Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
392 messages over 49 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 ... 48 49 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 161 of 392
10 March 2011 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
@TixhiiDon と mayfair
ありあとうございます for the explanations on the Japanese. Mayfair, when I read your comment about the particles I thought to myself "I know that, I would never make such a silly mistake" and then was horrified to see that I had in fact done so! I think the problem was that I had just copied and pasted the "用いて" (and forgetting to highlight the を for that one) and "で" into the other sentence without paying attention to its end result. Thanks for catching that. :P Also, thanks for the encouragement about my Japanese learning speed. I can assure you that I don't feel at all the same way about it, but it's nice to know that someone else thinks I'm making progress even if I don't. I felt like I was making lots of progress from around January to August of 2010, but once the school year started, my progress and momentum in Japanese just got killed (which is ironic because that's when I even started having it as a class at school). Altogether I've been learning Japanese for a little over a year and a half (the first six months of which were essentially useless), so I'm not sure if what I've had is exactly what you'd call quick progress...

@ReneeMona
Dankje wel, nu begrijp ik het. Maar ik heb niet “New Dutch With Ease” gebruikt, maar “Dutch With Ease,” zo het is waarschijnlijk nogal verouderder. Ik heb de indruk dat mijn Engels ook nogal raar en ouderwets is omdat ik woorden en uitdrukkingen gebruik die ik nooit iemand anders te gebruiken te horen krijg. Ik vraag me af waarom dat is...

@Jinx
Yes, the name of the telenovela that ruskivyetr mentioned should be spelled "La Traducción," although I can't give a link since I don't know it myself. I'm excited for you to begin learning Spanish (and Persian, of course)! It will be interesting to see how you manage going from French --> Italian --> Spanish --> Portuguese. My own progression was Spanish --> French --> Portuguese --> Italian --> Romanian. (Ai de gând să studiezi şi limba română?) Approximately what level do you think your French and Italian are at right now?

In other news, I found out less than an hour ago that I will probably be going to Scotland while in Europe this summer! One of my cousins from Greece is graduating from the University of Edinburgh in June and my grandmother wants to go with me to the graduation ceremony. I've never been anywhere in the UK before, so that should be fun. AND my brother probably won't be there because I think he'll be on a class trip to Washington, DC. :D

Edited by ellasevia on 10 March 2011 at 5:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6568 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 162 of 392
10 March 2011 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
> Ik heb de indruk dat mijn Engels ook nogal raar en ouderwets is omdat ik woorden en uitdrukkingen gebruik die ik nooit iemand anders te gebruiken te horen krijg.

Ik neem aan dat die zin correct is, maar ik versta niet waarom de "te" er is die ik getoond heb. Kan je het uitleggen?

Edited by numerodix on 10 March 2011 at 1:52am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 163 of 392
10 March 2011 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
> Ik heb de indruk dat mijn Engels ook nogal raar en ouderwets is omdat ik woorden en uitdrukkingen gebruik die ik nooit iemand anders te gebruiken te horen krijg.

Ik neem aan dat die zin correct is, maar ik versta niet waarom de "te" die ik getoond heb er is. Kan je het uitleggen?

Haha, ik weet het niet. Ik dacht dat ik die zin heel slecht had geschreven, maar ik wist niet hoe ik hem kon verbeteren. Eigenlijk schreef ik oorspronkelijk de 'te' niet maar daarna heb ik het toegevoegd... Vraag me toch niet waarom ik dat deed! Jij hebt waarschijnlijk gelijk dat die 'te' zou er niet staan, maar we moeten even op Renee wachten om het ons te verklaren.

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5120 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 164 of 392
10 March 2011 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Dankje wel, nu begrijp ik het. Maar ik heb niet “New Dutch With Ease” gebruikt, maar “Dutch With Ease,” dus het is waarschijnlijk nogal verouderd. Ik heb de indruk dat mijn Engels ook nogal raar en ouderwets is omdat ik woorden en uitdrukkingen gebruik die ik nooit iemand anders hoor gebruiken. Ik vraag me af waarom dat is...

