Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
392 messages over 49 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 48 49 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 105 of 392
19 February 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Weekly Study Schedule For February 19 to March 31
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:
Sunday:

Each occurrence of a flag represents one hour of study of that language.
For example: = 1 hour of Romanian
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 106 of 392
20 February 2011 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
I just made a recording of myself reading the dialogue aloud from the 54th lesson of Le Suédois Sans Peine. It’s late, but I wanted to post this immediately before I get myself overly nervous and decide not post it at all.

My Swedish accent has always been a subject of concern for me, and lately I’ve been trying hard to improve it and get it to sound more like what I hear when I listen to the radio. In the beginning of my studies I didn’t have much access to audio, and what audio I had was of rather poor quality so I formed some bad pronunciation habits early on, namely pronouncing every word exactly as it’s written (which is often not the case with Swedish), and making sometimes incorrect assumptions about the pitch and stress in words or simply ignoring them altogether. I didn’t even know that de (they) is pronounced as ‘dom’ until about six months into my studies! So naturally I’ve been trying hard recently to undo these ugly scars on my pronunciation.

I’m not exactly sure what kind of errors I make now when I speak or read aloud, but I’m fairly sure they are quite numerous. I know that in the audio sample I have made some very noticeable slip-ups, which were caused by a combination of me being extremely nervous about making a recording of myself (especially in Swedish) and also that I was reading too quickly for my mouth to keep up with. I’m also concerned about correct vowel sounds, consonants, and pitch (so I guess that pretty much means everything). With the pitch, I’m reading from the Assimil book where it’s marked so it should be correct for the most part, but I have the feeling that I might be exaggerating it too much. I don’t have audio for Assimil, so I have nothing to compare it with unfortunately.

I’d be very appreciative of any Swedes (or other Scandinavians familiar with Swedish) who would be willing to make a commentary on what is probably a very bad mangling of your beautiful language. And to be truthful, I practiced reading it several times before finally creating this final version. Please be gentle with your criticism! Now that I’ve delayed the actual inclusion of the link as long as possible, I’ll now give it to you: link to audio.

Here’s what I’m attempting to read:
FEMTIOFJÄRDE LEKTIONEN: En andra smekmånad över ett veckoslut
-     Han — Vad tiden går fort! I dag är det exakt tio år sedan vi gifte oss.
-     Hon — Så skönt det skall bli med ett lugnt och lyxigt veckoslut, bara du och jag. Det blir faktiskt första gången på tio år.
-     Han — Ja, vi har inte haft en enda chans sedan vår smekmånad: karriär, villabyggande, barn...
-     Hon — Men nu skall vi ha det bra. Jag känner mig glad och fri. På vilket hotell har du bokat rum?
-     Han — Jag försökte på värdshuset nära stranden, men det var nästan fullbelagt. Det fanns bara två enkelrum kvar.
-     Hon — Det hade tagit priset att bo i skilda rum!
-     Han — Som tur var kunde jag beställa ett stort dubbelrum med bad på stadshotellet.
-     Hon — Inget dåligt alternativ! Kör lite fortare, jag är så ivrig att komma fram.
-     Han — Förresten, har du packat åt mig också? Jag har inte ens tänkt på det.
-     Hon — Ingen fara. Allt finns i bagageutrymmet, från tandborste, tandkräm och tvål till pyjamas och nattlinne.
-     Han — Jag visste att du skulle sköta det. Nu är vi framme. Jag parkerar här så länge.
-     Hon: — Det står « garage » där borta, det är väl avsett för hotellgästerna. Ställ bilen där.
-     Han — Nu skall vi unna oss en utsökt middag. Det skall vara hur flott som helst. Jag är så trött på billiga matställen och trista kaféer!
-     Hon — Vad finns det för gott på matsedeln? Jag tror jag börjar med räkcocktail och sen vill jag ha kalvnoisette med sparris.
-     Han — Gärna en biff för mig, bara den är genomstekt. Nej, förresten tar jag hellre gädda med pepparrotssås.
-     Hon — Och som förrätt?
-     Han — Varför inte rökt ål?
-     Hon — Det står på menyn att sallad och valfri potatis ingår i varmrätten.
-     Han — Efterrätten kan vi välja senare. Först vill jag titta på vinlistan.
-     Hon — I kväll har vi livet framför oss – åtminstone ingen väckning i morgon.
-     Han — Fattas bara! Och notan får vi först i övermorgon. Innan dess är allt tillåtet!
-     Hon — Underbart! Vem skulle tro att du är smålänning?

Edited by ellasevia on 23 February 2011 at 12:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

mirab3lla
Triglot
United Kingdom
lang-8.com/220477Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5225 days ago

161 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Spanish, FrenchB1, Mandarin

Message 107 of 392
20 February 2011 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Wow, ai 16 ani și ești în clasa(=grade) a unsprezecea? Eu sunt mai mare decât tine și sunt într-a zecea. Sistemul școlar american sună așa de bine, terminați școala mai tineri, vă alegeți materiile(=subjects)... Sunt invidioasă!

Cum îți mai merge cu româna? Văd că astăzi oricum ai în program o oră.

Spor la muncă și multă baftă! Mă voi duce acum să scriu în jurnalul meu.

I have tried to use simple constructions to write this message to you. I will not translate it into English because I feel that you might ”cheat” and read the English version first and not struggle with understanding the Romanian one. However, if you wish me to do this, just say it and I will follow your request. :-)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 108 of 392
20 February 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

Please be gentle with your criticism!

