flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 73 of 243
14 February 2012 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
Have fallen by the wayside with my log posts, but fortunately haven't lagged quite as badly in my
language-learning. A quick summary of language-related activity since my last post:

Finished the Tadokubot in 45th position, with a total of 294 pages read.

Started the Six Week Challenge, with Mandarin as my "official" target language, but with plans to focus on my
French instead. Did a brief Chinese Pod stint just to get off the absolute bottom of the leader board, and am
currently at 9 hours 50 mins for my "total languages" tally. (Updated to correct: had typo in one of my tweets,
and the Bot didn't count it.)

Finished:
L'Invention de Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick.
Le Secret de La Licorne, by Hergé
Le Trésor de Rackham le Rouge, by Hergé

Still also reading:
Seras-tu là? by Guillaume Musso
Mais que lit Stephen Harper? by Yann Martel
Harry Potter et la coupe de feu, by J.K. Rowling.

Up to only the 60th lesson in Assimil; also having trouble disciplining myself to do the "second wave".

Watched in French:
-Un Jour, by Lone Scherfig. Charming leads; but the film is cinematically unchallenging.
-Marie Antoinette, by Sofia Coppola.   Amazing location shooting, with a frothy, confection-hued colour palette.
(Think of Ladurée macarons.) I've admired both Coppola's and Kirsten Dunst's work, but hesitate to recommend
this; a provocative interpretation of the historical events/personages, and musical choices, among other things.
Filming at Versailles itself must have been quite an experience, though.   (Impressive production design and art
direction.)
-Monsieur Lazhar, by Philippe Falardeau. (Mentioned previously; re-watched at the cinema with a friend).

Edited by songlines on 14 February 2012 at 8:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 74 of 243
14 February 2012 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
L'Invention de Hugo Cabret, by Brian Sezlnick
http://www.theinventionofhugocabret.com/

I wanted to read this before going to watch Scorsese's film, and am glad to have done so. For those who aren't
familiar with it, the book is an unusual hybrid: neither a conventional (for want of a better word) novel, nor a
"graphic novel". The narrative is carried through both the illustrations and the text, each supporting and
interweaving the other. Set in a 1930s Paris train station, its central protagonist is an orphaned boy, one of a
long line of horologists, who takes on (in his uncle's stead) the task of maintaining the station clocks.
Meanwhile, he tries to repair an automaton - one of two things left of his father's - all the while hiding from
authorities who could send him to an orphanage.

In his quest to repair the automaton, Hugo steals toy parts from an old toymaker, and is caught doing so; but is
then himself tangled up with the toymaker's life in unpredictable and wondrous ways.

A fascinating work, rich with diverse and sometimes surprising elements: childhood; the period between the
wars; automata; the history of the early years of film-making, especially that of silent films; and Paris itself.

Selznick celebrates the magic of cinema, and the power of art to connect like-minded spirits, whether years
hence, or across generations. - Well worth reading, whether or not one's planning to watch Scorsese's
Hugo.

One side note: the margins in the book are generous, and a good third of the book is comprised of full (or
double)-page illustrations. (I accordingly prorated my 6WC page count.) Call me shallow, but there's also
something very satisfying about reading a thick, substantial book in a second language, and feeling that I'm
whizzing through it. ("Reached page 100 already..."; "Now, 175..!") Of course, after I finished it in French, I went
to the local big-box store, sat down with the English original, and finished that in a mere fraction of the
time I'd taken to do so in French!

Edited by songlines on 15 February 2012 at 6:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5738 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 75 of 243
15 February 2012 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:

Amazing location shooting, with a frothy, confection-hued colour palette.
(Think of Ladurée macarons.)

Wow, how perfectly and deliciously descriptive!
1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 76 of 243
15 February 2012 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
[QUOTE=songlines]
Wow, how perfectly and deliciously descriptive!

Thanks, Spanky. But to be perfectly honest (and fair to Coppola and her production team), the macarons
themselves make an appearance in the film itself (though not in Ladurée box, bien sûr), and are also - if memory
serves -mentioned as an inspiration in one of the DVD commentaries.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 77 of 243
29 February 2012 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
Summary for the past fortnight: Currently at 24 hours, 25 minutes for my French total, as recorded by
6WCBot.

-News was a combination of Le Téléjournal Ontario, RFI, and France 24.
-One quite interesting podcast from Le Service Protestant, on "le Christianisme social". (Perhaps more on this
later.)

Still: Harry Pottering, still on Guillaume Musso, and also Yann Martel.
Still: Assimil-ing.
Finished: Amours Fragile: Katarina, a bande-dessinée, by Jean-Michel Beuriot, & Philippe Richelle. I came
across this series a few years ago, and was pleased to find this fourth instalment at the library. It is, I understand,
quite well known in France. Set in the period before and during the Second World War, it follows the lives of a
number of characters; some German, others French.

