202 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 4
20 December 2010 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
I started learning Italian about two weeks ago, with the aim of reaching a good
conversational level. I'm not trying to break any records, just learn nice and
steadily.

My aim is to be able to get by on holiday in Italy next year with my girlfriend. We
went to Greece last year, and as the people were so nice and accomodating, I felt
guilty I couldn't communicate properly. So I don't want the same to happen in Italy.

After lurking in the forum for a bit I took the plunge and sourced some resources.

I started out with Michel Thomas, then downloaded Pimsleur. I'm sticking with Pimsleur
for the time being, as I find the repetition really helps me retain the information.
Michel Thomas was perhaps a little quick, and from what I've read the Pimsleur
pronunciation is a lot better. So I'm planning on one or two Pimsleur lessons a day,
and perhaps in a week or two I'll start MT for a different perspective.
I've been translating http://www.dueparole.it/sommario_.asp. I don't like the idea of
just learning to speak Italian, as I love reading.
I've found google translate useful, but I'm aware these translation gadgets need to be
taken with a pinch of salt.

So far I love it! My experience of language learning at school was horrible. Excellent
teachers who, looking back struggled with a really poor syllabus. My intention is to
start regularly updating this log, mainly as a motivation aid. Unfortunately it's
probably going to be pretty boring for everyone else. I also use
www.dontbreakthechain.com, which is a REALLY powerful tool to help you keep at it. I
want to be able to write Italian as well, so when I reach that level I'm going to start
posting here in Italian. I'm going to start MT/Pimsleur French at some point soon, as
my girlfriend's dad has a house in France, and some lovely neighbours who I can only
just about say 'hello' to. I hate feeling like an ignorant English tourist abroad!
1 person has voted this message useful

Oasis88
Australia
Joined 5516 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 2 of 4
21 December 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
It makes me glad to finally see someone else on this forum with an Italian log. I was
beginning to fear that there were no other people focusing on this beautiful language.

Michael Thomas Italian is a fantastic programme. Pimsleur is rather slow and I gave up on
it after discovering MT. However, if Italian is your first romance language then I would
recommend doing both of them at the same time (perhaps staggering MT a week or two behind
Pimsleur, as you have already suggested).

Best of luck with your studies.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mr_chinnery
England
Joined 5568 days ago

202 posts - 297 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 4
21 December 2010 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Oasis88 wrote:
It makes me glad to finally see someone else on this forum with an
Italian log. I was
beginning to fear that there were no other people focusing on this beautiful language.

Michael Thomas Italian is a fantastic programme. Pimsleur is rather slow and I gave up
on
it after discovering MT. However, if Italian is your first romance language then I
would
recommend doing both of them at the same time (perhaps staggering MT a week or two
behind
Pimsleur, as you have already suggested).

Best of luck with your studies.

I was surprised by the lack of interest as well, but hey, at least there's two of us :D

I've just finished lesson seven of unit 1 of Pimsleur, and I think I've just caught up
with where I was with MT. For example, how dropping the 'Lei' off 'Lei vorrebbe
mangiare adesso?' doesn't change the meaning. There does eem to be a bit of snobbery in
the forum: there seems to be alot more kudos attached to mandarin and Korean than
boring old Italian, but I love it so I'm not bothered. There's alot of hate towards
Pimsleur as well, but it seems to come from the more seasoned linguists here.I can
imagine it's too slow for those with tried and tested methods, but for a novice like
me, it's just about perfect, and I would recommend it to anyone starting learning their
first foreign language.

I found another useful resource last night on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/uChefpuntoit. I'm a chef myself, so it'd great fun picking
through these videos for any vocab I recognise, and learning new stuff I don't by
putting it in google translate until I get the spelling right.

Still having major trouble getting the rolling R not sounding forced, but I'm sure it
will come with practice. But after seven lessons of Pimsleur, I'd be confident asking a
young Italian woman if she'd like to drink beer or wine, at her place or mine, so
that's a milestone. Not sure what my girlfriend would think though.
1 person has voted this message useful

Oasis88
Australia
Joined 5516 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 4 of 4
21 December 2010 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
It makes complete sense that you're learning Italian as a chef.

And I completely agree with you on both counts. It seems as though Italian does not
demand respect from a widely English speaking demographic who consequently consider it an
"easy" language. You're also right about Pimsleur. I used it when learning Spanish and it
was indispensable. As a first language you can't possibly go wrong with it.

P.S. The link looks good. But honestly, I'm that terrible in the kitchen that even if I
were to translate it all into English I'd be none the wiser.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version