Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5037 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 9 of 9
05 October 2011 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
I could share many Spanish terms like these with you, but Spanish is not really a target language of mine and I'm not very fond of such terms, mostly because people who can be accurately described using them tend to be particularly dull and uninteresting, although sometimes they (those terms) are good for laughs :)

Actually I find rather interesting that most answers so far referred to terms in the posters' native instead of target languages as asked by the OP Mr. Admin. It sort of confirms my initial thought: that those terms most of us know in our mother tongue are rarely learned by foreign speakers.

As an aside question, why would anyone actively seek to learn any kind of short-lived slang, let alone the kind that is probably derisive in its 90% or more? To make a fool of yourself by misusing it and turning the derisive to derisory, as is often the case with 'foreign swearing'? Anthropological interest maybe? Or just to be mean to people? :)

In my case, when I bump into such terms, they're mostly easy to spot and have a working guess at anyway. Sometimes, I ask friends on the spot just like Sunja did, and there are lots of 'urban dictionaries' out there; one way or the other they're probably forgotten equally quickly, because I can't remember a single one now. Granola, anyone? :)

Edited by mrwarper on 05 October 2011 at 3:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version