5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 297 of 392
16 July 2011 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
WARNING: I am extremely excited right now, which may result in me sounding crazy. Not that that would be untrue, but let's not get into that...

The reason I'm writing this now is because only moments ago I received the long-awaited scores for the AP tests which I took at the beginning of May. If you'll recall, I took the French and German exams (along with two others unrelated to foreign languages). I felt very good coming out of the German one and so-so coming out of the French one, but apparently the way I felt coming out of the exams had no bearing on my results because I got a FIVE on both of them! For those unfamiliar with the AP grading scale, it goes from one to five, with five being the highest possible score. I can hardly contain my excitement!

DE: Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu diesem sehr guten Prüfungsergebnis! Ich kenne diese amerikanischen Prüfungen nicht, aber du hast uns ja die Notenskala erklärt. So etwas gibt einem ein tolles Gefühl und sicherlich Motivation zum Weiterlernen und Anwenden der Sprachen. Ich finde, du hast einen eindrucksvollen Log, der sich mit dem Lernen so vieler Sprachen beschäftigt und sehr gut geschrieben ist. Auch die graphische Gestaltung ist dir sehr gelungen.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 July 2011 at 8:39am

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 298 of 392
16 July 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
@Thatzright: I guess Chung has already answered this, but AP (“Advanced Placement”) classes are university-level classes with a very specific curriculum that you can choose to take in high school and which culminate with the AP exam at the end of the year. There are all sorts of subjects, from calculus to Spanish literature to psychology; for example this past school year I took AP English, German, US History, and Environmental Science (but I took the French exam even though I didn’t take the class and skipped the US History exam because there was a scheduling conflict with German). In any case, if you do well on the exams you can receive college credit for that subject area and be excused from certain requirements, not to mention that getting good scores just looks really good on college applications.

DE: Danke dir für die Erklärungen zu den AP - Prüfungen. Ich kenne diese überhaupt nicht, denn so etwas vergleichbares gibt es an deutschen Schulen nicht. Wir haben nur die Abiturprüfungen, jeder Abiturient wird in vier Fächern geprüft. So ein "credit" - System gibt es in Deutschland nicht, das heißt man kann in der Schule keine Punkte für die Universität oder die Fachhochschule sammeln. Du wirst wahrscheinlich wissen, dass es auch keine "colleges" in Deutschland gibt.

Fasulye

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5923 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 299 of 392
23 July 2011 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Quarter 3: Russian, Japanese
Week 29: July 16 – July 22

Total Study Time This Week: 35 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 436.75 hours

Average Study Time This Week: 5 hours/day
Average Study Time in 2011: 2.15 hours/day

Victory at last! This week marks a several awesome points in my studies for this year:
  • Best study time of the year! 35 hours in one week is now my new personal record. Previously it was 25.5 hours, which was set all the way back in Week 9.
  • As of this week, July has officially surpassed the total study times for March, April, May, and June. And I still have over a week left! I haven’t logged this many hours in one month since February!
  • All of that and I also managed to spend at least a little time on each of my target languages this week. Weee!
  • Wednesday also marked the 200th day of the year. It’s not something that I did, but it’s still pretty exciting and I just love useless numbers like that.

Now, back to what I’ve done. This week I interestingly spent an inordinate amount of time on Dutch, which ended up being the most-studied language of the week (and the year, for that matter). To be sure, I also fit in over six hours of study for my two actual focus languages, as well as plenty of time for my “secondary focus languages” of Persian and Finnish. In other words, all around positivity. Although I’m not getting my hopes up, I would naturally like for next week to be even better since my birthday is on Wednesday and I’d love to be able to say that my birthday week had the best study time of the year. :)

РУССКИЙ
Total Study Time This Week: 6.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 32.75 hours

- Russian story
- Ultimate Russian Lessons 1-2 (review), 3-7 (+BYKI)

I started off this week’s Russian study by trying to work on my story in Russian, but soon saw the futility of that effort. I just need to know more Russian in general before tackling a project like that. So, feeling little attraction to working out of any of my approximately fifteen Russian books that I have sitting on my bookshelf, I went to the library and checked out Ultimate Russian once again. I did the first two lessons of it last September but then got distracted by learning the cursive Cyrillic alphabet and verbs of motion, the result of which was that I never got any further in the book before having to return it. Anyways, this week I reviewed those first two lessons and resumed where I had left off and completed the next five lessons. The material isn’t exactly thrilling so far, but I’m hoping that it will become more exciting as it progresses and becomes more advanced.