Misschien ben je gewoon veel slimmer dan alle anderen. Voor wat het waard is, ik kan me niet herinneren dat ik jouw Engels ooit raar heb gevonden, maar ik ben geen moedertaalspreker dus mijn Engels is misschien ook wel heel raar. :)

numerodix wrote:
Ik neem aan dat die zin correct is, maar ik begrijp/snap niet waarom de "te" er is die ik getoond heb. Kan je het uitleggen?

ellasevia wrote:
Haha, ik weet het niet. Ik dacht dat ik die zin heel slecht had geschreven, maar ik wist niet hoe ik hem kon verbeteren. Eigenlijk had ik oorspronkelijk de 'te' niet geschreven maar daarna heb ik het toegevoegd... Vraag me toch niet waarom ik dat deed! Jij hebt waarschijnlijk gelijk dat die 'te' er niet zou moeten staan, maar we moeten even op Renee wachten om het ons te verklaren.

Ik heb het veranderd naar “hoor gebruiken”. Je hebt wel de uitdrukking “te horen krijgen” maar die werkt niet helemaal in Philip z’n zin omdat je ermee bedoelt dat iets specifiek voor jou te horen wordt gebracht. Als je per se die uitdrukking wilt gebruiken kan je zeggen “omdat ik woorden en uitdrukkingen gebruik die ik nooit van iemand anders te horen krijg.” Maar dat klinkt nogal raar. Je had wel kunnen zeggen “Ik krijg vaak van anderen te horen dat mijn Engels raar en ouderwets klinkt”

Philip, wat vet dat je waarschijnlijk naar Schotland gaat! Daar ben ik ook een keer geweest en ik vind het zo’n prachtig land (het hele Verenigd Koninkrijk trouwens). Bereid je alleen maar wel vast voor op een buitje of twee. ;)

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 165 of 392
10 March 2011 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Rather ashamedly I admit that I only just now fully understood what Sprachprofi meant by reschuduling the
due cards in Anki several pages back... Needless to say I have just dealt with the entire problem of having
to catch up on over 5500 reviews in less than ten minutes. :) I wish I had known about/understood this
rescheduling tool before! That would have saved me so much time and stress. When certain decks of mine
get out of hand with the number of reviews, I usually get intimidated by the large number, envisioning how
long and difficult it will be to wade through say, 400 reviews of Swahili. So I don't even open the deck
(except to add new cards) for days, weeks, months at a time, telling myself that I'll get around to it
"eventually." Pretty soon those 400 due cards have grown to 500, 600, 700, 800, and as of tonight, 1000.
And I wonder just how soon this "eventually" is. What I've been telling myself for the past couple months is
that if all else fails, I can do it over Spring Break while I'm on the airplane (I'm going to the East Coast in
about a week and a half). Well, problem solved. A veeeeeery overdue "thank you" to Sprachprofi, and in the
meantime I shall go to bed (and read in French a bit?) and think about how stupid I am to have taken so
long to grasp this very simple concept.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6255 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 166 of 392
10 March 2011 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
I am glad to be of help, Philip.

Weiter so!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 167 of 392
12 March 2011 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
So between unexpectedly going out for dinner tonight (which almost never happens) and having to be in
bed at a decent hour since I have to take the SAT tomorrow morning (what a great way to start off the
weekend, right?), I had a lot less time tonight than I anticipated, so I shall postpone my weekly update until
tomorrow evening. I'll be testing all morning, then I have an hour or two free and then I have to go to a
birthday party for several hours, which I have been dreading all week. That leaves only a little time
tomorrow night to do stuff so I predict that I will have a very unproductive day. (Although I shouldn't
complain about trivial things like this in light of 昨日の日本にあった地震と津波.) Now I'm off to read a bit
of Ο Χάρι Πότερ και η Κάμαρα με τα Μυστικά before going to sleep. お休みなさい!

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5478 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 168 of 392
12 March 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
This is a bit delayed, but: it's so exciting that you're going to Scotland! It's a beautiful country, and I'm sure you'll love it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version