United States
Joined 5266 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 153 of 392
08 March 2011 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
Hey Philip, I have a random question for you. I've heard you rave about El Internado, which
sounds like a totally awesome show. I'm looking forward to watching it when I eventually start Spanish! My
question is, do you know which accent they speak in on that show (if it's any particular accent at all, and not
just "general")? The reason I ask is that I'm considering going for a neutral Latin-American leaning-towards-
Colombian accent when I do start Spanish. Muchas gracias in advance! :)

I'm pretty sure it's Castellano. From what I've heard about the show, it takes place in Spain.
1 person has voted this message useful

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5351 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 154 of 392
09 March 2011 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
Jinx wrote:
Hey Philip, I have a random question for you. I've heard you rave about El
Internado, which
sounds like a totally awesome show. I'm looking forward to watching it when I eventually start Spanish! My
question is, do you know which accent they speak in on that show (if it's any particular accent at all, and not
just "general")? The reason I ask is that I'm considering going for a neutral Latin-American leaning-towards-

I'm pretty sure it's Castellano. From what I've heard about the show, it takes place in Spain.

That is correct. The accent is very strong Spanish-Spanish, the way they speak around the centre of Spain I'd
imagine (pronouncing the plural 's' and certain c's and z's as 'th') which I personally adore. Wish I could
recommend some Latin American tv shows to balance it out, but unfortuantely I haven't come across any yet.
Definitely watch El Internado though, very addictive viewing!
2 persons have voted this message useful

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5266 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 155 of 392
09 March 2011 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:
ruskivyetr wrote:
Jinx wrote:
Hey Philip, I have a random question for you. I've heard
you rave about El
Internado, which
just "general")? The reason I ask is that I'm considering going for a neutral Latin-American leaning-
towards-

That is correct. The accent is very strong Spanish-Spanish, the way they speak around the centre of Spain I'd
imagine (pronouncing the plural 's' and certain c's and z's as 'th') which I personally adore. Wish I could
recommend some Latin American tv shows to balance it out, but unfortuantely I haven't come across any
yet.
Definitely watch El Internado though, very addictive viewing!

To recommend some Latin American soap operas: La Traducion (sp?). Very dramatic and serious, which I get
a real kick out of. My mom watches it (she speaks both Spanish and French at a C2ish level).

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 156 of 392
09 March 2011 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
I can't keep up with all these comments... A few days go by and suddenly I have a ton of people to respond to.

@ReneeMona
Dankje nogmaals voor de nuttige correcties. Wat stel jij dan voor in plaats van ‘mijns inziens’ om in my opinion te zeggen? Assimil heeft die uitdrukking gebruikt, denk ik, dus dacht ik dat het oké zou zijn het zelf te gebruiken. Maar ik weet niet hoe oud die cursus is en jij zelf hebt al gezegd dat wat woorden die dat boek gebruikt heeft waren een beetje raar of ouderwets... Wat het aantal van de lessen betreft, ik weet niet precies hoeveel ik doe per week, gewoonlijk zoveel als ik de tijd voor heb. Het hangt ook van mijn motivatie en de lengte van de lessen af. Bij voorbeeld, drie weken geleden deed ik er vijftien, maar deze week heb ik tot nu toe maar drie gedaan.

Ja, het was in de zomer. Nou, ik mocht niet zwemmen, maar ik kon wel, dus heb ik evengoed in de zee gezwommen zonder m’n gipsverband te dragen. In plaats ervan heb ik een zwemvest gedragen omdat het dezelfde vorm als de gipsverband had.

@hribecek
Hříbeček, that is a very good question. First of all, I should stress that for me, there is a rather large difference between having the opportunity to speak a language with someone and actually taking advantage of it, because I usually try to avoid talking to people I don't already know well at all costs. Because of that it might be better to categorize them as languages which I've spoken and ones I have never spoken with anyone, since I have had plenty of opportunities which I simply ignored.