Well, I can tell you this much: You just got yourself another fan. I played this to my 14 year old daughter, and she was very impressed, as was I. She asked me if I was sure you were not Swedish. Having more experience with Swedish than her, I do detect some minor mistakes, mainly to do with too short vowels, but all in all this was really very, very good. Everything was very clear and whith a very good accent. The only word I struggled to understand was "kalvnoisette", which is a combination of a Swedish word and a French word, and which I have never heard in Swedish. The failure to understand it might therefore have something to do with my lack of familiarity with it.

Very well done indeed, ellasevia!

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6565 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 109 of 392
20 February 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I agree, you sound very good. I think your consonants are perfect, while your vowels are
a bit off now and then. Intonation and rhythm is completely on the money.

I'd be curious to hear you in Dutch, btw. Maybe we could both record something and
correct each other?

Edited by numerodix on 20 February 2011 at 9:49pm

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5348 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 110 of 392
21 February 2011 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Man. That's some good sounding Swedish you got there. Nice work.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 111 of 392
21 February 2011 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
Salut Mirabela,

Da, dar sunt tânăr în clasa mea pentru că ziua mea de naştere este la sfârşitul iuliei (şi a ta este la început iuliei, nu-i aşa?). Totuşi, nu cred că sistemul şcolar american este foarte bun. Nu ştiu nimic despre sistemul românesc, dar aici nu este deloc efectiv. Sunt fericit oricum că putem să ne alegem materiile. Amica mea care locuieşte în Timişoara mi a spus că nu puteţi să vă le alegeţi, şi ea are multe materii grele totodată (algebră, calcul, fizică, chimie, biologie, economie, informatică...).

Îmi merge foarte bine cu româna. Sunt mulţumit să îţi zic că am înţeles toate frazele care ai scris fără nici o problemă. Astăzi am studiat cu cartea mea „Teach Yourself Romanian”, şi azi a fost o zi de gramatică; am revizuit-o şi am învaţat ceva de nou.

În primul rând am revizuit formele pentru this şi that pe româneşte ( demonstrative pronouns). Există destul de multe – 24 cuvinte pentru „this” şi 24 pentru „that”! Uite:

acest, acesta, acestui, acestuia, aceşti, aceştia, acestor, acestora, această, aceasta, acestei, acesteia, aceste, acestea, acestor, acestora, ăsta, ăstuia, ăştia, ăstora, asta, ăsteia, astea, ăstora; acel, acela, acelui, aceluia, acei, aceia, acelor, acelora, acea, aceea, acelei, aceleia, acele, acelea, acelor, acelora, ăla, ăluia, ăia, ălora, aia, ăleia, alea, ălora

Wow! Ştiai că limba ta este atât de complicată? Dar limbi complicate îmi plac. :) Am revizuit nişte pronume de asemenea, şi transformaţiile lor. De exemplu:

mă, te, îl, o, ne, vă, îi, le, m-a, te-a, l-a, ne-a, v-a, i-a, le-a, să-l, s-o, să-i, (pe) mine, (pe) tine, (pe) dumneata, (pe) el, (pe) ea, (pe) sine, (pe) noi, (pe) voi, (pe) dumneavoastră, (pe) ei, (pe) ele

Iar am aflat că pe româneşte poţi să foloseşti două pronume ca pe spanioleşte, şi are o cuvânt ca ‚a’ personala pe spanioleşte:
Îi căutăm pe George şi pe Nicu. = Los estamos buscando a George y a Nicu.
O întreb pe Maria. = Le pregunto a María.

În sfârşit, am învaţat două forme verbale noi:
1. am să întreb, ai să întrebi, are să întrebe, avem să întrebăm, aveţi să întrebaţi, au să întrebe
2. mă voi duce, te vei duce, se va duce, ne vom duce, vă veţi duce, se vor întreba

Acum am o întrebare pentru tine. Se găseşte o diferenţă între formele o să [fac], voi [face], şi am să [fac]?

Aveam de gând să scriu o scrisoare spre amica mea pe româneşte, dar din păcate acum nu am timp. Mâine nu avem şcoală deşi este luni (este o zi de vacanţă aici în SUA), deci poate că o să-l fac atunci. Sper că mesajul acesta nu are prea multe de greşeli...

Pe curând!

Edited by ellasevia on 23 February 2011 at 12:45am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 112 of 392
21 February 2011 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin and numerodix, thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my recording and review it
for me. You have no idea how much of a motivation boost for my Swedish it was to read your comments,
because I literally thought my pronunciation was horrible. :P I'll let myself keep thinking that though, just so
that I keep working at it and at the language in general.

Numerodix, I did include a recording of myself reading in Dutch earlier in this log (page 6, I believe), but
looking back at it now it appears that the link no longer works, so I'll have to fix that. I do intend to do
another Dutch recording soon though to see if I've improved any.

Vos, thanks for the nice comment from you as well and thanks for stopping by.

As a result of the recording, a kind reader (who shall remain anonymous so as not to get her in trouble)
pointed me in the direction of the Assimil Swedish recordings, so I now have those at my disposal. But how
is it that Assimil manages to pick out the people with the most unpleasant voices possible for the
recordings? I thought that some of the voices for the Dutch course were a bit annoying, but they're nothing
compared to some of the voices for the Swedish course. I actually cringe when I hear one of them, not to
mention that this person also speaks with a Skåne accent, which is quite impossible to understand and
reminds me far too much of Danish... There are plenty of people with nice voices who speak Swedish, why
not use them instead?

Edited by ellasevia on 21 February 2011 at 9:55am

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version