Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
392 messages over 49 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 48 49 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 41 of 392
16 January 2011 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
@ReneeMona: Dank je, Renee. Nu heb ik De Kleine Zeemeermin in zes talen (Engels, Nederlands, Zweeds, Spaans, Grieks, en Japaans) gezien. Ik wist niet dat er een verschil tussen ‘hé’ en ‘hè’ was (ik bedoelde ‘hè’.) De leraar van de Michel Thomas cursus heeft gezegd, dat er een accent was, maar ik wist niet welke accent te gebruiken. Ik heb weer mijn originele tekst van gisteravond gelezen en ik kon niet geloven, dat ik “ich dachte” heb geschreven toen ik in het Nederlands schreef! Ik was erg moe, denk ik...

@hribecek: Děkuji, hribecek. I'll try to answer your questions, but some of them are not at all easy!

1. I go to what I thought was just a normal high school, but I take two language classes. My school offers Spanish, French, Latin, German, and Japanese, and I take the latter two. I was going to take French this year too, but it turned out that it was going to be taught by my French teacher from last year who was not great at teaching, so I decided not to take it. My German class is excellent I think, and so is my German teacher. It's my favorite class of the day. My Japanese class is nice too, but it would be better if you took away most of the students from it so that it would be a) smaller and b) have only the people who are actually dedicated to learning Japanese instead of the people who are just taking it for the foreign language requirement (and really, if you want an easy class for a requirement, why would you take Japanese of all languages???) and sitting in the back of the class playing on their iPods. Then we could move at something faster than a snail's pace too!

2. This is a difficult question. Do you mean of the ones I'm currently studying (and meaning that I would continue to study them), the ones I speak, or both? I'll answer it all three ways, because I simply can't come up with just one answer. For the three languages that I'd want to continue studying, I'd probably have to choose Japanese, Russian, and Swahili (is it at all weird that those are the three languages that I haven't really studied at all yet this year?). Of the ones that I already speak, I'd choose Greek, French, and German (although it's tempting to say Spanish just so that I would still be able to watch El Internado). Oh, and I was assuming I get to keep English. And altogether... I guess I'd have to say Japanese, Russian, and Greek. What an evil question!

3. I'd love to have languages be a big part of my career, but I don't know yet. My father keeps dropping hints about how I should go to the Defense Language Institute, but since that would then entail joining the military and working for the American government, I am completely turned off by that idea. I know that I definitely don't want to live in this country, or work for it. In terms of majors, as I've been looking at universities the majors/programs I've been looking at have tended to be Linguistics, Arabic, Russian, Japanese, Middle Eastern Studies, East Asian Studies, International Relations, Anthropology, and Geography. I think that gives a good idea of what my interests are.

4. I already love traveling and have visited 14 countries (or 13, if having spent eight hours in the Amsterdam airport this summer doesn't count as having visited the Netherlands). I hope to continue traveling throughout my life to see new and interesting places, and of course to practice my languages. It was such fun learning Swahili in preparation to going to Tanzania this summer. :)

5. Are you prepared to be here all day? I can't choose just one language, because I love the sound of many different languages for different reasons.
Absolute Favorites: Arabic, Finnish, Japanese, Polish, Russian
Runners Up: Czech, Dutch, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Romanian, Persian, Swahili, Swedish

Of course, within those categories I like some more than others. And now I feel bad that I didn't list some of them higher, didn't include some of them at all, etc. And now that I'm looking at that list, I'm asking myself again why I'm not learning Arabic or Finnish yet, since I like them so much. Ugh, just what I needed...

@M. Medialis: Tack! Den är en underbar film. Jag kän bara sången ”Hela min värld” utantill, men jag kän de andra sångerna också. När jag läste frasen ”den är grym” blev jag litet förbryllad därefter att jag hade lärt mig ordet ”grym” som cruel. Intressant att det kan också betyda it rocks i den här kontexten.

@Kerrie: So it does. The funny thing is that while I’ve seen The Little Mermaid probably ten times (or more) since November between the first and second movies, I haven’t seen any of the other ones in years. Maybe I’ll have to revisit some of those.

@Élan: مرسى Yes, it does seem that Persian spelling and pronunciation could do with some standardization. I find it a bit annoying that some of my resources teach the colloquial Tehran pronunciation, while others give the standard pronunciation based on the written language, and some give both! I’m quite used to the colloquial Tehran pronunciation for a lot of words after having done Pimsleur Farsi, and now I just can’t accept them as the same word when I hear them in the standard pronunciation (like gerun vs. gerân, mi-tunam vs. mi-tânam, or shunzdah vs. shânzdah).
2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5246 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 42 of 392
16 January 2011 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
1. I go to what I thought was just a normal high school, but I take
two language classes. My school offers Spanish, French, Latin, German, and Japanese,
and I take the latter two. I was going to take French this year too, but it turned out
that it was going to be taught by my French teacher from last year who was not great at
teaching, so I decided not to take it. My German class is excellent I think, and so is
my German teacher. It's my favorite class of the day. My Japanese class is nice too,
but it would be better if you took away most of the students from it so that it would
be a) smaller and b) have only the people who are actually dedicated to learning
Japanese instead of the people who are just taking it for the foreign language
requirement (and really, if you want an easy class for a requirement, why would you
take Japanese of all languages???) and sitting in the back of the class playing
on their iPods. Then we could move at something faster than a snail's pace too!

