Canada
Joined 5445 days ago

59 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese

Message 65 of 243
17 January 2012 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Salut Songlines!

Bonne chance dans ton apprentissage! Étant québécoise, je suis très contente qu'un canadien anglais s'intéresse
à ma langue et je te souhaite une bonne continuation! En plus, ma mère est malentendante aussi alors ;) …

En passant, concernant le vocabulaire que tu as relevé dans «Mais que lis Stephen Harper», on ne dit pas «en
grandissante» mais «en grandissant». L'expression «en …-ant» n'est jamais conjuguée… ex. «en marchant», «en
courant», etc. Et l'«angoisse» prend deux «s». Je veux seulement bien m'assurer que tu apprends les bonnes
expressions. J'ai fait l'erreur de mal transcrire certains mots en japonais dans mon SRS et ça m'a apporté
beaucoup de confusion par la suite.

Je n'ai lu que la première et dernière page de ton journal/log mais, si tu as toujours de la difficulté à écouter Tout
le monde en parle, je te suggère de regarder des émissions plus formelles… Le Téléjournal, peut-être? As-tu
accès à RDI, qui est une chaîne de nouvelles en continu?

Edited by Patriciaa on 17 January 2012 at 5:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4969 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 66 of 243
17 January 2012 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
Patriciaa wrote:

En passant, concernant le vocabulaire que tu as relevé dans «Mais que lis Stephen Harper», on ne dit pas «en
grandissante» mais «en grandissant». L'expression «en …-ant» n'est jamais conjuguée… ex. «en marchant», «en
courant», etc. Et l'«angoisse» prend deux «s».

Ah, bien sür; merci!

Patriciaa wrote:
Je n'ai lu que la première et dernière page de ton journal/log mais, si tu as toujours de la
difficulté à écouter Tout le monde en parle, je te suggère de regarder des émissions plus formelles… Le
Téléjournal, peut-être? As-tu accès à RDI, qui est une chaîne de nouvelles en continu?

Yes, I've also been using Le Téléjournal; it's a good suggestion, thanks. There's a summary (post 22, page 3 of
this thread) of the news sources I've tried/discovered, but I'm always glad to learn of others. Thanks also for the
corrections; they're always appreciated.   - I don't currently have writing as one of my primary language-learning
goals, but it's best to try to avoid spelling /grammar mistakes if possible.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4969 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 67 of 243
25 January 2012 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
A pitiful showing, this past week. Summary:   

-Reading: 20 pages in total, split between Yann Martel's Mais que lit Stephen Harper?, and Rowling's Harry
Potter et la coupe de feu
-Flashcards: 15 minutes.
-News: 15 minutes. Le Téléjournal Ontario.

-Video: 103 minutes. L'heure d'été,, (Summer Hours) by Oliver Assayas. Unfortunately only subtitled; not
captioned. (Another Criterion video.)   A well-made film, but certainly not as lighthearted as Un conte de
Noël
, my previously viewed French film. The plot focuses on three siblings, and the sale of the family home
and dispersal of inherited art pieces, following their mother's death. It can make for somewhat pensive viewing.

-Video: 60 minutes.   Inventaire, (Inventory) a documentary "extra", about the making of the Assayas film.
L'heure... started life as a piece commissioned by the Musée d'Orsay, and the documentary looks at the
d'Orsay, the role the museum (and some of its artifacts) played in the film, and also the wider subject of art as a
living part of people's lives, rather than objects admired from afar. (For example, antique desks, vases, and other
furnishings being put to daily use.) Quite interesting, and - a bonus! - at a level of French I could (for the most
part) understand.

- Film: 103 minutes. Starbuck. Seen sometime; not sure
when - possibly last week? But since I hadn't included it in last week's summary, I'm popping it in here. A
delightful comedy. One can, to a certain degree, tell which way the plot's headed, but it's great fun nevertheless.
"Heartwarming" best describes it. (A side note: some accents in this are broader than - say - in Monsieur Lazhar;
the subtitles certainly helped.)

Tadoku Bot ranking: 59, with a total of 136.50 pages.

Edited by songlines on 25 January 2012 at 6:48am

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4969 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 243
25 January 2012 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
Another film recommendation for my fellow French-studying "Romantics":
Monsieur Lazhar, Canada's entry for the Oscar for Best
Foreign Language Film . I saw it at the TIFF last September. Superb performances from the three main actors,
with slightly bittersweet elements (it deals - among other things - with the aftermath of a teacher's suicide). A
lovely, understated, and quietly moving film.

Updated to add the website for the film
http://www.monsieurlazhar.com/ , with trailer and additional
information en français, and to hive this post off my weekly summary.

Edited by songlines on 25 January 2012 at 6:52am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5369 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 69 of 243
25 January 2012 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Merci pour les recommandations de films :)

blackdahlia
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4489 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Studies: German, French
Personal Language Map

Message 70 of 243
25 January 2012 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Hi Songlines,

I keep missing your log b/c I generally just look for logs with 'Romantics' in the title, so I finally went to our team page.

I'm going to have to read yours in depth, what a wealth of information! And thanks for the film recommendations, I really am not good at understanding spoken French yet, but I'm squirreling these away for later.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6000 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 71 of 243
25 January 2012 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
I really enjoy reading your log. It's well-written and it's interesting to get another
perspective on French than the European one. I've actually seen L'heure d'été twice.
Can't really explain why I like it, mainly the athmosphère I suppose, and some
good low-key acting.

Keep writing!

/aloysius

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4969 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 72 of 243
26 January 2012 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Quabazaa, Blackdahlia, and Aloysius, thanks so much for your comments, and for visiting my
log!

I'm a bit of a film buff (spending ten days of my vacation each year to sit in the dark watching 40+ films at
http://tiff.net/thefestival ), so there'll probably be more film reviews and
recommendations yet to come, over the course of the year. If anyone's free during the second to third week of
September, I highly recommend a visit to Toronto: it's a feast for linguistically-enthusiastic film geeks. Picking
up an old programme at random, I counted, from the index, 60 countries as originating (or sharing co-
production) for the 300 films. Even allowing for the fact that this doesn't mean there are 60 languages
represented (Portugal and Brazil both use Portuguese; the UK, US, and many of the Commonwealth countries use
English; a film from Luxembourg could be in any of four languages, etc...); or that there may be only one
short film in Wolof, it does indicate an incredible linguistic and cultural diversity.

Updated to add: If anyone is thinking of attending the TIFF, feel free to PM me if you have any questions,
or need tips/strategies on TIFF survival techniques.

Edited by songlines on 27 January 2012 at 5:43am

This discussion contains 243 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version