Ellasevia’s TAC 2011: Team Ohana

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
392 messages over 49 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 48 49 Next >>
darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5820 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 57 of 392
30 January 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
I used to be up at six every morning while I was at uni but got out of the habit when I returned to my parent's house. I have to be up at 5 on tuesday so I've set myself the goal of getting up the rest of the week at 5 and see how I cope.
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5922 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 58 of 392
31 January 2011 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Okay, so I’m a little late. But better late than never, right?

TixhiiDon wrote:
პელიპე, შენ მაგარი ხარ!

上の答えを読んで、本当に感動しました。し かもまだ16歳だし!すばらしい将来があな たを
待っているのに違いありません。これからも 語学をがんばってください。応援しています 。

გმადლობთ! თქვენც მაგარი ხარ! (I totally guessed on that second sentence. I feel guilty about not studying Georgian now.)

あなたは書いた物をすっかい分からなかった のに,言った物を分かったと思います。あり がとうございます。(I think I said that completely wrong, but hopefully you can understand what I meant.)

Meelämmchen wrote:
When did you start learning languages so dedicated?

That would probably have been when I was twelve, and my first attempt was Mandarin. Failing at that, I didn’t study anything else until later in the year, when I started learning some French and Portuguese. And then there was Esperanto, then German, then Italian, and so forth. Of course I haven’t been so dedicated the whole time…I’ve gotten more and more obsessed as I’ve progressed.

Meelämmchen wrote:
Personen können behilflich sein, Handlungen oder Objekte aber sind hilfreich.

Vielen Dank. Also du bist sehr behilflich, und deine Verbesserungen waren sehr hilfreich. :)

Teango wrote:
Love the graph, ellasevia! Your log is not only inspiring but very pleasing on the eye. Keep up the great work! :)

Thanks, Teango. Of course all the same to you—your L&R projects never fail to amaze! I must give credit to tomsawyer for the idea of the graph though. Hm… He hasn’t written in his log in a while; maybe I should write him a little wake-up note.

hribecek wrote:
Thanks for those answers Ellasevia. Sorry about questions 2 and 5, I didn't mean to make you question your current studies! I think Russian is my favourite sounding language too, although Hungarian has been hooking me in too lately. With question 2 I suppose I meant the 3rd option but all of them are nice to know.

I've lived in several countries and I've never heard of a school where you get 2 hours of language learning every day, especially with a choice of 5 and it being in the US where I'd least expect it.

So thanks again and keep up the good work!

No problem, and köszönöm (oooh, look at all those umlauts!). I guess my school is somewhat unusual in the United States in that it has so many options, but it’s probably equally horrible as the rest of the country in the quality of the classes (with exceptions, like my German class), the requirements for foreign language study, and the number of students who actually take advantage of the opportunity to learn. Which countries have you lived in?

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I am both envious and impressed. Keep being an inspiration to the rest of us!

Thank you, Cristina. I also love your log and the fact that you can cram so much into such a busy schedule is also inspiring for me.

Przemek wrote:
Siempre pensé que Madonna es mi mayor ídolo, pero ahora creo que cambie de opinión. Desde que he leído tus posts, tú eres mi ídolo!

Gracias, Przemek. Supongo que esa Madonna es alguna celebridad, ¿a que sí? No conozco muy bien las personas famosas porque nunca presto bastante atención y no me gusta “la cultura pop,” pero me alegro de que soy tu ídolo, aunque no lo merezca.

Amerykanka wrote:
I can see why that post took you 4 hours to write! I think you should definitely straighten out your sleeping habits. You can't possibly learn much if you are completely exhausted. My mother is always telling me to get more sleep, but it sounds like you get even less than I do. :)

Yes, these posts are quite exhausting to write. I think I’ll start writing them a little bit throughout the week. For example, I’ll write the Polish section on Wednesday after I’ve finished studying Polish. And I completely agree about not learning when you’re tired.

mick33 wrote:
Interesting comments about sleeping. I can relate, many times I will stay awake until 2 or 3 am to practice reading comprehension or writing. When I have done this it's usually Swedish, or more recently Dutch, that keeps me up. Maybe Germanic languages have an energizing effect. :)LOL. I do have to admit that when I stay up late studying a language I always take a nap around 4 pm the next day.

