Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6858 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 9 of 29
15 April 2006 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
Good job AML. It's a nice addition to the ever-growing profile list.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Headmaster
United States
Joined 6437 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Hindi, French

Message 10 of 29
04 September 2006 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Very good. It would really help me when I start Hebrew.

dontaskjeevez
United States
Joined 6460 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes

Message 11 of 29
15 October 2006 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Sivan Shavit is a really cool Israeli singer, I don't speak hebrew but I love her
voice, if your interested in israeli music definetly check her out
2 persons have voted this message useful

jankagan
Tetraglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6063 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Afrikaans, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Spanish

Message 12 of 29
08 October 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Mention that Hebrew is somewhat similar to Arabic, and if you know one, easier to learn the other?

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6472 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 13 of 29
16 July 2008 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Nice job, AML.

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5680 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 14 of 29
27 October 2008 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Very good. Along with Greek, Hebrew is at the heart of our own western civilisation. Maybe more mention of learning resources and Israeli bookstores would be helpful.
2 persons have voted this message useful

MichaelM204351
Diglot
United States
Joined 5225 days ago

151 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 15 of 29
09 April 2011 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Knowing Hebrew does indeed make Arabic easier due to similar vocabulary and grammar. The alphabets are very different, however.

There's a lot of good Israeli music and even some Hebrew music by American artists who are Jewish. Some is in the modern alternative style, some rock, some traditional, etc. Some of myfavorites are: Idan Raichel, Yael Naim, and Blue Fringe. There are many others, all of which are very easy to get a hold of abroad through the internet.

There are a plethora of movies you can get in Hebrew. Many were actually created in Hebrew. In addition to Movies made in Hebrew, many Disney and other films are available for purchase online.

My favorite resources are the curriculum created by ulpanor.com, the materials listed above, and FSI Basic Hebrew Course.

When can this profile be added?

benzion
Diglot
Israel
Joined 4791 days ago

4 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, EnglishC2
Studies: Russian, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 16 of 29
11 April 2011 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Good Morning,
Arabic is close to hebrew and there are some shared vocabulary. with a little diffrent there are also words from persian as well. like the number 6 is sound the same in persian and hebrew and also the word for "time"... as I deep into the arabic and farsi I learnd that. Arabic has more sounds in it from the throat : for example the word for "earth" is somehow "ahrd" (It's hard for me to write it down proparly - the 'ah' is like 'a' from the deep throat) this in arabic, in hebrew is "eretz" you see that they transform to 'e' from 'ah' and the 'd' in the end is translate to 'tz' -this is one example on how they borrowed words from arabic to modern hebrew.

another think the word for poor in hebrew is meaning rich in arabic "ani"(hebrew) "rani"(arabic) - again the r is from the throat and translated to simple 'a'. Also the genderes are somehow opposite. 'male' objects in Hebrew is 'female' objects in arabic for most of them.

For conclusion : arabic is close to hebrew and when you master hebrew you can learn arabic and see it's easier. There are only two!! only two!! Times in arabic : Past and Present-Future. By the way the arabic I learn is spoken arabic that popular in Israel and the area ,not the written one !!

Good luck to all with the Hebrew.
http://10tv.nana10.co.il/
channel 10 live from israel. you can click on VOD shows on the squares on the top streaming screan.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version