Netherlands
Joined 5120 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 137 of 392
01 March 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
If last month was focused primarily on Persian, this month was focused primarily on Dutch, and I’ll openly admit that I am now addicted to this language. I literally cannot get enough of it. Every time I have the slightest contact with the language, I am simply overjoyed at its awesomeness, and I hope my computer chair can withstand all this extra excited bouncing it’s been experiencing lately.

Ik ben blij het te horen! Al hoop ik voor je eigen bestwil dat je je wat inhoudt qua stuiteren anders zak je straks nog door je stoel heen. Iets soortgelijks is mij een keer overkomen en ik kan je zeggen, dat doet verdraaid veel pijn. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

mirab3lla
Triglot
United Kingdom
lang-8.com/220477Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5228 days ago

161 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Spanish, FrenchB1, Mandarin

Message 138 of 392
01 March 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Când vom putea auzi și o înregistrare cu tine în română? După ce am ascultat-o pe cea în suedeză, care îmi sună foarte bine, deși nu cunosc această limbă, am devenit foarte curioasă!

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5478 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 139 of 392
01 March 2011 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Hi Philip, I'm really impressed by your progress so far in 2011! I always enjoy reading your log so much.

I hope you might be able to answer a technical question for me: I have an iPod Touch too, and I read that you said you do your Anki reviews on there. Now I really want to do that too! How do you sync your Anki app on the computer with Anki on the iPod? Do you have to download Anki separately for the iPod? I'm hoping that if I do reviews on the iPod and then open Anki on the computer, it won't still list those same cards as being due... can you give me some tips about setting this up?

Thanks so much, and keep up the good work with your languages – you're an inspiration to all of us. :)

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5266 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 140 of 392
01 March 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
Hi Philip, I'm really impressed by your progress so far in 2011! I always enjoy reading your log so
much.

I hope you might be able to answer a technical question for me: I have an iPod Touch too, and I read that you
said you do your Anki reviews on there. Now I really want to do that too! How do you sync your Anki app on the
computer with Anki on the iPod? Do you have to download Anki separately for the iPod? I'm hoping that if I do
reviews on the iPod and then open Anki on the computer, it won't still list those same cards as being due... can
you give me some tips about setting this up?

Thanks so much, and keep up the good work with your languages – you're an inspiration to all of us. :)

The iPod application to download off of iTunes costs about $25 (not that worth in my opinion). You can use Anki
Online, but that only works if you have an internet connection. I currently have no way to do my cards on the go,
seeing as I am too stingy to pay the $25. There is supposed to be a more complicated to set up "iAnki", but all
the links on the website for it are broken, so I'm assuming the creator took it down.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 141 of 392
02 March 2011 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
@Iversen
That sounds just horrible! But sadly, that doesn’t sound out of the ordinary for Greece either… I have spent a lot of time there and some of the things I’ve encountered are rather appalling.

@ruskivyetr
Thanks for the tips about speeding up the passport service. I shall have to tell my parents. As for the trains, here’s the article where I found out about it (from February 14, 2011).

@ReneeMona
Haha, dat twijfel ik. ‘t Is een sterke stoel, dus daar overdreef ik een beetje voor dramatisch effect. Maar ik stuiter wel nogal vaak als ik Nederlands leer, want het is zo’n uitstekende taal. Hoe komt het maar, dat zoiets jou overkomen is? Stuiter ook jij als je gelukkig bent?

@mirab3lla
Nu ştiu, probabil în aprilie sau în mai. Am nevoie de mai multă practică, deşi în decembrie am făcut o înregistrare în română şi am trimis-o la amica mea. Ea mi-a zis că a fost foarte bună, poate pentru că ea m-a ajutat cu pronunţia când locuia aici. Dacă ai vrea, pot s-o şi îţi trimit pe PM. Mulţumesc pentru corecţiile şi explicaţia – cred că înţeleg acum.

@Jinx
Thanks Jinx. Ruskivyetr has already covered the basics of how to use Anki on your iPod, but I'd actually disagree with him and say that it is worth the $25 (especially since for some unknown reason I never got charged for it…shhh!). The fact that you can only use Anki Online when you have an Internet connection probably limits you to when you're at home, school, or someone else's house who would give you access -- all places where you could probably just use a computer anyways. Getting the application allows you to use Anki everywhere else, and you just sync it once you get somewhere where you have an Internet connection again. Then you'll need to sync it on your computer, since the iPod application actually syncs to your online account (and once you have that set up, you just download the decks from there). Also, it's a real pain to do anything besides do your reviews on Anki Online, but it's much easier and you can do most of the same things as on the computer with the iPod application. I hope it works for you!

Edited by ellasevia on 02 March 2011 at 12:49am

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5478 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 142 of 392
02 March 2011 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Thanks, ruskivyetr & ellesevia!

Hmm, I guess for the time being I'll just take a look at Anki Online and see what that's like. We've got pretty much campus-wide wifi at my college, so the internet thing shouldn't be a problem for the time being... I may have to end up splurging on the app though, it sounds awfully useful.

atboom
United States
Joined 4840 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Dutch

Message 143 of 392
02 March 2011 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
The creator's of Anki made a series of intro movies. One of them is dedicated to the sync thing and is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dak296XM8Eg&feature=related

That whole series of 7 clips is pretty informative on how to use a lot of features on Anki. Plus the guy has a nice Aussie accent that is pleasant to listen to.

Edited by atboom on 02 March 2011 at 2:25am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5120 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 144 of 392
02 March 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
@ReneeMona
Haha, dat betwijfel ik. ‘t Is een sterke stoel, dus daar overdreef ik een beetje voor dramatisch effect. Maar ik stuiter wel nogal vaak als ik Nederlands leer, want het is zo’n uitstekende taal. Maar hoe komt het, dat zoiets jou overkomen is? Stuiter jij ook als je gelukkig bent?

Nee, ik ben niet zo'n stuiteraar, maar meer een grinniker, handen-wapperaar en idiote-grijnzer, wat ik vandaag maar weer bewezen heb toen m'n nieuwe Assimil boek binnenkwam. Wat mijn traumatische ervaring betreft; ik ben een keer van een paar meter hoog van een schommel gevallen. Au.
Wat vind je eigenlijk zo stuiterwekkend aan het Nederlands?

Edited by ReneeMona on 02 March 2011 at 1:49pm

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version