Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4913 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 9 of 14
24 December 2010 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
Ah, the craziness of the holiday season. But I have managed to get a bit done. Today I did lessons 7 and 8 in Toki Pona. I learned some more prepositions, and how to form yes/no questions. They seemed easier than previous lessons, so maybe I'm getting the hang of this. I have now been introduced to 56 words, most of which I'm getting pretty comfortable with, so I'm almost halfway through the core vocabulary! Once I've learned all the individual words, I'm going to go back and look through the lessons for any word pairings that were introduced (jan pona, telo nasa, etc.), and add those to Anki as well. After that my next step will be reading the Toki Pona forums, and trying to puzzle out the meaning of the sentences.

ali li pona! (That's a Toki Pona proverb I learned today, which means everything is ok)

As for Esperanto, I looked up a bunch of words from 'Malamu vin, unu la alian', and discovered that many of them weren't in the dictionary. Some of them didn't even come up on the online dictionary at lernu.net. Of these, I can kind of guess at the meanings of a few based on the morphemes, but some are complete mysteries. One example is 'enfalejo': 'en' means in, 'fali' is to fall or to drop, and the -ej- suffix means it's a place. So... I have no clue what to make of that. Hopefully I will eventually be able to figure out these words from context, but in the meantime, I'm just passing over them and working on vocabulary that is in a dictionary somewhere. In related news, yesterday I worked on my word lists a little bit. I learned words for feelings, and started the words for articles of clothing. I know it's a bit like the vocabulary one learns in junior high language classes, which people tend to complain about, but a lot of it is pretty core vocabulary (maybe not blouse, but it's good to know the word for bathing suit! [It's bankostumo.]).
1 person has voted this message useful

LittleBoy
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5108 days ago

84 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 10 of 14
24 December 2010 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
I understand what you mean, and should point out that I was, if anything, joking in my own comment.

As for that word, my only guess is "drop-in centre", which, unfortunately, relies on English idiom, so is probably wrong! And I agree with the wordlists, I do kind of like to know that vocabulary, it's normally relatively easy to use for practise, requiring only basic grammar for sentences, and gives you a nice feeling of progress.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4913 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 11 of 14
24 December 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I finally googled "enfalejo esperanto" and came up with trap. Which makes sense now that I think about it. Then I looked up trap in my English-Esperanto dictionary, and one of the entries was "enfalujo", so the same thing but with the container suffix instead of the place suffix. Interesting!

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4913 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 12 of 14
30 December 2010 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Let's hope I can kick my motivation up a notch over New Year's! In between lots of feasting, present opening, and playing Donkey Kong Country Returns (got it for Christmas! Yay!), I have finished lessons 9 and 10 of Toki Pona. I've decided that my next task should be to quickly go through the lessons I've done so far again, and put every example sentence into Anki. My weakest skill right now is sentence comprehension, and I think that will help.

As for Esperanto, as much as I'm enjoying the vocabulary lists, I'm growing frustrated by my inability to form anything but the simplest sentences. So in the new year I'll be getting back into the lessons on Lernu, for a bit of structured learning in things like word order. I'm also eager to try out Splog's spiral method, as his videos make it seem quite promising.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4913 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 13 of 14
31 December 2010 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
I have now added pretty much all of the Toki Pona phrases and sentences from lessons 1-8 into Anki. There were 150 of them! So that's 300 new cards (forward and backward). That should give me a bit more of the sentence comprehension practice I need. Also, as I was going through the practice sections, I did the practice again, and this time I got most of them perfectly, and without much trouble. So I'm definitely making progress!

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4913 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 14 of 14
31 December 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I have set up my TAC 2011 log, so I'll be posting there from now on. Happy New Year!

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version