flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 89 of 243
03 April 2012 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
All in all, What Is Stephen Harper Reading?
Mais que lit Stephen Harper? was well worth the three
months' reading effort. Some very good writing: in turn lyrical, moving, sharp, and funny. Engaging responses
to the literature; Best of all, it introduced me a number of titles which I wouldn't have otherwise considered
reading, or in some cases not even have known of.

Not all of the books discussed, by the way, are "High Literature" -- not by any means. The books sent at
Christmas time, for example, are children's books.

Martel's now discontinued their little "book club of two" as he calls it, to focus on his own writing. But happily
for us, we can still read his recommendations and writing online, even if we aren't getting fortnightly
deliveries of books, along with personalized reviews.

Edited by songlines on 03 April 2012 at 7:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 90 of 243
06 April 2012 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
It's Good Friday today, and in honour of the occasion, I'd like to offer a quote from one chapter of David Sedaris'
Me Talk
Pretty One Day

In this essay, a group of beginning French-language students are trying, with woefully little success, to explain
(in their rudimentary French), the concept of Easter to a classmate.

Quote:

...The Moroccan student interrupted, shouting, "Excuse me, but what's an Easter?"

Despite her having grown up in a Muslim country, it seemed she might have heard it mentioned once or twice,
but no. "I mean it," she said. "I have no idea what you people are talking about."

The teacher then called upon the rest of us to explain.

The Poles led the charge to the best of their ability. "It is," said one, "a party for the little boy of God who call his
self Jesus and . . . oh, sh*t."

She faltered, and her fellow countryman came to her aid.

"He call his self Jesus, and then he be die one day on two . . . morsels of . . . lumber."

The rest of the class jumped in, offering bits of information that would have given the pope an aneurysm.

"He die one day, and then he go above of my head to live with your father."

"He weared the long hair, and after he died, the first day he come back here for to say hello to the peoples."

"He nice, the Jesus."

"He make the good things, and on the Easter we be sad because somebody makes him dead today."

Part of the problem had to do with grammar. Simple nouns such as cross and resurrection were beyond our
grasp, let alone such complicated reflexive phrases as "To give of yourself your only begotten son." Faced with
the challenge of explaining the cornerstone of Christianity, we did what any self-respecting group of people
might do. We talked about food instead.

"Easter is a party for to eat of the lamb," the Italian nanny explained. "One, too, may eat of the chocolate."

"And who brings the chocolate?" the teacher asked.

I knew the word, and so I raised my hand, saying, "The Rabbit of Easter. He bring of the chocolate."

My classmates reacted as though I'd attributed the delivery to the Antichrist. They were mortified.

"A rabbit?" The teacher, assuming I'd used the wrong word, positioned her index fingers on top of her head,
wiggling them as though they were ears. "You mean one of these? A rabbit rabbit?"

"Well, sure," I said. "He come in the night when one sleep on a bed. With a hand he have the basket and foods."

The teacher sadly shook her head, as if this explained everything that was wrong with my country. "No, no," she
said. "Here in France the chocolate is brought by the big bell that flies in from Rome."

I called for a time-out. "But how do the bell know where you live?"

"Well," she said, "how does a rabbit?"...

Joyeuses Pâques à tous / Happy Easter, everyone! May you eat well of the chocolate of the big bell or the rabbit-
rabbit.   

Edited by songlines on 06 April 2012 at 6:44am

2 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 91 of 243
09 April 2012 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Summary from the past week:

16 pages read, primarily of Harry Potter et la coupe de feu. Unfortunately, Read and Think French had to
be returned to the library.

26 minutes of news.

220 minutes (ie 3 hours, 40 minutes) of Assimil.

Edited by songlines on 09 April 2012 at 9:17pm

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 92 of 243
09 April 2012 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
In other news, I'm reading Edmund de
Waal's The Hare with Amber Eyes. It's a
beautifully written and fascinating work of non-fiction, in which de Waal, a well-known British potter and
ceramicist, researches the provenance of a collection of 264
netsuke which he's inherited.   In doing so, he retraces his
family's history, from humble beginnings as grain traders in Odessa, to heads of a pan-European financial
dynasty which was destroyed when the Nazis came to power.

The first section of the book looks at the young Charles Ephrussi, who bought the netsuke, and was later to
become one of the models for Proust's Charles Swann. Charles Ephrussi was a writer, collector, and patron of the
arts. The Paris section is rich with details of Impressionist art and life. De Waal's very good at describing and
evoking this and other particular milieux: of an affluent, cultured, sophisticated, circle of people equally at home
in the Parc Monçeau area of Paris, or the Ringstrasse, Vienna. He's also excellent at following individual
biographies and weaving them into the wider narrative threads of his book.    

But I thought that the polyglots and language-learners on this forum might especially like this excerpt about his
youth in Vienna in the 1860s, where he's raised with his siblings and three cousins:

Quote:

... A tutor comes each morning.   They are always to speak French at home, and are allowed to use Russian
amongst themselves, but must not be caught speaking the Yiddish that they picked up in the courtyards in
Odessa.   All these cousins can start a sentence in one language and finish it in another. They need these
languages, as the family travels to Odessa, to St. Petersburg, to Berlin and Frankfurt and Paris. They also need
these languages as are they are denominators of class. With languages, you can move from one social situation
to another. With languages, you are at home anywhere.

