Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
392 messages over 49 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41 ... 48 49 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 321 of 392
21 August 2011 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Quarter 3: Russian, Japanese
Week 33: August 13 – August 19

Total Study Time This Week: 1.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 489.25 hours

Average Study Time This Week: 0.18 hours/day
Average Study Time in 2011: 2.12 hours/day

Well then, this will be a rather short update. Between a small case of burnout after last week’s huge amount of study, school starting, and plenty of new emotional breakdowns (yay, they’re back!), I might as well have not studied at all this week. However, since I’m back in school I now have contact with Japanese and/or German every weekday so there’s that at least. Hopefully this next week will be better, but I make no guarantees.

I actually forgot to write down the activities that I did this week, but thankfully I reported them to the 6WC Bot so I was able to retrieve them that way. Also, I apologize for the lack of enthusiasm this time around; I’ve been crying for over an hour and am feeling rather dead inside.

Nederlands
Total Study Time This Week: 0.5 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 81.75 hours

- Reading in Dutch
- Listening in Dutch

Nothing really to comment on here. I read a little bit in Dutch and listened to a little in Dutch. It’s fairly self-explanatory.

Ελληνικά
Total Study Time This Week: 0.75 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 56.5 hours

- Ο Αλχημιστής
- Vocabulary

I read more out of Ο Αλχημιστής this week. I didn’t have very much time or ability to concentrate though, so I only read one or two chapters, along with adding the new vocabulary.

OTHER
@aloysius: I can’t believe I didn’t think of that! That proverb was one of the ones I’ve studied already, and it has a direct equivalent in French which I know as well: Les petits ruisseaux font les grandes rivières. Well, många tack, in any case. :)
@Solfrid Cristin: I think having a Greek family and having traveled to Greece more than ten times could be contributing factors in being able to speak Greek. :) In all honesty though, I barely manage at all. If I actually remembered most of what I learn I would be far more advanced than I am in all my languages. Instead, I’m constantly wallowing in a tide of forgetfulness.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5480 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 322 of 392
21 August 2011 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
I'm sorry to hear that it's been a rough week for you personally. *hugs* I've been having a weird summer myself, with a lot of emotional epiphanies, not all of them pleasant, so I can sympathize. I don't know if you'll be at all interested, but here's a video I found the other day that I've already watched about five times: Kyle Cease. This guy isn't for everyone, but I find his "tough love" approach to taking control of your own life really inspiring, and when I'm feeling down about my life it helps to watch this. No idea if it'll do the same for you, but it's a worth a shot, so I'm dropping the link here just in case. :)

Don't worry about a bad study week, we all have them sometimes. Knowing that you're not this superhuman language-study machine is actually more inspiring for the rest of us, because it shows that you're human like the rest of us. ;) Hope everything starts looking up a bit for you!

Edited by Jinx on 21 August 2011 at 6:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 323 of 392
21 August 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
Dear ellasevia,

It has not exactly been my dream summer either, so randomly bursting into tears is something I can totally relate to. I visited my father's grave yesterday, to plant some flowers, and yes, another round.

When I was younger I had this book I would turn to every time I got sad, Truddi Chase: When The Rabbit Howls (1987). It is not a pleasent book, it tells the story about a girl who was so severely abused in childhood that she developed 92 different personalities, one of them being a little rabbit who would just sit in a corner and howl. After a chapter or two of that one, I would always say to myself: "Do I have any problems"? "No, not really", and shake it off. Most of my everyday problems, worrying about school, losing a boy friend, a quarrel with a friend, physical pain due to illness, would all melt into insignificance in comparison.

What most comes to mind in your particular case though, is a cartoon about Charlie Brown. It must be more than 25 years since I saw it, but if I remember correctly he is ranting about how he has no good things in his life, and what a failure he is, when his sister looks at him and says: "You do have a little sister who loves you"!

And I know that there are several people on this forum who care about you, and scores more that are deeply impressed by your acheivements. Even in the week where all you have had the energy to do is 1. 25 hours of study time. :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 21 August 2011 at 9:26am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Élan
United States
Joined 5231 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 324 of 392
21 August 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Cristina and Jinx said everything better than I ever could! I just wanted to post and give you some *e-hugs* and let you know that I look up to you no matter what your results are for the week. Hang in there, Philip.

Ps. Add me in to the "weird summer" group. I thought life wouldn't be so confusing once you finished college, got married and reached responsible adulthood. Boy, was I wrong!

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5827 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 326 of 392
21 August 2011 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to read that you've had a rough week when I feel dead inside I always go back to my favourite poem and recite it to help carry me through

Invictus- William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 327 of 392
21 August 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Always try to capture the warming rays of sunlight in your life. Recall the feeling of
them on your face.

(this is in my hometown)

Edited by Sprachprofi on 21 August 2011 at 4:42pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5827 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 328 of 392
21 August 2011 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Wow that's a beautiful picture

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version