2. This is a difficult question. Do you mean of the ones I'm currently studying (and
meaning that I would continue to study them), the ones I speak, or both? I'll answer it
all three ways, because I simply can't come up with just one answer. For the three
languages that I'd want to continue studying, I'd probably have to choose Japanese,
Russian, and Swahili (is it at all weird that those are the three languages that I
haven't really studied at all yet this year?). Of the ones that I already speak, I'd
choose Greek, French, and German (although it's tempting to say Spanish just so that I
would still be able to watch El Internado). Oh, and I was assuming I get to
keep English. And altogether... I guess I'd have to say Japanese, Russian, and Greek.
What an evil question!

3. I'd love to have languages be a big part of my career, but I don't know yet. My
father keeps dropping hints about how I should go to the Defense Language Institute,
but since that would then entail joining the military and working for the American
government, I am completely turned off by that idea. I know that I definitely don't
want to live in this country, or work for it. In terms of majors, as I've been looking
at universities the majors/programs I've been looking at have tended to be Linguistics,
Arabic, Russian, Japanese, Middle Eastern Studies, East Asian Studies, International
Relations, Anthropology, and Geography. I think that gives a good idea of what my
interests are.

4. I already love traveling and have visited 14 countries (or 13, if having spent eight
hours in the Amsterdam airport this summer doesn't count as having visited the
Netherlands). I hope to continue traveling throughout my life to see new and
interesting places, and of course to practice my languages. It was such fun learning
Swahili in preparation to going to Tanzania this summer. :)

5. Are you prepared to be here all day? I can't choose just one language, because I
love the sound of many different languages for different reasons.
Runners Up: Czech, Dutch, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Romanian,
Persian, Swahili, Swedish

Of course, within those categories I like some more than others. And now I feel bad
that I didn't list some of them higher, didn't include some of them at all, etc. And
now that I'm looking at that list, I'm asking myself again why I'm not learning Arabic
or Finnish yet, since I like them so much. Ugh, just what I needed...

პელიპე, შენ მაგარი ხარ!

上の答えを読んで、本当に感動しました。し かもまだ16歳だし!すばらしい将来があな たを
待っているのに違いありません。これからも 語学をがんばってください。応援しています 。
1 person has voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4865 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 43 of 392
16 January 2011 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
and sitting in the back of the class playing on their iPods.

Hah, you should have tried this one at my school or some of my university classes... it would be hell and the class cancelled at once. Having just realized you're only sixteen years old you your current levels and efforts are even more impressive. When did you start learning languages so dedicated?

ellasevia wrote:
Deine Verbesserungen waren sehr behilflich für mich.

Personen können behilflich sein, Handlungen oder Objekte aber sind hilfreich. Ich schätze, daß es sich so verhält, kann dafür aber gerade keine Quelle finden. Es wäre aber bestimmt eine schöne Frage für Deine(n) Deutschlehrer(in) ;) In dem Satz muß aber jedenfalls "hilfreich" stehen.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5338 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 44 of 392
17 January 2011 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
Love the graph, ellasevia! Your log is not only inspiring but very pleasing on the eye. Keep up the great work! :)

Edited by Teango on 17 January 2011 at 1:25pm

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5131 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 45 of 392
17 January 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
@ReneeMona: Dank je, Renee. Nu heb ik De Kleine Zeemeermin in zes talen (Engels, Nederlands, Zweeds, Spaans, Grieks, en Japaans) gezien. Ik wist niet dat er een verschil tussen ‘hé’ en ‘hè’ was (ik bedoelde ‘hè’.) De leraar van de Michel Thomas cursus heeft gezegd, dat er een accent was, maar ik wist niet welke accent te gebruiken. Ik heb weer mijn originele tekst van gisteravond gelezen en ik kon niet geloven, dat ik “ich dachte” heb geschreven toen ik in het Nederlands schreef! Ik was erg moe, denk ik...

@hribecek: Děkuji, hribecek. I'll try to answer your questions, but some of them are not at all easy!

1. I go to what I thought was just a normal high school, but I take two language classes. My school offers Spanish, French, Latin, German, and Japanese, and I take the latter two. I was going to take French this year too, but it turned out that it was going to be taught by my French teacher from last year who was not great at teaching, so I decided not to take it. My German class is excellent I think, and so is my German teacher. It's my favorite class of the day. My Japanese class is nice too, but it would be better if you took away most of the students from it so that it would be a) smaller and b) have only the people who are actually dedicated to learning Japanese instead of the people who are just taking it for the foreign language requirement (and really, if you want an easy class for a requirement, why would you take Japanese of all languages???) and sitting in the back of the class playing on their iPods. Then we could move at something faster than a snail's pace too!

