Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
392 messages over 49 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 48 49 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6256 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 90 of 392
08 February 2011 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Are you using kanji.koohii.com? If so, getting the shared "Super Heisig" deck from
Anki's shared decks may be a way to use the superior Anki learning algorithm while
still being able to access the stories from that site.

To reschedule vocabulary in Anki when there are too many reviews:
1. click the magnifying glass to access the card browser
2. sort by due date
3. select all that you want to reschedule (using shift)
4. from the menu, select "Actions > Reschedule"
5. "Reschedule with initial interval in range". If you put min 1,00 and max 4,00 this
means that the earliest card will be shown tomorrow and the latest at the end of the
third day from now. If you put min 0,00 and max 31,00 then the earliest card will be
shown today and the latest a month from now.

In case I was unclear earlier, I should specify that this doesn't mean you will master
the cards in a month, just that some won't re-appear for a month, giving you time to
catch up.

I recommend rescheduling whenever the number of reviews has gotten so high that you
find it hard to motivate yourself to do your Anki. Anki should always be quick and fun.
However, keep in mind that rescheduling also hurts the algorithm, if you should have
reviewed a word yesterday and instead you'll see it a week from now. Rescheduling is
just better than not doing your Anki or treating these words as new because the
algorithm can take into account how long you haven't seen the card. If it's a card that
would normally appear again in 5 days, and instead you answer it correctly after 15,
then Anki will immediately give you a greater interval next time. And that allows you
to catch up more easily.
5 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5928 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 91 of 392
09 February 2011 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Great!! I was a bit worried that you were setting your goals so high that they were unreachable, but this seems like an excellent strategy. Well done, ellasevia!!

Hm.. Maybe I should also pay attention to this comment regarding my course selection for next year. We're signing up for them at school right now, and currently I have six AP (Advanced Placement = college level) classes written down on the sign-up sheet, and my only non-advanced class will be physics, which I'm terrible at anyways. I think this is what one would call a suicidal schedule, although I know other people who are taking the same number of AP classes, but even harder ones. But if it were possible I would take eight classes so that I wouldn't have to decide between AP Psychology and AP Art History...

Sprachprofi wrote:
Are you using kanji.koohii.com? If so, getting the shared "Super Heisig" deck from Anki's shared decks may be a way to use the superior Anki learning algorithm while still being able to access the stories from that site.

Yes, I am. The problem with switching over to Anki at this point is not that I can't add stories to my Anki deck (since you can do that in the deck you recommended), but that I've already gone through all ~2000 characters and saved the stories for them on kanji.koohii and I don't particularly want to have to copy them all into Anki individually. If there is a way to import all the mnemonics automatically into Anki from one's kanji.koohii account, that would be an entirely different matter.

Thanks for the instructions on rescheduling, I'll see if that works. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 92 of 392
10 February 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Great!! I was a bit worried that you were setting your goals so high that they were unreachable, but this seems like an excellent strategy. Well done, ellasevia!!

Hm.. Maybe I should also pay attention to this comment regarding my course selection for next year.

In principle you can do a lot as long as you have fun, but signing up for a killing schedule may catch up with you one day. You may have to choose between an ambitious schedule at work and some of your languages.

I used to think I was superwoman, speaking 5 languages at the age of 15, doing the three years of high school in 1 year, the youngest in Norway (still) to pass the French exam at the University of Oslo while at the same time studying Arabic, and then suddenly at 20 I hit the wall. I was extremely lucky in that I was back on my feet again in a few weeks, but I know of people who are down for years.

I love your enthousiasm and am utterly amazed at you capabilities of learning languages, which far surpass mine, but I am afraid that you are sometimes too hard on yourself. Remember, this language thing is supposed to be fun, not a chore. :-)

Alexander.Stoma
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6089 days ago

59 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Belarusian*, EnglishB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 93 of 392
10 February 2011 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Wow!

I'm feeling myself so little and stupid person... :)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I used to think I was superwoman, speaking 5 languages at the age
of 15, doing the three years of high school in 1 year, the youngest in Norway (still) to
pass the French exam at the University of Oslo while at the same time studying Arabic,
and then suddenly at 20 I hit the wall. I was extremely lucky in that I was back on my
feet again in a few weeks, but I know of people who are down for years.

Edited by Alexander.Stoma on 10 February 2011 at 5:46pm

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6569 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 94 of 392
10 February 2011 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
of 15, doing the three years of high school in 1 year, the youngest in Norway (still) to
pass the French exam at the University of Oslo while at the same time studying Arabic,
and then suddenly at 20 I hit the wall.

That's going to be good news for people who might be tempted to feel bad about not
keeping up with you. Okay guys, you can stop stressing now, wasn't going to happen
anyway.
2 persons have voted this message useful

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5826 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 95 of 392
10 February 2011 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

...and then suddenly at 20 I hit the wall. I was extremely lucky in that I was back on my feet again in a few weeks, but I know of people who are down for years.

I hit the wall at that age as well forced myself through the rest of my degree but stopped all external studying, reading, sports, etc just couldn't cope with it.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 96 of 392
11 February 2011 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Alexander.Stoma wrote:
Wow!

I'm feeling myself so little and stupid person... :)

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
and then suddenly at 20 I hit the wall. I was extremely lucky in that I was back on my
feet again in a few weeks, but I know of people who are down for years.

Please note my use of verb time here: "Used to think" - as in "found out I was not". It bruised my ego pretty badly at the time, but it gave me a better life. Now I am just plodding along, kicking myself for being so thick when it comes to learning Russian. I know that most people need to learn from their own mistakes, but feel free to learn from mine :-)

Having an immense drive to acheive something, like so many here have, and Ellasevia in particular, is a wonderful thing, as long as you only do is as long as it is fun.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 12 February 2011 at 9:37am

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version