Total Study Time This Week: 6.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 46.5 hours

- Japanese Sentence Patterns, Ch. 11-12
- New Vocabulary
- Ultimate Japanese Review, Lessons 36-38

At the beginning of the week I finished off the last two chapters of my beloved sentence pattern book and added the last bit of vocabulary from it to Anki before finally having to say goodbye to it. It’s such a wonderful feeling of achievement when you finish working through a language book at last, but also rather sad if you’re attached to said book. (I also experienced the same sadness last year when I finished my favorite Swahili book.) Consumed my by despair at no longer having a sentence pattern book to study from, I subsequently ignored Japanese up until today, when I realized that I desperately needed some more study time for it this week. So I cracked open my old copy of Ultimate Japanese and after quickly reviewing over a few of the earlier lessons, I picked up where I left off last year on lesson 36 and completed three lessons out of it. The very first new dialogue I read provided for a rather abrupt return to the book, since it was representing the informal spoken language and was leaving out particles (は, が, を, に, etc) and using contractions, neither of which I was used to. I’m now back in my old routine with this book though and am saddened to think that I only have two more lessons left before I finish it too! In any case, the last five lessons cover some pretty amazing subjects: 教育 (Education), 伝統演劇 (Traditional Theatre), 美術 (Fine Arts), 本屋 (Bookstores), and 詩歌 (Poetry). I actually squealed in delight when I saw those. :)

Deutsch
Total Study Time This Week: 0.5 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 28 hours

- Word of the Day Vocabulary
- Tatoeba

I started off my German studies this week by continuing with going through my hundreds of German words of the day, but I quickly got bored of doing that. I discovered the website Tatoeba this week and after getting tired of the words of the day, I went on there and started sifting through sentences in German, translating them if I could (most often into Greek since that was rarely there yet), and looking up any new words and adding those to Anki. Not very substantial study there, but it was still contact with the language and, voilà, counts as study time.

Nederlands
Total Study Time This Week: 12.75 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 66 hours

- Reading and writing in Dutch

Seeing it listed as simply as that makes it sound rather unimpressive and boring, so I’d like to stress the sheer amount of it I did this week (ahem, almost 13 hours). Basically this reading and writing consisted of reading incoming emails in Dutch, looking up all new words and adding those to Anki, and writing my own responses in Dutch. All of that was topped off by the fact that I also got corrections for my numerous mistakes, which luckily became noticeably less frequent over the course of the week. This exercise in simply putting my skills into practice – both passively and actively – has already given my Dutch a wonderful boost, even if I’m still making an inexcusable amount of errors.

Svenska
Total Study Time This Week: 1 hour
Total Study Time in 2011: 38.25 hours

- Swedish radio
- Tatoeba

Herregud! I actually did some work on Swedish this week, even if only a little, for the first time since the beginning of March. Unfortunately that was the only good news here. The bad news is that while listening to a bit of Swedish radio, I discovered that I couldn’t understand it even half as well as I could earlier this year. Another bit of bad news is that my written Swedish is similarly rusty, which I discovered while attempting to translate to and from Swedish on Tatoeba. That’s all to be somewhat expected though, if discouraging, seeing as how I have barely so much as looked at the language in the past five months.

Ελληνικά
Total Study Time This Week: 1 hour
Total Study Time in 2011: 52.5 hours

- Word of the Day Vocabulary
- Tatoeba

Again, essentially the same story as with German except that I spent an entire half hour going over words of the day before putting an end to that effort. Like I mentioned before, my translations on Tatoeba were for the most part into Greek so I counted doing that as study time as well. Most of them were very simple sentences that are second nature to me, but even so.

