Cyborg Ninja
United States
Joined 5143 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 4
16 December 2010 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
This is the beginning of my language-learning log. I've studied Japanese for about ten years now, though only seriously for six years, on and off. I took a few classes in college, but have learned most of what I know on my own.

In middle school and high school I studied Spanish and German for about a year each. I've forgotten much of those languages and I want to learn Spanish again, particularly since I'm from Miami. I even want to adopt a Cuban accent. In college I had a Mandarin Chinese class for a year and I did well because of my Japanese background. I studied a lot, but I've forgotten much and need to focus on the language again. Hopefully I can learn some Cantonese in the future, too.

I tend to learn best by studying the grammar of a language. I learn well from the written word. I do poorly with spoken instructions. My focus is on writing and reading a language rather than speaking it, though I need to make sure I don't slack off on my listening comprehension.

The Baseline
Japanese at a beginning intermediate level. Able to recognize around 700+ kanji, find it easy to write them as well. Getting better at speaking Japanese because I read aloud each sentence that I come across. I sometimes look away and speak a sentence that I've read.

Materials
Genki II, smart.fm, Japanese Particle Workbook, Nihongo Notes, Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication, Japanese audiobooks with parallel text.
  • 20 kanji a day from Genki II

• 30 items from smart.fm (Japanese Core 2000 series)

• One section every couple days from Japanese Particle Workbook

• The Goal
    To attain fluency in Japanese within a year and a half.

Edited by Cyborg Ninja on 16 December 2010 at 4:12am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cyborg Ninja
    United States
    Joined 5143 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes

Message 2 of 4
    17 December 2010 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
    I've studied Hebrew on and off for a couple of years. Honestly, I've rarely studied more than to be able how to read it. That way I don't have to be embarrassed when I go to shul and have to read from the Siddur. A basic knowledge of the language is what I wish to attain - basic reading and writing, knowing the cursive and block scripts, and join in basic conversations. There simply aren't many resources out there for Modern Hebrew, but there are many for Biblical Hebrew, most of which aim at non-Jews. I'm currently using UofT's Modern Hebrew program website to brush up on my pronunciation. I have trouble with the Ashkenazi-derived trilled 'r.'

Edited by Cyborg Ninja on 17 December 2010 at 4:34am

Cyborg Ninja
    United States
    Joined 5143 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes

Message 3 of 4
    09 January 2011 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
    I'm not sure why I'm adding this post, since I received no replies before this. I think
    people like someone who makes it seem they can learn a language through some kind of
    magical process that takes no actual work or studying. Sadly that's not the case.

Japanese
    For the last few days I've used Rosetta Stone's Japanese program. I've skipped back and
    forth between Lessons (or is it units?) 2 and 3. They're rather easy, but help me with
    my pronunciation and in particular with my listening comprehension. I never knew so
    many words existed for "to clean."

Getting back into Smart.fm's program. I haven't used it for a few weeks because I moved
    and didn't have internet access. I finished Part 1 of Japanese Core 2000.

Continued with my Japanese particles workbook. It's helpful, though I need more
    sentences to work on to retain what I've studied.

I'm considering going for a job that requires a Japanese background, like being a
    flight attendant. It may be too difficult for me, however.

Spanish
    Bought a basic book on Spanish grammar. 二週間前に、スペイン語の文法の本を買いま した 。I love the
    Japanese version they have (it's Barron's), and figure this is something quick I can
    read whenever I feel like it.

Edited by Cyborg Ninja on 09 January 2011 at 5:47am

Nekesu
    United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
    Joined 5366 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
    Studies: English*

Message 4 of 4
    09 January 2011 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
    Looks like you've had experience in learning quite a few languages. I did that as well but stuck with Japanese mostly. I've been studying for about as long as you (10 years), but didn't get serious about it until I was almost out of college. I just took the JLPT 2 in December after studying for it the whole year, I wasn't using textbooks or anything, just immersing myself in the language and doing SRS reps.

I'd like to see how you progress with studying multiple languages, right now I'm focusing on Japanese, but I have been looking at Mandarin Chinese in Rosetta Stone, I like it because I recognize quite a few characters.

Anyways good luck, with all your years of studying and being used to the Japanese language your goal is certainly attainable.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version