Pro Member
United States
Joined 5150 days ago

77 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 6
25 December 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
I thought I'd move forward and start a journal. I don't know why I'm nervous about doing so...makes me feel
vulnerable somehow.

Anyway, I started studying German over a year ago (altho I'd picked some up from a German sister-in-law 20
years ago). My 7 yr old attends a German immersion school and that, I believe will help keep me motivated to
trudge forward.

In almost all areas of life I've been a self-learner. But for the first time in 2 decades I sat in a junior college with
my 22yr old and took one semester of German I. It was said to be the equivalent to 2 YEARS of a high school
foreign language class. I am not the fastest learner, so thank goodness I'd already been exposing myself to the
language beginning about 9mnths prior. It was a rather interesting experience. Funny thing is I finished third in
the class but one of the students before/ahead of me was someone who could not think outside the textbook,
could not form her own sentences/ideas in German (even simple ones), and when she recited it, the
pronunciation was almost unrecognizable as German.

Anyway, I had a great instructor and I did learn some things about grammar that I just "wasn't getting" otherwise.

I will be taking German II beginning in February. Again, with my 22yr old UNMOTIVATED son, LOL.

Much of my learning will come from the self-study I still rely on and I look forward to being able to document
the steps I take and hopefully see progress...
1 person has voted this message useful

nuriayasmin
Germany
Joined 5041 days ago

155 posts - 210 votes 

Message 2 of 6
25 December 2010 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
Viel Glück und viel Spaß beim Deutschlernen. Ich freue mich auf deine Log-Einträge.

ummagumma
IrelandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5054 days ago

217 posts - 241 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 6
25 December 2010 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
yeah, best of luck unlocking the German language! all the best on your German journey ahead.

LauraM
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5150 days ago

77 posts - 97 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 6
11 January 2011 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I meant to come and say that wayyyy earlier!

Well, just b/c I haven't posted does not mean I've not been on the ball, altho the most I can give is an hour a day
and I do that almost every day, so at least I have consistency on my side.

I had picked up a book that didn't look like much at my local Teacher's Supply store some months ago. It's called
German is Fun and the cover makes it look like a jumbo coloring book or something. Now, it is VERY elementary,
but I am one who needs repetition and I really LOVE the way some of the stuff is explained! (I actually went ahead
and ordered Book 2 & 3, if that gives you any indication. Unfortunately I have found at least 3 or 4 mistakes in
the book that I feel should NEVER have gotten by in a foreign language book.Anyway it's a THICK workbook, best
with the teacher's manual. I feel much more solid and I am almost done with book one. Probably start book 2 in a
week or two...

Anyway, once a week at my 2 yr old's preschool I get to use a bit of German with a mom who is aus Deutschland.
Today, her mother was there and even though she's fluent in English and KNEW I was not fluent in German,
she spent the whole time speaking to me in German...I could respond very little on the spot, but I understood a
lot of what she was saying. I was really thankful she did that with me and that she was comfortable with it.

Anyway, I wanted to kick myself because a few times I made some really STUPID mistakes. Like I said "Ich bin
*eine" Fotografin. Like what the he77!!!!! EINE????? Where did THAT come from?! LOL   She didn't correct me, but
just kept right on going on with the conversation. It's making me think about what I want in the way of help with
my German. I mean, I catch most of my own mistakes either on the spot or after the fact.

I'm just thinking out loud right now. It was great, yet frustrating, but I'm sure the woman will come to more
preschool days while she is here and I almost want to "cram" before next Monday, LOL

I guess I have a question for those who are further along than me (in ANY language)....I feel like I need to train
my mind to focus on sentence structure and practice it so that it is more automatic. I'm thinking emailing like
Instant Message before doing voice/skype. Once I get quicker and better at communication via email, then I
would think my face-to-face would be easier at some point....

*sigh*

Feedback welcome!

Edited by LauraM on 11 January 2011 at 8:46am

LauraM
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5150 days ago

77 posts - 97 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 6
12 January 2011 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
During my studies today, I suddenly realized that when "the boy" is dative, it requires an "n" at the end of the noun:
Jungen. The hard thing about "speaking" German before learning it, is that you SAY things without THINKING of
rules....and now that I am learning about cases, I just realized there must be some sort of "rule" about this, but I
have yet to come across it..... *sigh*

I have to say, as I learn about the case system it has certainly freed me up to venture out into more complicated
dialogue....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version