فارسى
Total Study Time This Week: 4.5 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 49 hours

- Pimsleur Farsi 12-20

Still more of the same for Persian. I’m now up through lesson 20 of my review of Pimsleur Farsi (nine additional lessons this week) and all is still going well. I was doing more outside work earlier in the week and did what were probably the most Pimsleur lessons that I’ve ever done in a row – after five of them I couldn’t take any more of the Pimsleury monotony and had to reward myself with something more entertaining after that point.

Suomi
Total Study Time This Week: 2.75 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 20.5 hours

- Assimil Lessons 22-26

I’m still chugging along nicely with Le Finnois Sans Peine. Like I talked about last week, the lessons are introducing more and more complicated constructions now, which seem daunting but really aren’t that hard. Or at least Assimil’s lovely format is making it all seem much more manageable. In other words, I think it’s living up to its “Sans Peine” title thus far. Just one example of this is that I’m already getting much more comfortable with the Finnish consonant gradation system that affects some consonants in the word root when certain endings are added (for example: pöytä --> pöydällä, Amerikka --> Amerikassa, kylpy --> kylvyn) – and Assimil has only just now begun to make notes about it in the grammar section.

OTHER
@Fasulye: Thank you for the compliments and congratulations! I did not actually know that Germany does not have “colleges,” but then again I don’t specifically even know the difference between a “college” and a “university” because both words are often used interchangeably in (American?) English. I should probably look that up actually. (Oh, and I apologize for not having written back in German; it’s past midnight here right now and the result of me trying to compose something in German at this hour would surely be a nightmare of horrific mistakes so I didn’t even bother.) Gute Nacht!

EDIT: That's how tired I was when I was writing this last night -- I included last week's graph for this week's post. Oops! Fixed now.

Edited by ellasevia on 23 July 2011 at 3:15pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 300 of 392
23 July 2011 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
WOW, go you!!!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 301 of 392
23 July 2011 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
You're on fire this week, bro! ^u^

Élan
United States
Joined 5225 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 302 of 392
23 July 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations! Go go go! I can't wait to see your totals for next week. :) I'm Pimsleuring right along with ya!

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5821 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 303 of 392
24 July 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations your numbers are looking good especially for Dutch

mirab3lla
Triglot
United Kingdom
lang-8.com/220477Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5224 days ago

161 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Spanish, FrenchB1, Mandarin

Message 304 of 392
27 July 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Hey Philip, I know I haven't visited this forum for a while, but I came back to say "Happy birthday" to you! May all you wishes come true and I hope you'll have the power to learn all the languages you lust for!

I know it is too common, but I couldn't help myself not to post this :)

