Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 353 of 392
25 October 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Sabes que vas a tener que contarnos la razón de tu alegría, no? Estamos esperando... :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 354 of 392
26 October 2011 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Eeek, a bunch of people have just written comments here and it's making me nervous to leave them unanswered until the next update, so here you go:

@Jinx: Not pointless at all -- it's always nice to know that someone is looking out for your well-being. :) That's funny about Dürrenmatt. It really is a good play so I'll be interested to hear what you think of it if you get around to reading it in the near future. Uups. Ich habe das auch vergessen. Nächstes Mal werden wir es schaffen.

@TixhiiDon: გმადლობთ to you too. I was extremely pleased that I could both read and understand all of what you wrote in Georgian, except for the word ბედნიერი, which I was able to infer from context anyways.

@ReQuest: Vet, nog een tiener op het forum. Je hebt gelijk, een pauze is niets om me voor te schamen, en is ook waarschijnlijk gunstig zodat ik me niet helemaal overweldigd voel. Wees maar niet jaloers, ik ben gewoon een beetje gek. Ik vind het prachtig dat ook jij als tiener vreemde talen leert, en het is waarschijnlijk een beter idee om op minder talen te concentreren. En wat bedoelde je precies met "uitgaan"?

@Solfrid Cristin: Ésta es una de las pocas situaciones en las cuales te voy a decir que no quiero compartir nada contigo (por lo menos por el momento). Lo único que tienes que saber es que estoy más alegre ahora y eso tendrá que bastarte.

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4817 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 355 of 392
26 October 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
Uitgaan = to party, to go to a club with friends

Edited by ReQuest on 26 October 2011 at 11:26am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 356 of 392
26 October 2011 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

@Solfrid Cristin: Ésta es una de las pocas situaciones en las cuales te voy a decir que no quiero compartir nada contigo (por lo menos por el momento). Lo único que tienes que saber es que estoy más alegre ahora y eso tendrá que bastarte.

Sin problema hijo :-) Cuando estás dispuesto a contarlo, aquí estamos, y mientras tanto, estamos felices por ti!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5927 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 357 of 392
31 October 2011 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
Quarter 4: German, Swahili
Weeks 43: October 22 – October 28

Total Study Time This Week: 2.75 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 531.75 hours

Average Study Time This Week: 0.39 hours/day
Average Study Time in 2011: 1.77 hours/day

This week was very nondescript, but that seems to be my reality for now. The Six Week Challenge starts on Tuesday, though, and I’m very excited, so hopefully that will revive my studies a little bit. I was actually studying (and legitimately studying, not just writing or reading) some Swahili a little earlier today, and I realized that I had forgotten how fun it was. That’s good because I was afraid that I had forgotten how to study the way I used to because it’s been so long.

Last Sunday I went to an informational meeting for the exchange program that I intend to participate in during the next school year. It was very helpful and I got to hear about the program in more detail and hear from students who had gone on it previously. I’ve started the application process and should know by sometime in December where I’ll be going next year, if I get in. We’re supposed to list our top six choices for countries, and I think mine would be the following: the Netherlands, France, Germany, Sweden, Croatia, and Switzerland. (I guess I could also substitute Italy for Switzerland.) Of those, the only one where the language would pose a problem would be Croatia, but we have about seven months between finding out where we’re being sent and actually going, and in that time we’re required to be studying the language of the country, so I would have ample time to make a stab at learning some Croatian.

Nederlands
Total Study Time This Week: 0.75 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 82.75 hours

- Writing in Dutch
- Speaking in Dutch!!!
- Vocabulary

I spent 45 minutes this past week writing in Dutch. It’s not very long, I know, but at least it’s something, which is more than I can say for the past several weeks. Also, at the informational meeting I mentioned there was an exchange student from the Netherlands, so I got to speak with him briefly in Dutch. I was not actually planning to say anything because I’m shy, but my dear mother told him that I study Dutch, so I was sort of obligated to say something at that point. It was a very basic and boring conversation because I’m bad at talking to people regardless of the language, but he said that my Dutch was unbelievably good. I know that it’s a blatant lie and it probably had more to do with the fact that he had never met anyone who had learned Dutch on their own before than with any skill on my part, but it was nice to get a compliment nonetheless.

Svenska
Total Study Time This Week: 1.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 48.25 hours

- Pocahontas på svenska

I should probably find a new movie in Swedish so that I don’t keep on watching the same one over and over. But I do this with movies in English too, so why should Swedish be any different? Exactly.

Русский
Total Study Time This Week: 0.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 52.75 hours

- Writing in Russian

Apparently I wrote something in Russian this week. When, where, why, and to whom? I don’t remember. But hooray for having done so.

Total Study Time This Week: 0.5 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 51.75 hours

- Vocabulary

I got bored in my Japanese class while we were working in the computer lab one day, so I just typed up the entire chapter’s worth of vocabulary instead of doing whatever we were supposed to be doing and then added the words to Anki when I got home. The end.

Edited by ellasevia on 31 October 2011 at 5:10am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 358 of 392
31 October 2011 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

Last Sunday I went to an informational meeting for the exchange program that I intend to participate in during the next school year. It was very helpful and I got to hear about the program in more detail and hear from students who had gone on it previously. I’ve started the application process and should know by sometime in December where I’ll be going next year, if I get in. We’re supposed to list our top six choices for countries, and I think mine would be the following: the Netherlands, France, Germany, Sweden, Croatia, and Switzerland.

This sounds great! No wonder you have been happy lately. I really hope you get to go to the country at the top of your list. It is so much more rewarding when you are really motivated and know someone in the country. And if you do get there, don't forget to come to Oslo for a weekend, there are cheap flights from Amsterdam, and you could bring a friend and come and see a new country.

My American cousin studied in Vienna for 6 months, and he made a point of going visiting as many countries as he possibly could while he was here in Europe.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4644 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 359 of 392
31 October 2011 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Swahili, wow :) Which books do you use for learning?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 360 of 392
22 November 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
Ellasevia, you are being missed :-)

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version