Groupie
Australia
Joined 5034 days ago

83 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Modern Hebrew

Message 17 of 29
11 April 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the guide, i just started learning today -)
1 person has voted this message useful

pinkeyemusic
United States
Joined 4757 days ago

4 posts - 7 votes
Studies: Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 18 of 29
14 April 2011 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
MichaelM204351 wrote:
Knowing Hebrew does indeed make Arabic easier due to similar vocabulary and
grammar. The alphabets are very different, however.

About the alphabets, sure they look different, mainly because one is in block style (kind of like writing in ALL CAPS)
and the other looks more like cursive handwriting, but the symbols and sounds that they represent are pretty
similar. There are a few different phonemes, for example Arabic doesn't have a /p/ phoneme, but you can find
sound correspondences between the languages easily, and the alphabets (abjad, actually) are perfectly suited to the
languages. Certainly not like English written in the Latin script! what a nightmare!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6010 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 19 of 29
14 April 2011 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
This show, Arab Labor, (Hebrew: עבודה ערבית‎, Avoda Aravit; Arabic: شغل عَرَب‎) is absolutely brilliant! It is called the
Palestinian Seinfeld.

It is about 80% Hebrew with about 20% Palestinian Arabic. You can watch episodes free online here:

Arab labor

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5903 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 20 of 29
14 April 2011 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Very nice work on the profile.

However, it does not include enough information on Biblical Hebrew. I am assuming this profile is meant to cover both Biblical and Modern?

Edited by JW on 14 April 2011 at 2:07pm

MichaelM204351
Diglot
United States
Joined 5225 days ago

151 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 21 of 29
17 April 2011 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Biblical Hebrew is not so different from Modern Hebrew. The only main difference is the
use of a verb conjugation for feminine third person plural which is not commonly used
today. Also Biblical Hebrew possesses a much smaller vocabulary than modern Hebrew.
Some words are slightly different (for example, the biblical Hebrew word for 'to say' is
'leemor', while in modern Hebrew it is 'lomar'), but they are the exception, not the
rule. Simply put, if King david were to walk the streets of Jerusalem today, he would
totally be understood. He just might need to spend a day or two adjusting to some
new vocab. Believe it or not, he probably didn't know the Hebrew word for 'car.' ;o)
2 persons have voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5903 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 22 of 29
17 April 2011 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
MichaelM204351 wrote:
Biblical Hebrew is not so different from Modern Hebrew. The only main difference is the use of a verb conjugation for feminine third person plural which is not commonly used today. Also Biblical Hebrew possesses a much smaller vocabulary than modern Hebrew. Some words are slightly different (for example, the biblical Hebrew word for 'to say' is 'leemor', while in modern Hebrew it is 'lomar'), but they are the exception, not the rule. Simply put, if King david were to walk the streets of Jerusalem today, he would totally be understood. He just might need to spend a day or two adjusting to some new vocab. Believe it or not, he probably didn't know the Hebrew word for 'car.' ;o)

The parts of the profile that would be different for Biblical vs Modern would be:

Usefulness - the reasons to learn Biblical are much different than Modern. These reasons would be interesting to enumerate

Vocabulary - There are exactly 8,674 words in the Hebrew Bible.

Books and Resources - The resources for learning Biblical are much different and much more sophisticated than those available for learning Modern. Thus under the "Time Needed" section, a measure of ability can be obtained more quickly than the one to two years required to learn Modern--although this is probably the amount of time needed to really master Biblical--i.e., to pick up the Hebrew Bible and be able to more or less read it.

Also, under vocabulary, I have heard it said that Modern Hebrew is really "Yiddish relexified" i.e., that the syntax and construction is more Yiddish, i.e., Germanic, as opposed to Biblical which is Semitic in it's syntax. I don't know if others that know both Modern and Biblical see it this way--I lack the experience with Modern to make the judgement.

MichaelM204351
Diglot
United States
Joined 5225 days ago

151 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 23 of 29
17 April 2011 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I see what you're saying... I'll work on this.

I really don't see too much of a difference as far as syntax goes. I do occasionally come
across something while reading Torah that sounds different from how it would be said in
modern Hebrew, but nothing too different (but then again, I am not totally fluent). I do
know some Yiddish and I wouldn't say the syntax is similar at all, in my opinion...

I don't know Biblical Hebrew resources too well (I learned through a yeshiva). Do you
know of good resources that we could put on the profile?

zamie
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5034 days ago

83 posts - 126 votes 
Studies: German, Modern Hebrew

Message 24 of 29
17 April 2011 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
Hello, i don't know about biblical hebrew resources, but i found a book on the internet
that is free, and seems to be a complete grammar of modern hebrew. The book seems to be
in its complete form as well. Maybe it's illegal, not at all sure.

http://www.futuretg.com/FTHumanEvolutionCourse/FTFreeLearnin gKits/06-LA-Languages/047-
LA07-Hebrew/Lewis%20Glinert%20-%20Modern%20Hebrew,%20An%20Es sential%20Grammar%203ed.pdf

EDit:

Oh, it doesn't seem to work when I access it via the link in the post. To find the book
then, just google the phrase 'modern Hebrew an essential grammar' and click on the first
result.

Edited by zamie on 17 April 2011 at 6:27am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version