The languages of the former category include: English, Dutch, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, Greek, Russian, Swahili, and Japanese. This means my 'unspoken languages' are just Swedish, Polish, and Persian. And Esperanto if we're still counting that as a language of mine. Some of my spoken languages I've used quite a lot (Spanish, French, Greek) while others I may have only ever spoken on a few occasions (Italian, Romanian, Dutch). As for my unspoken languages, it's mostly because I don't really know anyone who speaks them and have never visited the country. Okay, that's a lie; my uncle speaks quite good Swedish from having been an exchange student in Sweden, but I rarely see him and when I do I never use Swedish. I don’t even know if he knows that I’ve been studying it.

If I were to make more of an effort to seek out opportunities to practice my languages I could probably speak most of them regularly. But of course that would require me to be outgoing and willing to interact with people, which is simply not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

@ruskivyetr
Thank you for the encouragement for my German. My teacher has also noted that my writing in German is quite a bit better than my speaking, because I always get 100% (if not more) on everything that I write in that class. Speaking is another story...

@Kounotori
Спасибо. I didn't realize that about the adjectives, but it makes sense that it would be that way now that I think about it. Just yesterday I learned the word книжный шкап and I was wondering why they wouldn't just make things simpler and use the genitive and say шкап книг.

@LazyLinguist
Welcome back then, and thank you. :) I find it really amusing that people keep saying that they think my logs are inspirational, because when I read back over them I just want to bang my head against a wall because my writing sounds so ridiculous. Or at least that’s how I felt last night reading from the beginning of my very first log, which I started in September 2009. Good luck with your Spanish and German!

@Jinx
Ruskivyetr already correctly answered that as the show is from Spain and takes place in Spain, it’s in the Castilian accent/dialect. The main difference here is that it preserves la distinción, meaning that 'z' and 'c' before 'i' and 'e' are pronounced as 'th', unlike in Latin American Spanish where they are pronounced like an 's'. They also use the vosotros form, which is restricted to Spain, along with Spain-specific expressions and vocabulary (zumo for ‘juice’ instead of jugo, etc.) which would probably sound weird in Latin America, judging by the fact that I have been found very amusing by the children I volunteer with when I use the Castilian dialect. I really like their dialect and the show is actually the main reason that I speak with a Castilian accent now; when I was little I spoke with a mix of Latin American accents (Mexican, Colombian, Peruvian, Uruguayan) because of the different origins of the teachers at my bilingual school. Oh, and in addition to the Castilian accent, there is one actress from Cuba and an actor from Argentina, who speak with Cuban and Argentinean accents respectively. And in some of the later seasons there’s also quite a bit of German spoken, and some Greek too. ¿Cuándo piensas empezar a aprender español?

Edited by ellasevia on 09 March 2011 at 4:26am

3 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5249 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 157 of 392
09 March 2011 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
A couple questions about the Japanese I encountered:

彼はその詩を用いて自分の気持ちを伝えた。(He conveyed his feelings through
poetry.)

彼は歌自分の気持ちを表現した。 (He expressed his feelings in song.)

What exactly is the difference here between 用いて and で? Would it still be correct to
write “彼はその詩を自分の気持ちを伝えた” and “彼は歌用いて自分の気持
ちを表現した”?

Hi Philip. The difference between を用いて and で is that the former specifically
means "using", from the verb 用いる "to use" (although 使う and 使用する are both used
more often in casual Japanese), whereas で has the much broader meaning of "by" or
"through".

The English translations are too polished to give you a real idea of the way these
Japanese sentences work. More literally, the first means "He conveyed his feelings
using that poem" and the second means "He expressed his feelings through song". So as
you can see, を用いて and で are completely interchangeable in this case.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 09 March 2011 at 4:38am

mayfair
Diglot
Australia
theasiaanalyst.wordp
Joined 5204 days ago

48 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Mandarin

Message 158 of 392
09 March 2011 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon's explanation is spot on.

In addition to that, though, be wary of your particle usage.

You'll never see "を" and "で" together as particles; it's either one or the other. The first sentence in your last paragraph should read 彼はその詩自分の気持ちを伝えた.