For me recently, the languages that have been keeping me up are Swedish, Dutch, German, and Persian, so maybe you’re right about the Germanic language energizing thing. Or maybe it’s just that those are my focus languages and I felt like I needed to stay up to finish studying them for the day, and German was keeping me up because I put off doing my German homework. :P

TixhiiDon wrote:
I definitely recommend going the route of the lark. For the last few years I've been going to bed around 10 and getting up around 5 or 6 and I love it. Plenty of quiet time in the morning to study or read or exercise, and as you said, I feel really alert for work.

Here's your Japanese paragraph tidied up a bit.

今週は日本語を勉強しました!それでも沢山 忘れましたから、復習だけでした。 「Ultimate 
Japanese」 という本が大好きですが、 この本は10月頃から全然使っていません。何 ��覚えてい
ないのなら、次のレッスンに進まないという ことにしていますので、復習したかったです ね。
「Assimil」は同じです。 そして日本語のクラスでは良い発音をしてい る人一人もいませんか
ら、残念ながら、毎日悪い発音を聞いていま す。自分の発音はもっと悪くなったら嫌です から、
練習したかったです。日本語で日付(デート only means "date" in the sense of "going out
on a date")と年を言うのはちょっと難しいと思いま す。例えば、「私は平成6年7月27日に生まれ
ました」。

“The route of the lark” – I like that. Like I said, last year I was consistently getting up quite early (usually sometime between 4:30 and 5:30) and going to bed by 11:00, or shortly thereafter at the latest, so I know how wonderful that sleep schedule is. I started to switch over to a new schedule last night, and I was up in bed by 11:30, I think, awake by 6:15, and out of bed by 7:00 (I was doing Anki in bed, so it wasn’t like I was just lying there idly). Major success compared to sleeping in until 1:00 PM on Saturday after having stayed up late writing that post. The only reason I’m not asleep now is because I’m responding to all of these messages, which I’ve put off for too long!

Thanks for the corrections. I seem to be making the same sorts of mistakes over and over, so hopefully once I learn some of the grammar patterns you’re using there and reading your corrections, they’ll finally stick. I feel like in a way, my Japanese class at school has actually hurt my knowledge of the language rather than helped it. I’m contemplating whether or not I should take the next level next year.

ReneeMona wrote:
I apologise in advance for the lengthy post.

Have you seriously been functioning on less than five hours of sleep per night for a week? Wow. I usually don’t last that long. After five or six nights of three hours of sleep I normally crash and sleep for fifteen hours. If I were you I would cut back a little on the languages to make sure you get enough sleep.

ellasevia wrote:
How is my pronunciation? Is it as horrible as I think it is, or is it alright except for the things I noted above?

That was really good! What’s strange is that the more I listened to it, the more you reminded me of many Moroccan-Dutch teenagers who speak Dutch natively but still have something of a foreign accent. The way you pronounced the a in contant and the second a in vakantie, the oe, the r and words like landje, het and elke really reminded me of the way they speak.

Lectuur: Ik moet sparen.
-     Het is nu bijna vakantie, Wim; waar ga je dit jaar naartoe? [question intonation]
-     Ik denk dat ik dit jaar thuis blijf.
-     Ik verlang al weken naar 1 juli: ik voel me bijzonder moe.
-     Denk je soms dat ik ook niet moe ben? Maar...vakantie is duur!
-     Je verdient goed je brood, Wim.
-     Misschien; maar nu moet ik sparen: ik heb een nieuwe wagen nodig.
-     Voor een wagen kan je geld van de bank lenen.
-     Ik vind dat een slechte oplossing: je betaalt dan nog veel meer.
-     Meer...maar elke maand een beetje.
-     Ik betaal contant of ik koop geen wagen.
-     Ja, jongen, je betaalt contant en je blijft in ons landje: het weer is er zo mooi!
-     Het spijt me, maar ik kan niets anders doen.

