Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 10
17 December 2010 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
budonoseito wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
budonoseito wrote:
I hope to be able to achieve conversation ability
without leaving the USA. I think with
the technology today (I.E. IM and Skype) greatly increases the level you can attain
without travel.

I am going up to Ottawa, ON, Canada in July. So, I have some motivation to up my French
to practice in a natural setting.

You might have to cross the river...

Yes, two ferry rides into Kingston.

I meant that you might have to cross over to Québec to get any practice.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gatsby
Diglot
United States
Joined 5971 days ago

57 posts - 129 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch

Message 10 of 10
17 December 2010 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
I am only "fluent" (between C1 and C2) in one other language, French. For me, the road has been very long. Besides short (two weeks) vacations in France, I have only done one immersion stay of one month specifically aimed at studying French.

I began my studies over thirty years ago at university and was very fortunate to have only native speaker professors who believed in total immersion in the classroom. Thus, from the beginning, I learned to think in the language.

I then had a twenty year break where I occasionally read in French but had no opportunity to speak. The great 'mid-life' crisis at age 40 convinced me to go back to my first love, French. I began diligent self-study with French in Action and then took a year of weekly private lessons. I then went for my immersion stay of one month at l'Institut de français in Villefranche-sur-mer. (Best school in the world for French immersion in my opinion for anyone looking for one). Based on the oral and written exam at the beginning, I was placed in the highest of the advanced classes (probably around B2 level).

I really felt like I made a breakthrough during this immersion. When I returned home, my personal life changed drastically (got married), and I did not have a lot of time to continue my studies. So, another break of around seven years where I only read and didn't speak.

Then came retirement (yeah!!). I began taking weekly private lessons on-line via Skype, subscribed to TV5 Monde, found language exchange partners, and two years later, am between C1 and C2.

I recommend my methods (self-study, immersion, private lessons, language exchanges), just not my timeline of 30+ years. :-)

Good luck to all of you trying to become "fluent" the hard way (without living in the country). It can be done, just "keep on keeping on" as we say in the States.

Edited by Gatsby on 17 December 2010 at 10:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version