Ellasevia’s TAC 2011: Team Ohana

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
392 messages over 49 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 48 49 Next >>
darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5825 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 17 of 392
29 December 2010 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Good luck for the new year
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 18 of 392
31 December 2010 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Sorry it’s been so long in getting back to respond. I’ve been rather lazy as of late.

@Whitefish: Don’t worry! I also got very excited reading the intro to your log (cool pictures, by the way) and those of others. 谢谢!

@paranday: Thanks for dropping by and for the wonderful comment!

@Kuikentje, noriyuki_nomura, and Iolanthe: Dank jullie wel!

@Sprachprofi: Thanks, Sprachprofi. That spreadsheet is just amazing! I spent a couple hours familiarizing myself with it yesterday and adapting it for myself, and I just can’t wait to start using it. :)

@legoland: Asante sana. I’ll have to take a look at those links.

@Solfrid Cristin: Большое спасибо, Кристина! That comment just made my day.

@Élan: سلام الان جان، متشکرم! موفق باشى! منهم خيلى خوشوقتم با تو اين سال ياد بگيرم.

@Li Fei: 非常感謝! Good luck with your Chinese this year, and I’ll also be following your log. :)

@Meelämmchen: Thanks. I love your username, by the way. !בהצלחה

@darkwhispersdal: Thanks. İyi şanslar to you too. :)

So… In the past few days, I’ve done very little. I’ve worked on Anki and kanji reviews daily, and have also listened a little bit to the Michel Thomas Dutch Advanced Course. I think I’m almost done with that one, actually.

But suddenly, the first bout wanderlust of the year strikes—before the year has even technically started! What is this language?

Czy wy mówicie po polsku?

Yes, Polish. I played around with it a little bit back in April, but didn’t get far. I’m hoping this won’t blow up into another language that I have to worry about now, but I couldn’t resist the urge to learn a little. Last night I listened to the first two hours or so of the Michel Thomas Polish Foundation Course, and made an Anki list of the vocabulary included, plus some more words/phrases I added in. So far the deck has almost 200 words/phrases. For the verbs I included both the imperfective and perfective, if I could find both, and also the irregular conjugations. We’ll see where this goes from here…

Ellasevia

EDIT: Overall, the MT course for Polish is going very well, but I have just one question. The teacher (who has such a cute voice and accent!) said that the word for "to help" in Polish is something that sounded like pomóc, but when I looked it up, I come with pomagać as the only verb. Is this maybe just the imperfective form and the pomóc I was hearing is the perfective? Dziękuję bardzo!

Edited by ellasevia on 31 December 2010 at 2:12am

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5132 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 19 of 392
31 December 2010 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi ellasevia!

Your plans for TAC 2011 look amazing (really, I’m always amazed—and awed—reading your logs).

I wish you a fantastic 2011—and not just for your language learning!

Emme

Edited by Emme on 31 December 2010 at 6:49pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4956 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 20 of 392
31 December 2010 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 

I look forward to reading this log. I really enjoyed your last one.

To answer your question about the Polish verbs - yes, pomoc is the perfective form of pomagac. By the way, how do you get Polish letters to show up in your posts? I haven't figured it out yet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5058 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 21 of 392
31 December 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Have you found that learning many languages simultaneously gives you a better result than focusing on one or two
at a time? Or is it that you're just so passionate about them that you can't resist being in as many as possible at
once?

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 22 of 392
01 January 2011 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
So, this is going to sound just a *little* crazy. Okay, maybe very crazy. But in the final hours of 2010, I have decided to switch a couple things around with my languages for the coming year.

You might notice some alterations in my profile: Esperanto is gone, and Polish has appeared. This is because I have decided to exchange Esperanto for Polish. :) I've fallen into one of these pits of no motivation for Esperanto again, and while I like the language and find it fascinating, I just can't seem to motivate myself enough to bring it up to the level I'd like and then keep it there. If I were going to attend an Esperanto event that would probably be different, but for now, ĝis la revido to Esperanto. I’ll probably still work on vocabulary reviews for it in Anki, and maybe the occasional grammar lesson, but otherwise, adiaŭ.

Polish, on the other hand, is an entirely different story. I love Slavic languages, and was overjoyed to begin studying Russian this summer. Since then, I’ve been very interested in learning another so as to broaden my knowledge of the family as a whole and to discover their delightful individual complexities, and would like to learn at least one language from each of the East, West, and South Slavic branches. I had a small obsession with Slovenian about a month ago, but it didn't really go anywhere. I’m very interested in Polish, and studied it as a small side project/experiment in April. I quite liked studying it, and was eager to return to either it or Czech. This brings me to the other conflict. I was set on learning Czech for a long time, but suddenly Polish has just become so much more appealing, but I was nonetheless vacillating for a long time about this. So, cześć Polish!

I’m going to treat Polish like I was planning on treating Esperanto, that is, a non-focus language all year. The only difference is that as Polish is much more difficult than Esperanto, I obviously will not be moving it into the maintenance-only group. My goal for Polish is to reach a strong A2 level by the end of 2011. I think that should be manageable. For materials I hope to be using both Michel Thomas courses (if I can find the advanced one for a decent price), Teach Yourself Polish (1992 version), Spoken World Polish, and Assimil Polish in either French, Italian, or German (I have yet to decide). I already have the first two of those, and need to buy the second two once I figure out why my credit card keeps being rejected. I’ll edit the second introductory post and add this information.

In other news, I actually did some study today. I worked on Polish for a little bit and have now completed the MT Foundation Course up through the fourth CD. The fifth one, however, has some corrupted tracks so it just ends up repeating the same things over and over (“How do you say ‘from England?’” “Z Anglii.” “How do you say ‘from England?’” “Z Anglii.”). I’ll have to figure out a way around that…maybe looking at the booklet and reading what was covered in those tracks will help. I’ve also begun my review of French by working out of my “Advanced French Grammar” workbook. Honestly though, it doesn’t seem all that advanced and there have not actually been any exercises so far, just reading. I hope that there will be some benefit that I can get out of this course.

@Emme: Grazie mille!

@Amerykanko: Dziękuję bardzo! I just copy and paste the special characters in. You could also install a Polish keyboard on your computer.

@Merv: Well, I feel a bit awkward answering this question now that I've just added yet another language to my list there. The last time I was studying only one language at a time was...well never. But the last time I self-studied only one language at one time was about three years ago. I think I probably would make really quick progress if I did this, but the problem with me is that I'd get bored of doing just one language. The trade is, of course, that you don't make as much progress, but that's okay as long as I'm enjoying the process. I guess you could say I'm passionate, but I think a more appropriate adjective to use here would be unfocused. There's a better word for what I mean, but I can't think of it right now.

Well, just over an hour remains of 2010 in my timezone, so I wish everyone here a very Happy New Year with lots of success, peace, and happiness. Good luck to everyone!
¡Próspero Año Nuevo!
Feliz Ano Novo!
Bonne Année!
Felice Anno Nuovo!
An Nou Fericit!
Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!
Gutes Neues Jahr!
Gott Nytt År!
Καλή Χρονιά!
Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku!
С Новым Годом!
سال نو مبارک!
Heri ya Mwaka Mpya!
良いお年を!

Edited by ellasevia on 02 January 2011 at 1:41am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 392
02 January 2011 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
So, this is going to sound just a *little* crazy. Okay, maybe very crazy. But in the final hours of 2010, I have decided to switch a couple things around with my languages for the coming year.

If your craziest move this year is to exchange Esperanto for Polish, I am not particularly worried about you, ellasevia. If you start smoking pot, dropping out of school and go joy-riding - THEN I'll start worrying about you :)

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version