Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 65 of 77
26 July 2011 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Hey, great move! And let me know if you need any help, or explanation. I taught Norwegian to foreigners in
my previous life, so I should be able to give you a hand.
1 person has voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 66 of 77
26 July 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Hey, great move! And let me know if you need any help, or explanation. I taught
Norwegian to foreigners in
my previous life, so I should be able to give you a hand.

Thank you Solfrid Cristin :). I actually thought of you as well when I decided upon Norwegian! I'll be sure to take
you up on your offer if I ever have any questions.

The reason I chose Norwegian instead of Georgian, is simply because I need something easy. I have a solid 3
languages that I love, and have advanced most in (German, Russian, Polish), and I think I overdid it with adding
Icelandic, Farsi, and Swahili. My motivation for Swedish would always dwindle, mainly because I would have no
one to talk to solely in Swedish. I thought I'd be able to handle Icelandic, although it got to be too much, and I
was only kidding myself. Plus, Norwegian is here for a 6WC, and I'm promising nothing more, but from what I
can tell, it might stay to be around a lot longer than that :).

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4980 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 67 of 77
26 July 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Hi ruskivyetr! I'm back and happy to see you've decided to try a more relaxed tack on
your language studies. I reached much the same conclusion recently; I'm dropping Polish
for the year because three active study languages ended up being too many balls in the
air at once for me. I'll resume Polish at some point, I'm sure, but it'll be some time
before I'll be able to concentrate on it and it alone. Don't know if I'm still allowed on
Team Ł, but if you'd like your teammate back, I'm here. :)

Congrats on your choice of Norwegian for the 6WC! It should be a lot of fun, particularly
with Solfrid Cristin to give you a hand. Lykke til!

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 68 of 77
02 August 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
So most of what I did today was catching up with vocabulary. I missed a bunch because I was out of state,
although I'm back. I was planning on doing a bunch of language stuff in the car, but I fooled myself and got
nothing done, except read something in Danish.

Deutsch:

I caught up a lot on Anki, and I've been making a few bilingual texts here and there. They are mostly short
children's stories from Logos Library, although they have some vocabulary that is quite interesting :). I hope
to use longer and more complicated texts later, but for now I'm fine. I've been reading "Das Auge Gottes" and
it is quite interesting, and not too difficult, although there is a lot of unknown vocabulary (which I hope will
change as I continue to read). I actually brought a bilingual text with me yesterday when I went cliff jumping.
It was a story called Wassertropfen, and I actually picked up the word Vergrößerungsglas :D, which translates
to magnifying glass. Other than that, I've read through my big German grammar book, although I'm still
looking for the perfect one with plenty of exercises :), but I may still use German grammar drills. I DON'T
KNOW IT'S ALL SO CONFUSING. I need to make a decision soon :(. I hope to nevertheless finish a few more
bilingual stories by next time I post, and perhaps have made a decision regarding my German grammar book
:P.

Русский:

Again, I caught up on Anki, although I didn't get much done in the way of learning any grammar or whatnot.
There is a much need explanation for my Russian. Last year, I managed to get quite far in Russian grammar,
and pretty much know all of the cases, and their corresponding adjective declensions, as well as the verbal
system. My knowledge of Russian grammar makes going through any course boring, and I just don't know
what to do. I haven't a good grasp on vocabulary, which is why I must try to get through a course from the
bottom going up, but I just don't know how I'm going to do that without wanting to bang my head against the
wall. I think what I'm going to do, is PUSH through a couple of chapters of Princeton Russian, until it becomes
interesting. Vocabulary is becoming newer and newer so I don't understand how I will manage to do that. So
tonight, I think my goal is going to be to get through Chapter 2 and 3.

Polski: Nothing much in the way of Polish lately.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 69 of 77
13 August 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
YAY! Update :D

Deutsch: I entered another section of my vocabulary book into Anki, and caught up with 200+ reviews. I also
managed to load a bunch of German grammar books onto my Kindle in preparation for my flight tomorrow. I
also made two bilingual texts, which I will bring onto the plane and study when electronics are a nono
(takeoff and landing). Hopefully I can talk some German with my uncle, and I'll probably get a lot of reading
done. I really feel as if reading and translating German-English-German will help exponentially with my
fluency. I'm hoping to get at least 8 or 9 chapters of "German Grammar Drills" completed, as well as read a bit
more in my Hammer's German grammar book, where I will read up on the passive voice. I have begun to take
notes IN my Hammer's German grammar book, so hopefully I can make it a bit more of an "active"
experience.

Русский: I caught up with Anki reviews, although I still have yet to complete chapter 2 of PRC, which I hope to
do by Sunday, so I can get started on three. I have the first few sections of chapter 2 done, although I feel as
if it would only be proper to review them.

I also updated my Norwegian 6WC log :D.

And now I'm off to bed seeing as how it's very late.