Your oo and aa sound a little too short and your u tends towards an oe sometimes. Your z in bijzonder and ss in oplossing both sounded fine to me.

By the way, is this Assimil Dutch for aspiring farmers? Or do they give wagen as a translation for car? For me it has a very strong horse-and-cart association. That and the en je blijft in ons landje made the conversation sound a bit strange to me. ;-)

Quote:
Deze week heb ik niet even veel Nederlands geleerd als vorige week. Ik heb acht lessen van Assimil gedaan, en drie lessen van TY Dutch herzien. Eerder wilde ik twee uur (For some reason when we talk about multiple hours, we still use the singular “uur”. I don’t think “uren” is technically incorrect but it sounds unnatural.) meer Nederlands leren, maar nu is het veel te laat, dus in plaats van dat ga ik net nu? (”net” implies that it happened in the recent past so that doesn’t work with the present tense “ga”.) een beetje in het Nederlands schrijven. Ik heb meer aan mijn accent gewerkt, maar niet zoveel als vorige week. Ach, nu kan ik helemaal niet denken. Dit is de laatste tekst die ik moet schrijven, en ik vind het moeilijk, maar ik weet dat als ik niet zo moe was, ik het veel (ge)makkelijker kon doen. Tot ziens!

Lengthy post? Where? No need to apologize, I’m even guiltier of this than you. I really should be the one apologizing for this crime!

I’d be lucky if I could say that I have been functioning on that for only this past week. Unfortunately that has been my reality since last April, with the exceptions of the summer break from school and Thanksgiving and Winter Breaks.

I’m very excited that I didn’t do as horribly as I thought with regard to my Dutch accent. I’ll probably be satisfied with the “native-like, but there’s something noticeably off” (if I understood what you meant correctly, that is) accent for Dutch, because that’s how I apparently am with English. On many an occasion I’ve been asked what country I’m from or what my native language is. I’ll definitely work on those ‘oo,’ ‘aa,’ and ‘u’ sounds, along with the other bits you’ve bolded. Dank je wel!

Also thank you for the corrections to my written Dutch. As for the twee uur, I now remember reading that in Dutch the singular is used with uur and jaar because they are neuter words. But you’d say twee maanden or twee weken, right?

(And yes, they do give wagen as a translation for ‘car.’)

Hobbema wrote:
I'm up by 5 as well, weekends and weekdays. I like to think that the quiet early morning hours are the hours that noone else wants. And that's okay, because I'm happy to take them!

Yes, I remember how peaceful and wonderful it was doing my work in the morning while no one else was awake. As it is now, I have to work amidst people running around busily and loudly, lots of yelling, bothering me with silly questions and demands, just bothering me because they have nothing better to do (that would be my brother), TV programs and movies, and all sorts of other distractions.

darkwhispersdal wrote:
I used to be up at six every morning while I was at uni but got out of the habit when I returned to my parent's house. I have to be up at 5 on tuesday so I've set myself the goal of getting up the rest of the week at 5 and see how I cope.

Good luck with your sleeping schedule goal. I’m attempting something similar this week, although I have a feeling I won’t succeed on this front tomorrow morning due to my having stayed up to reply to all of these messages. Oh well, better luck next time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5129 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 59 of 392
31 January 2011 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:

hribecek wrote:
Thanks for those answers Ellasevia. Sorry about questions 2 and 5, I didn't mean to make you question your current studies! I think Russian is my favourite sounding language too, although Hungarian has been hooking me in too lately. With question 2 I suppose I meant the 3rd option but all of them are nice to know.