Afrikaans: Veels geluk met jouverjaarsdag!
Albanian: Urime ditelindjen!
Alsatian: Gueter geburtsdaa!
Amharic: Melkam lidet!
Arabic: Eid milaad saeed! or Kul sana wa inta/i tayeb/a! (masculine/feminine)
Armenian: Taredartzet shnorhavor! or Tsenund shnorhavor!
Assyrian: Eida D'moladukh Hawee Brikha!
Austrian-Viennese: Ois guade winsch i dia zum Gbuadsdog!
Basque: Zorionak!
Belauan-Micronesian: Ungil el cherellem!
Bengali (Bangladesh/India): Shuvo Jonmodin!
Bislama (Vanuatu): Hapi betde! or Yumi selebretem de blong bon blong yu!
Brazil: Parabens a voce! or Parabens e muitas felicidades!
Breton: Deiz-ha-bloaz laouen deoc'h!
Bulgarian: Chestit Rojden Den!
Cambodian: Som owie nek mein aryouk yrinyu!
Catalan: Per molts anys! or Bon aniversari! or Moltes Felicitats!
Chamorro: Biba Kumplianos!
Chinese Fuzhou: San Ni Kuai Lo!
Chinese-Cantonese: Sun Yat Fai Lok!
Chinese-Mandarin: Sheng Ri Kuai Le!
Chinese-Shanghaiese: San ruit kua lok!
Chinese-Tiociu: Se Jit khuai lak!
Chronia : NA ZHSHS
Croatian: Sretan Rodendan!
Czech: Vsechno nejlepsi k Tvym narozeninam!!
Danish: Tillykke med fodselsdagen!
Dutch: Hartelijk gefeliciteerd! or Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!
Dutch-Antwerps: Ne gelukkege verjoardach!
Dutch-Bilzers: Ne geleukkege verjoardoag!
Dutch-Drents: Fellisiteert!
Dutch-Flemish: Gelukkige verjaardag! or Prettige verjaardag!
Dutch-Frisian: Fan herte lokwinske!
Dutch-Limburgs: Proficiat! or Perfisia!
Dutch-Spouwers: Ne geleukkege verjeurdoag!
Dutch-Twents: Gefeliciteard met oen'n verjoardag!
English: Happy Birthday!
Esperanto: Felichan Naskightagon!
Estonian: Palju onne sunnipaevaks!
Euskera: Zorionak zure urtebetetze egunean!
Faroes ( Faroe island ): Tillukku vid fodingardegnum!
Farsi: Tavalodet Mobarak!
Finnish: Hyvaa syntymapaivaa!
French (Canada): Bonne Fete!
French: Joyeux Anniversaire!
Frisian: Lokkiche jierdei!
Gaelic: Co` latha breith sona dhut!
Galician (Spain): Ledicia no teucumpreanos!
Georgian: Gilotcav dabadebis dges!
German: Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
German-Badisch: Allis Guedi zu dim Fescht!
German-Bavarian: Ois Guade zu Deim Geburdstog!
German-Berlinisch: Allet Jute ooch zum Jeburtstach! or Ick wuensch da allet Jute zum Jeburtstach!
German-Bernese: Es Muentschi zum Geburri!
German-Camelottisch: Ewllews Gewtew zewm Gewbewrtstewg. Mew!
German-Frankonian: Allmecht! Iich wuensch Dir aan guuadn Gebuardsdooch!
German-Lichtenstein: Haerzliche Glueckwuensche zum Geburtstag!
German-Plattdeutsch: Ick wuensch Di allns Gode ton Geburtsdach!
German-Rhoihessisch: Ich gratelier Dir aach zum Geburtstag!
German-Saarlaendisch: Alles Gudde for dei Gebordsdaach!
German-Saechsisch: Herzlischen Gliggwunsch zum Geburdsdaach!
German-Schwaebisch: Aelles Guade zom Gebordzdag!
German-Wienerisch: Ois Guade zum Geburdsdog!
Greek: Efticharismena Gennethlia! or Chronia polla!
Greenlandic: Inuuinni pilluarit!
Gronings (Netherlands): Fielsteerd mit joen verjoardag!
Gujarati (India): Janma Divas Mubarak!
Gujrati (Pakistan): Saal Mubarak!
Hawaiian: Hau`oli la hanau!
Hebrew: Yom Huledet Same'ach!
Hiligaynon (Philippines): Masadya gid nga adlaw sa imo pagkatawo!
Hindi (India): Janam Din ki badhai! or Janam Din ki shubkamnaayein!
Hungarian: Boldog szuletesnapot! or Isten eltessen!