Good night!

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 70 of 77
21 August 2011 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
So I have returned from vacation, and I am happy to say that I got more than I expected done with regards to
language learning (which from the start was not quite a lot).

Deutsch: I caught up with Anki reviews, and I did some bilingual text reading in the car going to various
places. I got to feed raccoons and hold a baby alligator (which was MUCH less scary than the 8 footer that
peered at us over the side of our boat!), so I learned how to say alligator and raccoon in German, which are
der Alligator/die Alligatoren, und der Waschbär/die Waschbären. I FINALLY found out how to go through my
big fat Hammer's German Grammar book. I'm going to read certain Chapters, and highlight sections I feel as
if I don't know (because it focuses a lot on usage), and then I will copy them down in my notebook and learn
them later. I am currently doing chapter 5 (I skipped around, but I will go back and do the first four at the
soonest chance I get). I am of course going to use GGD and Schaum's German grammar, however I will wait
for school to start to utilize them. I also got to speak German at a German restaurant we went to. These
people behind me were staring at us, but mainly because we had been speaking English a few seconds
before, and then I suddenly switched to German with the waitress (who I've met before). It was pretty cool,
although it did feel intimidating being only one of two English speaking tables (I was not with German family,
I was with Polish family, although we were speaking English for the sake of my uncle, who married into the
family and does not speak Polish, and my brother, who doesn't even know how to say hi).

Русский: I feel as if I should be writing in both of my languages, but I'd just embarrass myself with my
Russian, so I'm just going to suffice with writing in English for now. I did not get to complete my goals for
Russian, mainly because I forgot the bring the audio for my Princeton Russian course, and in turn had a
nervous breakdown at the airport upon arrival. I did, however, buy a new grammar book that is from the
same series which my first German grammar book is from. I also bought the Barron's vocabulary book, which
I will work on entering into my Russian studies ASAP, because god knows I LOVE vocabulary books :D.

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5425 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 

Message 71 of 77
31 August 2011 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
AHH! So unfortunately, the tristate area got smashed with a hurricane this past weekend, and I've not had power,
internet or cable since then, so I've not been able to update my logs. HOWEVER, I do in fact have a wonderful
library that has both power and internet, with which I can update my logs with :D. So despite the fact I've had to
use daylight/candle light to see things for the past few days, I have been getting stuff done with my languages. I
could not use my computer, so unfortunately there were no vocabulary studies, and Anki is backed up, so with
the measly few hours I have to use my computer, I will try and complete most of my Anki reviews. The only good
thing that has resulted from this hurricane (which in my opinion, is not good at all), is that school has been
delayed by a week and a day, and I am going to use the time to REALLY push forward in my 6WC, but also use it
as a chance to prepare for the school year affecting my regular TAC.

Deutsch: I have read some more in German (using bilingual texts), although I've not gotten to LISTEN to German,
so I'm charging my iPod so that I may do so with an audio book. Unfortunately I do not know if I will be going to
German school for native speakers on Saturdays anymore, although I will do my best to register. I have been
discussing college with my parents a lot lately, and we have come to the conclusion that going to University in
Germany would not be the best decision. My own reasons are mostly because I don't think I would be able to
handle the stress with going to a foreign university, and also that my parents can't really shell out 1200 USD per
person to fly over and visit schools whenever they please. However, I do know that many of my summers will be
spent in Germany, and I will do my best to try and somehow manipulate my university studies to include German,
or perhaps a year abroad. Meanwhile, I still intend to immerse myself in as much German as possible.

Русский: So I cracked open my new Russian vocabulary book, and I started to evaluate it, and it seems like a
genuinely good resource, so I intend to use it, however my method of attack will be different than that of my
German vocabulary book (where I just enter into Anki and I'm good to go). German vocabulary sticks like glue,
mainly because it's a natural language to me. Most of the words in my German vocabulary book feel FAMILIAR to
me, even though I do not know the meaning, which makes me believe that I may have heard or seen them before.
Russian is a different story. Vocabulary does not stick very well, although I believe with some wordlisting and
THEN entering them into Anki, I will be able to suck up this vocabulary book faster than a vacuum. I also
managed to read a lot of my new Russian grammar book :D. It's really good, and I feel as if reading through
THAT and my OTHER smallish Russian grammar book at least once will give me a solid grounding so I can be a
little less stressed about Russian grammar (even though I already know how to form and use all of the cases in
the singular). So happiness galor.

Polski: I got into a brawl with my grandmother in Polish...and ummmmm I watched a movie in Polish! No actual
learning lately though :(.

Hopefully internet will return to my house soon, so I can stop going insane.

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5984 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 72 of 77
01 September 2011 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
I didn't know there was a Russian Barron Vocabulary book thanks for posting about it. I tend to find Russian words don't stick in my head nearly as well as Spanish does.

This discussion contains 77 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version