Joined 5632 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 37
29 March 2011 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Robert, I understand your German very well because it is also my native language, but may I ask you to write in English only in this "Polyglot Room" which has English as the required language? If you really want to write in German here, please add an English translation to your post!

The rules of this forum say that all threads are in English only besides in the "Log Room", the "Multilingual Lounge" and the "Non-English Rooms" for different languages such as French, Spanish, German...etc.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 30 March 2011 at 2:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Vlad
Trilingual Super Polyglot
Czechoslovakia
foreverastudent.com
Joined 6369 days ago

443 posts - 576 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, Hungarian*, Mandarin, EnglishC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Serbian, French
Studies: Persian, Taiwanese, Romanian, Portuguese

Message 34 of 37
30 March 2011 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Lieber Robert,

danke sehr fuer die schoene Worte. Um die Regel zu befolgen, werde ich auf Englisch
antworten:

Thank you very much again for the nice words. I learned German in school and visited
Austria several times, but unfortunately it was such a long time ago, that I am only
guessing the pronunciation of a great deal of the things that I say. Recently I picked
up a book in German, read it aloud and to tell the truth, it was quite a struggle. I
decided to spend more time with German, because I would be really sad to forget what I
have learned before.

When it comes to the "uhm's", I try to pay a lot of attention not to utter too many of
them, but it's pretty difficult to stay focused for such a long time. Try as hard as I
might, they still appear in the recordings every now and then:)
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6164 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 37
30 March 2011 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
I don't really have to write this because it's obvious to everyone who listened to his recordings that Vlad is a very talented and hardworking person. But I got to meet him recently in Taipei and heard his Mandarin in use. It was amazing how fluid and effective he was in a variety of situations. I don't think there was even one time that he hesitated in word choice or that someone didn't understand what he was saying. He's also a very nice guy!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Rob_Austria
Heptaglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4787 days ago

84 posts - 293 votes 
Speaks: German*, Italian, Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Croatian, Mandarin, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish

Message 36 of 37
31 March 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Robert, I understand your German very well because it is also my native language, but may I ask you to write in English only in this "Polyglot Room" which has English as the required language? If you really want to write in German here, please add an English translation to your post!

The rules of this forum say that all threads are in English only besides in the "Log Room", the "Multilingual Lounge" and the "Non-English Rooms" for different languages such as French, Spanish, German...etc.

Fasulye

I'm sorry Fasulye, I was not aware of that. I should have read the rules more carefully. I promise to be a "good boy" in future ;-)

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5632 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 37
31 March 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Rob_Austria wrote:
Fasulye wrote:

Fasulye

I'm sorry Fasulye, I was not aware of that. I should have read the rules more carefully. I promise to be a "good boy" in future ;-)

These rules have been invented because we have moderators in our team who don't speak German, Spanish, Italian, or what else. In comparison to the historical past of this forum, it now has more places where it is allowed to use German, Spanish, Italian, or what else. I am much in favour of using all of my languages in this forum, so I see this forum development as an improvement. If you only use the "Polyglot Room" to communicate, then you will be limited to English. I myself for example am very active in the non-English and multilingual rooms.

Fasulye

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version