I've lived in several countries and I've never heard of a school where you get 2 hours of language learning every day, especially with a choice of 5 and it being in the US where I'd least expect it.

So thanks again and keep up the good work!

No problem, and köszönöm (oooh, look at all those umlauts!). I guess my school is somewhat unusual in the United States in that it has so many options, but it’s probably equally horrible as the rest of the country in the quality of the classes (with exceptions, like my German class), the requirements for foreign language study, and the number of students who actually take advantage of the opportunity to learn. Which countries have you lived in?

England, Czech Republic, Spain, Costa Rica and Belize. Plus 1 month in Guatemala where I witnessed the schooling system too. None of them come close to your 2 hours a day and 5 choices. Czech Republic is the closest with about 5-7 hours a week and 4 language options.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 60 of 392
31 January 2011 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Since I stayed up until 4 o clock in the morning last night reading a German book, which made me look like my own great grandmother when I went to work today, I realize I have very little moral authority in this case, but you really do need to get more sleep. You will crash and burn if you do not get the sleep you need, and we definitely can't have that! We need you here!

ruskivyetr
Diglot
United States
Joined 5261 days ago

769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 61 of 392
01 February 2011 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
I agree with Solfrid Cristin. You need to get more sleep! If you sleep more, your learning capacity will increase,
making your time spent learning more efficient!
2 persons have voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5115 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 62 of 392
01 February 2011 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
As for the twee uur, I now remember reading that in Dutch the singular is used with uur and jaar because they are neuter words. But you’d say twee maanden or twee weken, right?

Right. I never realised it's because uur and jaar are neuter but now that you mention it, that makes sense, since the word kwartier works that way as well.

Quote:
(And yes, they do give wagen as a translation for ‘car.’)

I guess it just sounded weird to me because the speaker speaks so carefully and properly yet he uses very informal language. It would have made more sense to just say auto.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5922 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 63 of 392
01 February 2011 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Well, good news! Apparently it has finally reached the notice of our school district's stupid superintendent that...
- it's deathly cold outside -- it's supposedly going to be -30°F (-34.4°C) tomorrow morning with windchill
- the streets and sidewalks are literally just sheets of ice
- there's over a foot of snow and a very cold wind

...and that these conditions are not fit for school, so school is canceled tomorrow! Yay!

Actually, we really shouldn't have had school today either, because...
- there were similar conditions to the above except not quite so cold or snowy
- the buses were all delayed by at least 20 minutes, so many people couldn't get to school on time, and some people only arrived as late as noon
- countless accidents all over the place and putting tons of people in huge danger (especially the people who live in the mountains and have to come down the mountain roads to get into town; a girl in my German class today said that she literally thought she was going to die as she drove down to school this morning)
- tons of people falling and getting hurt while walking in and around the school; I remember hearing medical help being called this morning because someone had fallen and gotten a head injury, and I almost took a bad fall myself while simply crossing the street to get to the school

Anyways, I'm very glad that we aren't expected to be there tomorrow, because seriously!? Do they think I'm willing to freeze to death and/or get in a car accident and/or get badly hurt from slipping just so that I can get to my most beloved math class on time?! For once, apparently they don't.

So, this all means that I'll have a lot more time than expected, which of course means more study time and more time for being able to rest (@Solfrid Cristin and ruskivyetr). I guess I should start now by working on these Anki reviews that piled up while I was at school. Or should I do Swedish? Or Russian? Or Persian? Or kanji? So many options...

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 64 of 392
01 February 2011 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
You sound like you really need a day off. We do not get snow days, ever. My husband's grandfather who
worked with telephone poles was once sent home when they were at -43 Celsius and strong wind. Even
their supervisor understood that working at the top of a telephone pole in those conditions was inhuman.
Schools however remain open no matter what. I hope you get both a nice sleep in and some studying
done. Have fun!

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version