Groupie
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Mandarin, Persian

Message 1 of 10
22 December 2010 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
This is my first participation in TAC. Hopefully I'll do well and I'll keep motivated throughout the whole year.

My two main languages for this year will be Swedish and Swahili.

Swedish
Absolutely no prior knowledge. I will be using the FSI course, along with Pimsleur Swedish. Once I finish those I'll find more materials.

Swahili
Pretty much no prior knowledge. I know the words rafiki, Jambo, and habari. Again, I'll be using the FSI course and the Pimsleur. I also have a small dictionary/phrasebook that I will be using.

My other languages are the ones I have already been studying.
Persian, Mandarin, German, and Russian. Unfortunately, I haven't actively studied any of these languages in probably 2 months....I know, shame shame. So much of the progress I had made has probably been lost. However, I will not be discouraged. I will resume my studies and hopefully a lot will come back to me fairly quickly. I will probably be updating this log on a daily, or semi-daily basis.

I really hope that I can handle 6 languages at once, if not I may have to drop one, but I'm fairly confident in myself. Also, I'm waiting for the new Teach Yourself complete Xhosa to come out, I believe it comes out in February or March of 2011. So when that comes out Xhosa may be added to my studies, or at least flirted with for a while.
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5953 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 2 of 10
22 December 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Hi Genocyde,

Good luck with your language studies this year. You and I share several languages--Svenska, Kiswahili, Deutsch, Русский, and فارسى--so I'll be interested in seeing how you progress with them. I've been studying Swahili for about ten months so I might be able to help/practice with you there if you like. I'll also be curious to see what you think of studying another Bantu language after already having studied one. Bahati njema!

Genocyde
Groupie
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 

Message 3 of 10
22 December 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Ellasevia! I'd love to have someone to practice with. Thank you for the offer.

Well, as of right now I just finished the pronunciation guide for Swedish in the FSI course, I would have done more but I have to go to work. :(
I really hope that there are grammatical rules for determining when it's a long or short vowel, or I'm sure I'll be pronouncing everything wrong, lol.

Genocyde
Groupie
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 

Message 4 of 10
23 December 2010 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
So, I've decided I'm going to split my learning schedule into a 2 day shift.
Day 1
Persian, Swedish and Russian
Day 2
German, Mandarin, and Swahili

I'll start tomorrow, and hopefully this will work. :)

Genocyde
Groupie
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 

Message 5 of 10
23 December 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Today wasn't really that productive, at least not so far. I did manage to get through the first FSI Swedish lesson, and input all the vocabulary into Anki, and review it. Then I got sidetracked, I had to run some errands and ended up meeting up with a buddy of mine for lunch, and then we went over to another friend's house.

I got home in time to do a little Russian study, I listened to the entire first disk of Michel Thomas Russian foundation, I already knew about 90% of it, but considering the amount of time that has passed since I studied Russian, I still consider it good review.

I have to work until about 10 or 10:30 depending on how busy it is.....so I'm not sure if I'll get any Persian in today. Hopefully I'll have time when I get home, if not I'll have to study twice as hard Saturday.

Genocyde
Groupie
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 

Message 6 of 10
27 December 2010 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
So, pretty much nothing happened over this weekend...but, I guess that's ok since it was a holiday weekend, and I had a lot of stuff to do. And since it isn't even 2011 yet, I guess anything that happens up until Jan. 1st doesn't count anyway, lol.

Élan
United States
Joined 5255 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Studies: Persian

Message 7 of 10
30 December 2010 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
May I ask how long you have studied Persian and why you chose that language? It is my only language for TAC 2011 and I love seeing other learners!

Genocyde
Groupie
United States
Joined 5583 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 

Message 8 of 10
30 December 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying Persian for quite a while, I'm unsure of exactly how long. Unfortunately, like I said in my first post, up until recently I hadn't studied much in these past few months. As for why I picked it. I'm not really sure. I wanted to learn Arabic at first, but (like a lot of people) I assumed it was just too difficult for me, and then I found out about Persian, and when I heard it, I fell in love with it. I think it's a beautiful language, and I really think that is probably the only reason I've chosen to study it.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version