You also missed out an を in the last sentence. As far as I know, when the verb 用いる is used in this sense, it is always preceded by を, so the sentence should read 彼は歌用いて自分の気持ちを表現した.

Your Japanese progress is very impressive! Many people who have learnt Japanese for as long as you would be envious, and that's discounting the absurd (in the best sense) number of other languages you're managing to study at the same time.

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5120 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 159 of 392
09 March 2011 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
@ReneeMona Dankje nogmaals voor de nuttige correcties. Wat stel jij dan voor in plaats van ‘mijns inziens’ om in my opinion te zeggen?

Het beste alternatief is denk ik "naar mijn mening". Je kan ook "volgens mij" zeggen maar dat is meer als je bedoelt "ik denk dat dit een feit is" dus het klinkt een beetje raar als je het gebruikt als je een mening uit.

Het is niet zo ouderwets dat je het helemaal niet meer kan gebruiken, hoor, zeker in de schrijftaal kan het er best mee door. Ik wou je er alleen even op attenderen dat het een beetje verouderd is en in veel contexten (zeker in de gesproken taal) ouderwets klinkt. Mocht je ooit de kans hebben een gesprek te voeren met Nederlanders van je eigen leeftijd dan zullen ze zeker vreemd opkijken als je "mijns inziens" tegen ze zegt. ;-)

What Assimil betreft, ik heb wel eens voor de grap door “New Dutch with ease” gebladerd en daar vond ik wel dingen in die ik raar vond klinken of niet helemaal vond kloppen. Maar je moet er natuurlijk ook rekening mee houden dat ik pas twintig ben en de taal razendsnel verandert dus wat ik raar vind klinkt voor mensen die één of twee decennia ouder zijn alweer normaal. Daarbij komt nog dat ik nogal puristisch ben en mijn Nederlands tegelijkertijd constant wordt vertroebelt door het Engels, dus de vraag is of je überhaupt wel naar me zou moeten luisteren. ;-)

Quote:
Wat het aantal van de lessen betreft, ik weet niet precies hoeveel ik er doe per week, gewoonlijk zoveel als waar ik tijd voor heb. Het hangt ook van mijn motivatie en de lengte van de lessen af. Bijvoorbeeld, drie weken geleden deed ik er vijftien, maar deze week heb ik er tot nu toe maar drie gedaan.

Ja, het was in de zomer. Nou, ik mocht niet zwemmen, maar ik kon het wel, dus heb ik evengoed in de zee gezwommen zonder m’n gipsverband te dragen. In plaats daarvan heb ik een zwemvest gedragen omdat het dezelfde vorm als het gipsverband had.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5478 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 160 of 392
10 March 2011 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Ah, good to know that it's Castilian – thank you everybody!

@ruskivyetr: Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately I'm having a little trouble finding information about that show online (could it possibly be "La traduccion" with two c's?), because tons of Spanish sites about translation come up when I search for it. :) I also tried searching "la traduccion" + "telenovela" and only found sites about translating telenovelas. :/ Do you by any chance know a link to its website?

@ellasevia: Haha, you really did get a flood of comments! It just shows how popular your log has become. ;) Thanks for the info about "El Internado." I still plan to watch it when I start Spanish, just because I want to be able to understand as many different accents as possible. To answer your question ('scuse the English – although I can understand most Spanish I read, I can't put together a single sentence yet!), it'll probably be somewhere between six months to a year until I start it.

Before I was considering doing Portuguese first, because I have an aunt from Brazil, but I only see her once or twice a year so I don't think that's enough of a reason. Spanish makes more sense for an American like me. In the Romance-language field, I plan to solidify my knowledge of French and push Italian up to B1 if possible before I start Spanish, because I don't want to risk mixing them up (especially the Italian and Spanish accents).

I was going to go for Colombian because I know some people from Colombia and am utterly charmed by the way they speak, but seeing as I'm planning to do a Master's degree in Germany for a couple of years, I may end up speaking Castilian yet! We'll see. In any case, I need to hold off the wanderlust and focus heavily on German and French for the next four months at least. :)

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version