Brazil
Joined 4898 days ago

8 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, Sanskrit, Ancient Greek, German

Message 9 of 14
22 December 2010 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Pleiades wrote:
The Indian languages of North America are wonderfully complex. The morpheme-word ratio is staggering and one 'word' is normally more akin to a sentence by Indo-European standards. I can't comprehend how one could possibly speak an agglutinative language with fluency considering the thought process required to construct even the simplest of sentences.

could you write one example? I mean, the language name or family
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 10 of 14
22 December 2010 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
I can give you some language names to look for: Lushootseed, Cherokee, Inuktitut, and Navajo.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ubique1914
Triglot
England
Joined 5070 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mongolian

Message 11 of 14
29 December 2010 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
I agree with the Native American language suggestions, as many use rather complex
diacritics that are hardly used elsewhere.
In terms of appearance something like Armenian or Georgian looks rather odd to me due to
the scripts, along with the Amharic script.
1 person has voted this message useful

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6674 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 12 of 14
29 December 2010 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
I always found Navajo unusual, as well as Georgian
1 person has voted this message useful

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6337 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 13 of 14
29 December 2010 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Mapundungu is an isolated languages of the Araucanian family.

The most complicated grammar point: Verbs. I quote from Wikipedia
"Verbs can be finite or non-finite (non-finite endings: -n, -el, -etew, -lu, -am, etc.), are intransitive or
transitive and are conjugated according to person (first, second and third), number (singular, dual and plural), voice
(active, agentless passive and reflexive-reciprocal, plus two applicatives) and mood (indicative, imperative and
subjunctive). In the indicative, the present (zero) and future (-(y)a) tenses are distinguished. There are a number of
aspects: the progressive, resultative and habitual are well established; some forms that seem to mark some subtype of
perfect are also found. Other verb morphology includes an evidential marker (reportative-mirative), directionals
(cislocative, translocative, andative and ambulative, plus an interruptive and continuous action marker) and modal
markers (sudden action, faked action, immediate action, etc.)
. There is productive noun incorporation, and the
case can be made for root compounding morphology."

Here are some audio and written examples.

Guido.-

Edited by Guido on 29 December 2010 at 9:11am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Pleiades
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4905 days ago

10 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh

Message 14 of 14
30 December 2010 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
balessi wrote:
Pleiades wrote:
The Indian languages of North America are wonderfully complex. The morpheme-word ratio is staggering and one 'word' is normally more akin to a sentence by Indo-European standards. I can't comprehend how one could possibly speak an agglutinative language with fluency considering the thought process required to construct even the simplest of sentences.

could you write one example? I mean, the language name or family

The Ojibwe language of the Algonquian family is a good example, coffee is makade-mashkikiwaaboo! As you can see, even simple nouns are constructed from many complexly ordered units.

With regards to verb conjugation, 'to speak badly' in Greenlandic is oqaatiginerluppaa , and that's relatively tame as they go. In Chukchi, 'I have a headache' is Temeyngelevtpeγterken. I suspect that this is a commonly uttered phrase given the complexity of the language.
But the best example has to be Aliikusersuillammassuaanerartassagaluarpaalli, meaning 'However, they will say that he is a great entertainer, but ...' in Western Greenlandic. I've come across better examples but these are the only ones I can find right now

Edited by Pleiades on 30 December 2010 at 1:05am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version