wilzy
United States
Joined 4994 days ago

15 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish

Message 9 of 18
26 December 2010 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi. I've tried it and it seems to be working fine. I've finished Using French, plus a bit of reading and RFI, and am now learning Arabic. Couldn't find any English-based courses that I liked, so I got the old Assimil French-Arabic course as well as a Turkish-Arabic course (and my Turkish isn't particularly good).

For me, the grammar explanations in French aren't that important. Some of the grammar is easy enough to be figured out, and most of the rest you don't need to worry about - by the time you are ready for the active wave, the grammar has seeped into your brain and become fairly clear. By that point, you can also look back at all the grammar explanations you have skipped and understand them without too much trouble.

It probably depends on your preferred learning style though. I really do like just assimilating, so if there are lots of dialogues and listening that are fairly carefully graded, the grammar seems to come along on its own. The most important thing before you buy the Assimil French-German course is to make sure you understand most of the French vocab. If you want more grammar, you can buy a grammar reference written in English.
1 person has voted this message useful

wenevy
Bilingual Pentaglot
China
Joined 4888 days ago

28 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Spanish, Mandarin*, Cantonese*, Catalan, EnglishC1
Studies: French, Italian

Message 10 of 18
06 January 2011 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
The Hungarian polyglot kato lomb says that it´s better to learn a new language with your mother language based courses. Her explanation is that thoses courses will pay more attention on grammars or vocabularies whiches are difficult for people who speak this language. If you are a English native speaker, and you use franch based course to learn German, maybe you will find some explanations too obvious for you, and about other points whiches are more complicates to you, the explanatons problably are very brief.

However, I am chinese, but my spainish level is advanced, so i use spainish based assimil to learn french, becouse french is much more similar to spainish, and it will be more easy to learn.

I think if your french is good enough, you can use it to learn German.
So you can review your french knowledge at the same time.

Edited by wenevy on 06 January 2011 at 8:00pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 18
16 August 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
@polywannabe: I noticed you have another thread asking about learning koine Greek. Perhaps you should take this idea, but apply it to that? The course is Ancient Greek, but that is perfectly appropriate.

I like the idea of using French Assimil courses once I've learnt enough French. I'm thinking of first using French Assimil to review languages I have already learnt: Ancient Greek, Hindi, German, and perhaps Hebrew. Then, who knows, maybe I'll try to learn a new language through French. By the time I've reviewed the other languages with Assimil, it should be easy to follow the French side of the courses.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 12 of 18
16 August 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
I don't have an answer yet, but I wanted to 'mark turf' so I can find this forum later! I'm working through French using multiple texts. In early 2012 I want to restart Arabic, and I have L'arabe sans peine and Arabe Tunisien Kit de Conversation, both by Assimil, both in French.

The first is a standard Assimil book, though the spoken Arabic sounds very unnatural. I don't know how far I'll get. The second is a "langues de poche," and more like a Lonely Planet grammar book, with lots of examples but no drills or exercises. But, the language sounds natural and it's the only Tunisian resource I could find for the layperson.

I'll be reporting back how it goes come January!

... for what it's worth, I went straight from speaking Micronesian for two years to traveling in Indonesia and speaking Bahasa, and it seemed much easier to go from speaking Language 2 to Language 3 without going back to native English first. Bahasa came fast! Maybe we tend to translate less in our heads, and to think in the third language more, if we use a second language as our learning tool?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 13 of 18
16 August 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Maybe we tend to translate less in our heads, and to think in the third language more, if we use a second language as our learning tool?

That makes a lot of sense.

VityaCo
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6892 days ago

79 posts - 86 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, Ukrainian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 14 of 18
22 August 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:
suggested that once you mastered your first language that you used an Assimil course book
based in your new language to learn a third, thus consolidating the second language.

That is it! That is one more reason why I like the assimil books, they are printed in 13 languages, but not all of them
as useful. In Japanese one can learn only French, for example.

edit:
Knowing English, one can learn 10 languages with Assimil, but knowing Dutch 25, as of today!

Edited by VityaCo on 22 August 2011 at 12:48am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 15 of 18
22 August 2011 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
VityaCo wrote:
fanatic wrote:
suggested that once you mastered your first language that you used an Assimil course book
based in your new language to learn a third, thus consolidating the second language.

That is it! That is one more reason why I like the assimil books, they are printed in 13 languages, but not all of them
as useful. In Japanese one can learn only French, for example.

edit:
Knowing English, one can learn 10 languages with Assimil, but knowing Dutch 25, as of today!

I don't think Assimil has tried as hard to crack the US/UK market as the continental market, since there's so much competition among English products. Of course, I have no idea how many products there are in other languages for learning languages. But anyway, Assimil has not tried very hard to get into the English speaking marketplace. I had only heard of Assimil before I came to this website, but I had never seen it in a bookstore. Which is unfortunate, because it's really good.

AriD2385
Groupie
United States
Joined 4661 days ago

44 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: French

Message 16 of 18
22 August 2011 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I tried in vain to find Assimil in the stores (US). Thankfully they ship internationally and even with the cost of shipping and the Euro-->Dollar conversion, a new set is still much cheaper buying directly from Assimil than finding it on Amazon.

But regarding learning a 3rd language through a 2nd, I do find that getting over that translating hump helps immensely.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version