Edited by songlines on 09 April 2012 at 9:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 93 of 243
17 April 2012 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
Summary from the past week:

-80 minutes of Assimil
-143 minutes of various podcasts, notably of the transcripted Le Service protestant:
http://www.franceculture.fr/emission-service-protestant (copy and paste, removing spaces inserted by the
forum software), and also from the non-transcripted France24.
-70 pages read, primarily of Harry Potter et la coupe de feu (ie #4 in the series).

Total:
70 pages, and
223 minutes (ie 3 hours, 43 minutes)

Edited by songlines on 17 April 2012 at 5:15am

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 94 of 243
17 April 2012 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
I've also started making flashcards of some of the French "conversation connectors" that were available in a
handy, multilingual spreadsheet: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=31179&PN=1 (remove any extra spaces inserted by the forum software).

Thanks to all the Lingq and HtLaL members who worked on it, and also to Splog who started it all with his
wonderful Connectors starter pack
of Czech phrases.

I've also realized that Benny (of Fluent in Three Months) offers a version of
Learning with Texts which doesn't involve a somewhat daunting
installation procedure.

So those two (the Connectors flashcards, and LWT work) are likely to be my continuing projects for the coming
week.

Edited by songlines on 17 April 2012 at 5:51am

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 95 of 243
18 April 2012 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
On the conversation front (small as it is), I had a ten to fifteen-minute French conversation with a library patron
("customer" in management-speak; but most of us in the front ranks still use "patron"). The unusual aspect
being that this patron was actually from Russia, but - so I gather - bilingual in both French and Russian. He was
quite pleased to find a French-language speaker (he was generous in applying the term to me) at the library; and,
for my part, I was delighted to have such an accommodating conversation partner.

He noted, as a newcomer to the city, that it's difficult finding a French speaker in Toronto; I was only the second
whom he'd encountered. True, Francophones are here, but not necessarily "obvious". We have - among
other things - the Centre francophone, the Alliance Française, the Salon du livre de Toronto, Cinéfranco, Thêatre
français de Toronto, the Toronto French School, a couple (I think) of lycées; York University's bilingual Glendon
College campus, etc. But there's no geographic "nucleus" for the community, and unless you're attending a
French event, you won't necessarily know if you've crossed paths with a Francophone - until they start to speak in
French, or with a French accent, of course.

Working at two downtown locations, I'm fortunate in that we get a fair number of French speakers using both my
branches. I've established a set conversational repertoire related to getting library cards, loan periods, other
branches where we have larger French collections, use of the computers, etc. Very occasionally, I may venture
further slightly further afield. Generally, patrons seem to have been very receptive to my attempts at the
language; I'm of course pleased, but under no illusions when they compliment me on my French. My
conversational skills are still at the "it's obvious she's a learner"-level, and I'm grateful for any kindness and
encouragement.

We do have a number of patrons from Morocco, Tunisia, Lebanon, etc., and the former French West Africa, with
whom I occasionally have short conversations (or at least exchange greetings) in French. And, naturally, there
are also people who've moved to Toronto from Quebec, Francophone communities in Northern Ontario, and -
less frequently - from New Brunswick.

Amongst our branch's patrons, two French speakers stand out in my memory. One was an older Chinese patron
from Shanghai, who had learnt it as a youth - I believe in the French Concession area; and eventually, after the
Cultural Revolution, became a professor of French at a Chinese university. Reading between the lines, I thought
he must have had an incredible life: just making it through the Cultural Revolution as a speaker of a foreign
language, and an intellectual, for example. Yet, when he spoke of what some of us in the West refer to as "the
Communist takeover", he used the phrase "après la Libération..."

I may have also previously mentioned another patron, a native Japanese speaker who'd been based in
Luxembourg for a number of years, and hence also spoke German, French, and some English. As he was retired
and had ample leisure, he always took a few minutes to talk to me en français when he visited the branch.

Both of them seemed to be incredibly nice people, with old-world manners; almost courtly in their
politeness. I suspect that they were around the same age, and - although they came to the library during
different periods and thus would never have actually met - I sometimes wondered what a conversation between
the two, given their respective cultural and national backgrounds, would have been like. Would they have found
common ground in their affinity for French? Or would historical events involving their respective "motherlands"
have cast a sombre shadow? (Though both were probably old enough to have lived through the Second World
War [and the Second Sino-Japanese War], neither seemed old enough to have fought during the period. )

Both seem to now have returned to their respective countries; I think of them from time to time, remembering
their graciousness and hoping that, when I'm their age, I'll still be speaking French (but, one hopes, with a
better accent and more skill than I now have!).

Edited by songlines on 18 April 2012 at 7:56am

3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 96 of 243
02 May 2012 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
Brief summary of my French efforts in the past fortnight, up to Monday 30th April:

32 minutes of mixed podcasts/news
120 minutes of Assimil
107 minutes of a film, Spielberg's Tintin. (Fr dialogue/ Fr captions)
240 pages of reading. Harry Potter et la coupe de feu.

Total (not including reading time):259 minutes, or 4 hours, 19 minutes. Plus 240 pages read.

Have also signed up for the 6WC in French. Realized, reading Emk's log, that my French is definitely still under or
at the low B1 level.   At least this means that it's still not too advanced to be my primary 6WC language.

Edited: to correct a numeric typo.

Edited by songlines on 03 May 2012 at 2:05am

This discussion contains 243 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version