Groupie
Germany
Joined 5034 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 25 of 37
04 January 2011 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Hi Vlado, I had a short rest while listening to the Mandarin part, but enjoyed all the
other parts and have to admire your capacity to speak so many languages so fluently! How
often do you use these languages in Taiwan (except for listening to radio over internet)?

Is it just within the former Czechoslovakia, that people consider it quite funny if
someone from the one side of the Morava river uses the other language although he
actually does not have to, because his mother tongue is perfectly intelligible for
everyone?

Looking forward to more podcast episodes!
1 person has voted this message useful

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6344 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 26 of 37
05 January 2011 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Eumiro,

thank you for the nice comment.

I mostly speak English or Chinese all day so I unfortunately don't have the chance to
use the other languages that often. When I did the recording, the last time I spoke
German for instance for more than 2 minutes was last year in April maybe.

When it comes to using Czech/Slovak it depends on how well you speak the language and
where you are I guess. I think, but this is only my personal opinion, that in the Czech
republic, since there are so many Slovaks studying or working there and a lot of them
don't make the effort to speak Czech, if you do speak Czech and you speak it well and
everyone knows you are Slovak, the effort is appreciated - especially if you are
dealing with officials. They are very busy and making their life easier by speaking
their language made my life easier in return. Among friends, I don't know. Sometimes no
one even notices that you switched to Czech and the discussion just goes on. I think it
is quite frequent among Slovak students in the Czech republic actually. What the
situation is in Slovakia, I don't know, because there are not that many Czech's there
and those that are either speak a mix of Slovak and Czech or speak Czech only. Or their
Slovak is so good that I don't even know that they come from the Czech republic:)

Regarding the podcasts, I have two podcasts prepared, but am stuck on editing:( One is
an interview with Mike Campbell (Glossika) on Chinese dialects and the other one is
about Chinese characters.

Vlad
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6344 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French

Message 27 of 37
06 January 2011 at 6:19am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

for those who are interested, I finally managed to upload a new episode of my podcast
which is about the Chinese script. Hope you enjoy.

http://mrvladimir.blogspot.com/2011/01/chinese-scritp.html

Vlad

Edited by Vlad on 06 January 2011 at 6:20am

3 persons have voted this message useful

eumiro
Bilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5034 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 28 of 37
06 January 2011 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
Hi Vlado,

you are now on my podcast list. I have listened to the interview with your friend and now I am downloading
the new episode about the Chinese script.

Just a detail about the files you are producing: If you are going to keep on with the podcasts (you
should!), then think about the naming of the files. Try '20110106_the_chinese_script.mp3' instead of 'The
Chinese Script.mp3'. This will help you and the listenerss to keep track of your recordings. (or is it
just me who is using over 30 podcasts in different languages and copies them into the mp3 player, listens
to them while commuting and then deletes the files?)

Back to our Czech/Slovak topic: although there are people who can speak the other language very well,
there are still many "false friends", which pose difficulties in natural speaking. Just an example with
the two "PO česky" in your 11-languages-recording. The two languages have so many similarities, and most
people understand the other language so perfectly well, that it is really difficult to speak the other
language without any conflict. But this might be very individual, depending on where you were born, how
old you were in 1992, where and when you lived in which part of Czechoslovakia...

Vlad
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6344 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds

Message 29 of 37
07 January 2011 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
Eumiro,

thank you for subscribing!:) I will do my best and try to record something every week.

I will start naming the files as you said. It will be much better for me as well. Thanks
for the advice.

Out of interest, which part of the Morava river are you from? :)

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5208 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 30 of 37
07 January 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Wow, Vlado (does vocative work the same in Slovak and Serbian? :) ) what a discovery your
blog and your podcast are! I'm really looking forward to future recordings, especially
since I'm concentrating on Mandarin this year.

Vlad
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6344 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds

Message 31 of 37
08 January 2011 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Aineko,

I will do my best with the recordings:)

"Vlado" is only an informal version of Vladimir. It is not a diminutive, just a shorter
informal version.

We have only a few instances of the vocative left in Slovak, like "pane, otče, synku,
bratku.." Chung knows these things much better than I do, so you can ask him for the
specifics if you like.

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4762 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 32 of 37
29 March 2011 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Hallo Vlad,

ich habe mir deinen Podcast angehört, und ich bin von deinen Sprachkenntnissen wirklich zutiefst beeindruckt. Obwohl du sagst, dass du Deutsch schon lange nicht mehr regelmäßig gesprochen hast, sprichst du es hervorragend. Es freut mich auch zu hören, dass du dich für die österreichische Variante der deutschen Sprache interessierst ;-)

Du hast in allen Sprachen eine ausgesprochen angenehme Stimme. Mich stören auch die "uhms" überhaupt nicht. Ganz im Gegenteil, sie lassen die Aufnahme noch natürlicher erscheinen. Wenn Menschen im Alltag sprechen, dann klingen sie nun einmal nicht wie eine im Tonstudio nachbearbeitete Aufnahme von Standardsätzen und ich finde, das ist auch gut so.

Nochmals herzliche Gratulation zu deiner hervorragenden Leistung. Ich hoffe, du kannst dir deine Freude am Sprachenlernen bewahren. Liebe Grüße aus Österreich.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version