2. This is a difficult question. Do you mean of the ones I'm currently studying (and meaning that I would continue to study them), the ones I speak, or both? I'll answer it all three ways, because I simply can't come up with just one answer. For the three languages that I'd want to continue studying, I'd probably have to choose Japanese, Russian, and Swahili (is it at all weird that those are the three languages that I haven't really studied at all yet this year?). Of the ones that I already speak, I'd choose Greek, French, and German (although it's tempting to say Spanish just so that I would still be able to watch El Internado). Oh, and I was assuming I get to keep English. And altogether... I guess I'd have to say Japanese, Russian, and Greek. What an evil question!

3. I'd love to have languages be a big part of my career, but I don't know yet. My father keeps dropping hints about how I should go to the Defense Language Institute, but since that would then entail joining the military and working for the American government, I am completely turned off by that idea. I know that I definitely don't want to live in this country, or work for it. In terms of majors, as I've been looking at universities the majors/programs I've been looking at have tended to be Linguistics, Arabic, Russian, Japanese, Middle Eastern Studies, East Asian Studies, International Relations, Anthropology, and Geography. I think that gives a good idea of what my interests are.

4. I already love traveling and have visited 14 countries (or 13, if having spent eight hours in the Amsterdam airport this summer doesn't count as having visited the Netherlands). I hope to continue traveling throughout my life to see new and interesting places, and of course to practice my languages. It was such fun learning Swahili in preparation to going to Tanzania this summer. :)

5. Are you prepared to be here all day? I can't choose just one language, because I love the sound of many different languages for different reasons.
Runners Up: Czech, Dutch, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Romanian, Persian, Swahili, Swedish

Of course, within those categories I like some more than others. And now I feel bad that I didn't list some of them higher, didn't include some of them at all, etc. And now that I'm looking at that list, I'm asking myself again why I'm not learning Arabic or Finnish yet, since I like them so much. Ugh, just what I needed...

Thanks for those answers Ellasevia. Sorry about questions 2 and 5, I didn't mean to make you question your current studies! I think Russian is my favourite sounding language too, although Hungarian has been hooking me in too lately. With question 2 I suppose I meant the 3rd option but all of them are nice to know.

I've lived in several countries and I've never heard of a school where you get 2 hours of language learning every day, especially with a choice of 5 and it being in the US where I'd least expect it.

So thanks again and keep up the good work!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 46 of 392
17 January 2011 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
I’d like to just make a commentary on my experiences so far this year with the quarterly focus schedule, and make a slight change.

So, what do I think so far about the idea of focusing on just two (or as the case is this month, three) languages and just maintaining the others in the meantime? Well, I love it! It gives me a feeling of real progress in my focus languages while not neglecting the others… In theory, that is. As you can see I’ve done nothing or almost nothing so far for several languages (Romanian, Russian, Swahili, Japanese, French) while I’ve been doing a ton for Swedish, Persian, and Dutch. How I’m doing it now, I think I’m placing a little too much emphasis on my focus languages, so much so that I’m not getting around to the others. I keep thinking to myself, “Oh, I’ll do some Romanian and Russian tomorrow or later in the week. I want to do some Persian now.” But then I just say the same thing the next day, and the day after that, and so on until I get to Friday to report my progress and realize I’ve still done nothing. This needs to change.

So, I have created a weekly schedule that specifically shows me when to study the non-focus languages so that I can make sure to squeeze them in. I’ve made schedules for each part of the year, but since they’re subject to change I’ll only post the current one at the beginning of that period. Here’s the schedule starting today and continuing through the middle of February. (Oh, and I’ve decided to extend my Dutch focus period to the middle of February because I’m really enjoying it again, and several other participants are making the JDC into a six-week challenge too.)

Weekly Study Schedule For January 17 to February 18
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:
Sunday:

Each occurrence of a flag indicates an hour of study in that language that day. This means that (for this period) I’m lowering my weekly hour goals. Focus languages for five hours per week and non-focus languages for one hour per week. It will go up again after the mid-February when I only have two focus languages.

Yay, I’m excited. Glancing at my schedule, I now know that today I am to study my two focus languages, Swedish and Persian, and one non-focus language, Russian, and can be sure that I’ll have the chance to get to the others during the rest of the week. I feel much better now. :)

Edited by ellasevia on 14 February 2011 at 6:49am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 47 of 392
18 January 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
I am both envious and impressed. Keep being an inspiration to the rest of us!

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6257 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 48 of 392
18 January 2011 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Siempre pensé que Madonna es mi mayor ídolo, pero ahora creo que cambie de opinión. Desde que he leído tus posts, tú eres mi ídolo!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version