Started (and recommending this for other "Romantics" at French A2/B1 CEFR levels):
Read and Think French, a
book and CD set. Not all of the articles in the book are on the CD, but - on the plus side - there
are handy glossaries in the margins of each page, explaining the trickier vocab. - A tremendously handy time-
saving feature!

Articles include a range of news-magazine type topics, in the areas of:
Culture, Voyages, Tradition, Célébration, Biographie, et Coutumes. Nothing too taxing, but still
offering interesting glimpses into French culture and la francophonie.

Sample topics:
-The bustling markets of Senegal
-Pastis, a traditional drink from Provence
-The maple harvest of Quebec
-Bises ou pas bises: To kiss or not to kiss?
-Easter in France. (Though, for me, the best possible essay on Easter in France remains the greatly amusing one
by David Sedaris, in his collection "Me Talk Pretty One Day": in which a class of French language learners,
collectively without sufficient vocabulary, try to explain "les Pâques" to a Muslim classmate. )

The book's from the editors of Think French magazine.
Compared to the $100 subscription fee for Think French online, this $20 book-plus-CD set, with approx. 100
two-page articles, seems much better value indeed. Or you might even be able to borrow it from your local
public library, as I've done, which - for me - is best. Much as I find this useful, it's not the type of book which I'm
likely to want re-read.

Updated to add: I've realized that the Amazon link also allows you to preview (text) samples from the book. -
Check it out!

Edited by songlines on 29 February 2012 at 5:45pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 243
01 March 2012 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
For all website addresses below, please copy and paste any non-linking website addresses, removing extra
spaces inserted by the forum software.

As mentioned above, one of the podcasts I listened to a couple of weeks ago was an interesting episode from the
Service Protestant: http://www.franceculture.fr/emission-service-protestant-la-r elance-du-christianisme-
social-2010-07-18.html  (The audio for this archived sermon is no longer available online, but I still had it in my
iTunes feed.)

The pastor, Stéphane Lavignotte, is affiliated with "la Mission populaire évangélique de France"; and his sermon
was on the "la relance du Christianisme social" (loosely translated as the "revival of Social Christianity"). I had
been previously unaware of this movement, but it seems to be one which focuses on social justice issues.
Fittingly, the music was also something of a departure from the usual Service Protestant round of hymns
interspersed with classical music.   This podcast included: La Butte Rouge
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Butte_rouge , an
anti-war song popularized by Yves Montand (among others); Le chant des partisans
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chant_des_Partisans   
which Wikipedia describes as "the most popular song of the Free French during World War Two" ( so much so that
it was later a candidate for the French national anthem); a piece entitled "La nuit du 10 au 11 mai
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai_68 ; and
it closed with a Curt Smith cover of "On ira tous au paradis", which left me humming the refrain well after the
song had faded out. I loved the fact that not only was much of the music appropriate to the topic of the sermon,
but that many of the pieces also seemed so profoundly French, - A culturally enriching bonus to my
linguistic diet.

Which brings us to... Vocabulary:

-la misère ouvrière: working class poverty
-saper : to undermine (of course! "sappers" in the trenches during WW1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapper And, thanks to Wikipedia,
we learn that it's derived from an archaic French word for "spade". )
-la tentation: temptation
-mepriser: to despise, to scorn
-assoiffé de paix: thirsty for peace
-l'analphabétisme: illiteracy
-en décalage avec une realité sociale: out of step with social reality
-les militants: activists
-les croyants: believers
-le joug: the yoke
-le péché: sin (noun). (Now, if fish could sin... )
-"manif" - short for "manifestation": demonstration
-les échappatoires: loopholes (I keep thinking there should be an English word, "echap(p)atory" derived from
this, used as in "his echap(p)atory manoeuvres were useless once he was audited by the tax authorities"; but the
word seems to be a figment of my imagination.)
-la louange: praise (noun)
-la miséricorde: mercy (noun) . (And I've just realized the etymological connection with misericords in church
pews: they were also known as "mercy seats".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misericord )

If anyone notices any mistakes in the vocab list above, please feel free to give me a shout. - Thanks!

Edited to correct typo ("louange").

Edited by songlines on 03 March 2012 at 7:48am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 79 of 243
01 March 2012 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
What a great vocabulary list. I want to work some of those into my conversation!

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4991 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 80 of 243
02 March 2012 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
What a great vocabulary list. I want to work some of those into my conversation!

Thanks, so do I!

But seriously, one of the nice things about a list like this one is that the ecclesiastically-oriented words it it (e.g.
praise, sin, mercy, believers, temptation) will be certain to pop up again if I continue listening to the
Service Protestant. So the reading (or LR-ing) should get easier as I build my vocabulary. There are different
authors/preachers for the sermons, so there's enough variety to stay interesting, but many of the same themes
will continue to be explored, and often using the same key vocabulary.

And, of course, you never know when social activism vocabulary will come in handy...! Though if you're
learning "la manifestation", let's hope you don't also perforce learn "le gaz lacrymogène". [smile]

Edited by songlines on 02 March 2012 at 7:25am

This discussion contains 243 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version