 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Here is a verse that shows how different Modern and Koine Greek can be: Genesis 8:5

Modern:
Και τα νερά λιγόστευαν συνεχώς μέχρι τον δέκατο μήνα• την πρώτη [ημέρα] τού δέκατου μήνα φάνηκαν οι κορυφές των βουνών.

Koine:
τὸ δὲ ὕδωρ πορευόμενον ἠλαττονοῦτο ἕως τοῦ δεκάτου μηνός ἐν δὲ τῷ ἑνδεκάτῳ μηνί τῇ πρώτῃ τοῦ μηνός ὤφθησαν αἱ κεφαλαὶ τῶν ὀρέων

English:
The water decreased steadily until the tenth month; in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, the tops of the mountains became visible.

Και = δὲ - δὲ is the postpositive conjunction in Koine that Modern Greek does not have (at least, I don't think so)

νερά (plural of νερό) = ὕδωρ - water

λιγόστευαν (λιγοστεύω) συνεχώς = πορευόμενον (πορεύομαι) ἠλαττονοῦτο (ἐλαττονέω) -"decreasing steadily", "decreasing continually" "continuing to decrease"

μέχρι = ἕως - until

φάνηκαν (φαίνομαι) = ὤφθησαν (ὁράω) - appear

κορυφές (κορυφή) = κεφαλαὶ (κεφαλή) = top, peak

βουνών (βουνό) = ὀρέων (ὄρος) = mountains - I believe όρος can also be used in Modern Greek.

Edited by JW on 15 January 2011 at 6:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version