FXcuisine.com
Joined 7187 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 9
15 December 2010 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
One of the things I like most when learning a foreign language is when you discover a word or expression that describes a social type for which no words exist in your own language.

Two examples:
French dondon for a woman over 60 who used to enjoy a certain standing in the world because of her past looks or the prestigious job her husband used to have. Now that both are gone, she demands attention and respect from every passerby, like if she was an elderly Maria Callas walking down the street.

1990s Canadian French granola for 40-something yuppies who have taken one an über-healthy diet that seems to revolve around mueslis and granolas.

These expressions are usually unique to an area, social group and are used only for a couple years.

How about in your target languages - do you know such expressions?

Edited by administrator on 15 December 2010 at 6:33pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5192 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 9
15 December 2010 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Je ne connaissais même pas le mot "dondon"! Mais je connais "granola", par contre.
3 persons have voted this message useful

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4862 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 3 of 9
26 September 2011 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
We have terms like that in Russia when it comes to the marriage market for women.

ДБД, or Духовно Богатая Дева is a "spiritually-rich maid" who is well-educated and values intellectual pursuits. She is also known as девица с богатым внутренним миром, or a young woman with a rich inner world.

Then there's the Nymph, or Нимфа. "Задача нимфы - нравиться всегда и везде и исторгать гламур, как молюск перламутр" (The nymph's goal is to be liked everywhere at all times and radiate with glamour, like a mollusk lined with mother-of-pearl). She works very hard to be the perfect bimbo for the right man.

The spiritually-rich maids strongly dislike nymphs not only for lacking content and meaning, but also because they are the ones who marry well. :))

Here's an excellent article on the subject: Нимфомания: Духовно богатая дева и гламурзик: война на брачном рынке

Edited by espejismo on 26 September 2011 at 2:24am

3 persons have voted this message useful

imm1234
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4751 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Czech

Message 4 of 9
26 September 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
I don't know about 'granola' in Canada, but it was certainly Melbourne Australia slang
for the same sort of thing. For a short while anyway. Don't know if it still is!
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5896 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 9
26 September 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
I came across an interesting term in Japanese: "vegetarian man" 草食系男子 and I asked my Japanese friend about it. Her answer was very good so I'll just quote:

草食系男子 is a man (generally young age) who is weak both or either physically and mentally, defensive, passive and feminine. Men aren’t reliable any more, that is. This is not what I think, though. With my explanation, “vegetarian-man” might sound to be such an unattractive guy, but surprisingly, they’re quite popular. You know why? Because girls are becoming 肉食系女子 (edit: meat-eating girl/woman). They work pretty hard, earn lots of money, and they are losing their interest in marriage. So for those girls, “vegetarian-men” are convenient, as they can forget their loneliness of being single while keeping their happy single life without losing the job, money and their own time. 草食系男子could be a convenient partner if girls don’t want a serious relationship.
4 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5539 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 6 of 9
27 September 2011 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
In Polish there is the word "tipsiara" deriving from the word "tipsy" meaning fake nails (the word itself is of English origin anyway). Its the type of a young girl that is only interested in her loooks, has fake tan, bleached hair and long, fancy nails.

"Moherowy beret" (mohair beret) describes older ladies, supporters of the far right political options, traditional in their worldview, visiting church every day, etc. Older ladies often wear those kind of berets, hence the name.

Dresiarz is a young male, who is mainly interested in football, drinking, getting into trouble. Usually unemployed with clean shaven head. The name comes from the fact that they wear sweat pants all the time ('dres' in Polish).

Edited by pesahson on 27 September 2011 at 3:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 7 of 9
29 September 2011 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:

1990s Canadian French granola for 40-something yuppies who have taken one an über-healthy diet that seems to revolve around mueslis and granolas.

This is used in American English as well, but it is more the opposite of a 40-something yuppie, although they might have diet in common. I've heard it (in the late 80s) in reference to college-age hippy types. There was also Lola Granola, used specifically in reference to female granolas; my tired synapses are telling me that Lola Granola may have been a comic character or something.

EDIT: I decided to look up dondon on the net to see what came up. This site defines it as "fat woman". All the other dictionary sites I tried gave no results. Oh well...

Edited by Jeffers on 29 September 2011 at 6:48pm

rapp
United States
Joined 5542 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 8 of 9
29 September 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Jeffers - the times I've heard "granola" (or even "crunchy granola" for the more extreme examples) it was in reference to hippies, not yuppies. They're the types that are very interested in saving the whales, living in communes, and vegetarianism - thus the connection to healthy eating and granola.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version