Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5952 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 9 of 10
17 December 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
chelovek wrote:
Instead of being forced to link two isolated words, I now have an entire network of support for each word's meaning, going right back to the word's origins.

This is a great idea, and if it weren't so time-consuming to do this for every new word I come across, I'd try to use it myself.

I think that the nature of Japanese language (and Chinese too, I'd presume) with its characters is really helpful for this sort of thinking. I find that if I know the Japanese word, its kanji (along with their individual meanings), and the English meaning, I can remember the words quite well.

For example, let's say I learn this Japanese word, 調味料 (chōmiryō), which means 'seasoning' or 'condiment.' The first thing I do is look at the Japanese pronunciation, saying it aloud or in my head. Then I look at the English to begin forming a link between the two words in my mind. Then, looking at the kanji, I can disassemble the word based on my knowledge of the characters' meanings:
調 - 'tune'
味 - 'flavor'
料 - 'fee' (it seems unrelated to the meaning of the word but I have noticed the frequent use of this character in words relating to cooking, like 料理, 'cuisine,' so I could possibly use this to remember it here)

So... Something that "tunes the flavor of the cuisine" -- which is exactly what a seasoning or condiment is. And this could be applied to many different words: 生物学 (life + thing + study = biology), 植物園 (plant + thing + park = botanical garden), 冷蔵庫 (cool + storehouse + warehouse = refrigerator), 商店街 (make a deal + store + boulevard = shopping district/street), 小説 (small + rumor/explanation = novel/story), and many more. I think having the link between the English meaning and the kanji and between the kanji and the Japanese word in addition to the English-Japanese meanings is very useful because, like chelovek noted, it provides a stronger link between the two languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 5897 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 10
18 December 2010 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
slymie wrote:
For sure its a great way to remember a word, when applicable - unfortunately sometimes asking "why" will just lead you on a wild goose chase. For instance a learner of English trying to find out the meaning and usage of

"here you go".

Where am I going?

Or "Sandwich" prefix "sand"
Other words with this prefix:
Sandbar, Sandy, Sandals.

must be something made with sand or used on a beach right?

Good point, slymie. I didn't really mean to imply that breaking down every word would always lead you to a clear answer on its ultimate meaning. Sometimes a word can't be broken down, and sometimes a word's constituent parts are meaningless. Nonetheless, you can still usually find some type of explanation, even if that just means learning that the word sandwich comes from a Duke's name, or that кит (whale) is just the Russian version of the ancient Greek word for sea beast, kitos.

By the way, I learned кит for the first time yesterday. The etymological dictionary said it came from kitos, which meant морское чудовище (sea beast). I then explored "чудовище" (beast, monster), which comes from "чудо", a word meaning "miracle" or "a wonder". In fact, the same word is used in the expression "a freak of nature". The -ище ending on the suffix signifies enormity, so from there it's quite clear that "monster" in Russian literally means "a great wonder (of nature)".

That took about five minutes of casual reading with my dictionary and the computer, and I was able to recall all of that as though it were on the back of my hand. :)

Granted, I can't yet vouch for long-term recall, but this is a level of understanding and confidence that I've yet to achieve with another learning method.

Edited by chelovek on 18 December 2010 at 1:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version