Icelandic: Til hamingju med afmaelisdaginn!
Indonesian: Selamat Ulang Tahun!
Irish-gaelic: La-breithe mhaith agat! or Co` latha breith sona dhut! or Breithla Shona Dhuit!
Italian (Piedmont): Bun Cumpleani!
Italian: Buon Compleanno!
Japanese: Otanjou-bi Omedetou Gozaimasu!
Javaans-Indonesia: Slamet Ulang Taunmoe!
Jerriais: Bouon Anniversaithe!
Kannada (India): Huttida Habba Subashayagalu!
Kapangpangan (Philippines): Mayap a Kebaitan
Kashmiri (India): Voharvod Mubarak Chuy!
Kazakh (Kazakstan): Tughan kuninmen!
Korean: Saeng il chuk ha ham ni da!
Kyrgyz: Tulgan kunum menen!
Latin: Fortuna dies natalis!
Latvian: Daudz laimes dzimsanas diena!
Lithuanian: Sveikinu su gimtadieniu! or Geriausi linkejimai gimtadienio proga!
Lunganda: Nkwagaliza amazalibwa go amalungi!
Luxembourgeois: Vill Gleck fir daei Geburtsdaag!
Macedonian: Sreken roden den!
Malayalam (India): Pirannal Aasamsakal! or Janmadinasamsakal!
Malaysian: Selamat Hari Jadi!
Maltese: Nifrahlek ghal gheluq snienek!
Maori: Kia huritau ki a koe!
Marathi (India): Wadhdiwasachya Shubhechha!
Mauritian Kreol: mo swet u en bonlaniverser
Mbula : Leleng ambai pa mbeng ku ta ipet i!
Mongolian: Torson odriin mend hurgee!
Navajo: bil hoozho bi'dizhchi-neeji' 'aneilkaah!
Nepali: Janma dhin ko Subha kamana!
Niederdeutsch (North Germany): Ick gratuleer di scheun!
Norwegian: Gratulerer med dagen!
Oriya (India): Janmadina Abhinandan!
Pashto (Afganistan): Padayish rawaz day unbaraksha!
Persian: Tavalodet Mobarak!
Pinoy (Philippines): Maligayang kaarawan sa iyo!
Polish: Wszystkiego Najlepszego! or Wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji urodzin!
Portuguese (Brazil): Parabens pelo seu aniversario!
Portuguese: Feliz Aniversario! or Parabens!
Punjabi (India): Janam din diyan wadhayian!
Rajasthani (India): Janam ghaanth ri badhai, khoob jeeyo!
Romanian: La Multi Ani!
Rosarino Basico (Argentina): Feneligiz Cunumplegeanagonos!
Russian: S dniom razhdjenia! or Pazdravliayu s dniom razhdjenia!
Samoan: Manuia lou aso fanau!
Sanskrit (India): Ravihi janmadinam aacharati!
Sardinian (Italy): Achent'annos!
Serbian: Srecan Rodjendan!
Slovak: Vsetko najlepsie k narodeninam!
Slovene: Vse najboljse za rojstni dan!
Sotho: Masego motsatsing la psalo!
Spanish: Feliz Cumplean~os!
Sri Lankan: Suba Upan dinayak vewa!
Sundanese: Wilujeng Tepang Taun!
Surinamese: Mi fresteri ju!
Swahili: Hongera! or Heri ya Siku kuu!
Swedish: Grattis pa fodelsedagen!
Syriac: Tahnyotho or brigo!
Tagalog (Philippines): Maligayang Bati Sa Iyong Kaarawan!
Taiwanese: San leaz quiet lo!
Tamil (India): Piranda naal vaazhthukkal!
Telugu (India): Janmadina subha kankshalu!
Telugu: Puttina Roju Shubakanksalu!
Thai: Suk San Wan Keut!
Tibetan: Droonkher Tashi Delek!
Turkish: Dogum gunun kutlu olsun!
Ukrainian: Mnohiya lita! or Z dnem narodjennia!
Urdu (India): Janam Din Mubarak
Urdu (Pakistan): Saalgirah Mubarak!
Vietnamese: Chuc Mung Sinh Nhat!
Visayan (Philippines): Malipayong adlaw nga natawhan!
Welsh: Penblwydd Hapus i Chi!
Xhosa (South Afican): Imini emandi kuwe!
Yiddish: A Freilekhn Gebortstog!
Yoruba (Nigeria): Eku Ojobi!
Zulu (South Afican): Ilanga elimnandi kuwe!

I hope all of them are correct!

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version