Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
392 messages over 49 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 48 49 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5902 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 65 of 392
01 February 2011 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
You sound like you really need a day off. We do not get snow days, ever. My husband's grandfather who worked with telephone poles was once sent home when they were at -43 Celsius and strong wind. Even their supervisor understood that working at the top of a telephone pole in those conditions was inhuman. Schools however remain open no matter what. I hope you get both a nice sleep in and some studying done. Have fun!

Indeed I do. And right after I answer this post and write up a short summary for January, I'm going to bed even though I've only done one hour of Persian today, language-wise.

I guess that in Norway you'd probably end up with more snow days than non-snow days if they had them there! But even here (Colorado) is much more conservative with giving them out than many other parts of the country. I have a friend who used to go to school in Kentucky and she said that they would practically cancel school if there was even the chance of snow. Here we usually are only allowed two free snow days (if even that many--and we might use up both of them this week because they're now considering canceling school on Wednesday too) before they start tacking on days to the end of the year. Do they at least have good ways for dealing with the snow/ice/cold in Norway, like plows that actually do their jobs and plow the streets instead of just driving around pretending to?
1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5902 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 66 of 392
01 February 2011 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Quarter 1: Swedish, Persian, Dutch
JANUARY 1-31

Total Study Time This Month: 84.5 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 84.5 hours

Average Study Time This Month: 2.73 hours/day
Average Study Time in 2011: 2.73 hours/day

BLUE: Days I studied

January has been a very good month for me, and I managed to clock in more than 80 hours of study time, with the big winner in terms of time being Persian, which is fitting since that’s our team language. I don’t yet know what to expect for the rest of the year, but I can only hope for more of the same…or better! I’m now about one third of the way through the first quarter, and I really like this system. It has the benefits of letting me focus a lot of a couple languages and get very exciting about doing as much of them as possible, while not forgetting about my other ones. Also, it makes me miss studying my non-focus languages and thereby keeping my motivation up for studying them intensively later in the year. I hope that it will continue to be so beneficial. February will continue to be the first quarter with Swedish and Persian, but halfway through the month I’m planning on demoting Dutch to a non-focus language…or maybe not. I’m really enjoying Dutch, so I’ll be sad to see it go. We’ll see…

SVENSKA
Total Study Time This Month: 18.75 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 18.75 hours

- Assimil Review (1-21)
- Assimil Lessons 22-46
- Swedish Radio
- Den Lilla Sjöjungfrun + vocabulary

فارسى
Total Study Time This Month: 21 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 21 hours

- Spoken World Farsi Review (1-3)
- Spoken World Farsi Lessons 4-8
- Colloquial Persian Lesson 4
- Assimil Lessons 1-30
- Listened to the Bible in Persian for background while I studied

NEDERLANDS
Total Study Time This Month: 16.25 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 16.25 hours

- Completed MT Dutch Advanced
- Assimil Review (1-12)
- Assimil Lessons 13-45
- Routledge Intensive Dutch Course Review (1-3)
- Teach Yourself Dutch Review (1-11)
- De Kleine Zeemeermin
- Pronunciation Practice

Deutsch
Total Study Time This Month: 4 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 4 hours

- German Grammar Drills: The Subjunctive
- 4 Tagebucheinträge
- Reading in German

Fraais
Total Study Time This Month: 2.5 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 2.5 hours

- Wrote letters in French
- Vocabulary
- French Radio
- Met with French teacher to organize AP Exam review
- Exercises for AP Exam review

Ro

- Assimil Review (1-30)
- Restudied Assimil Lessons 22-30
- Assimil Lesson 31
- Revived contact with my Romanian friend

Ελληνικά
Total Study Time This Month: 2.75 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 2.75 hours

- Greek Lessons with grandmother
- Reading articles from Το Βήμα (4)
- Reading Greek poetry

Polski
Total Study Time This Month: 8.75 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 8.75 hours

- MT Polish Foundation (up through CD7, I think)
- Assimil Lessons 1-8
- Teach Yourself Polish Lessons 0-1
- 1 story from Przygody Krystyny, Pawła i Reksa
- Grammar Practice
- Vocabulary

Русский

- Suffixes from Roots of the Russian Language
- Cortina Russian Lesson 7
- Cortina Russian Lesson 3 Translation Exercises

Kiswahili

- Reading and Writing in Multilingual Lounge
- Grammar Review

Total Study Time This Month: 3 hours
Total Study Time in 2011: 3 hours

- Reviewed Ultimate Japanese 1-10
- Reviewed Assimil 1-17
- Pitch Accent/Pronunciation Practice
- Vocabulary
- Kanji Reviews

Edited by ellasevia on 01 March 2011 at 7:14pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 67 of 392
01 February 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
A great first month and start to the year! You definitely deserve a day off and a good sleep-in too - enjoy. :)

Edited by Teango on 01 February 2011 at 4:25pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 68 of 392
01 February 2011 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
[QUOTE=Solfrid Cristin] Do they at least have good ways for dealing with the snow/ice/cold in Norway, like plows that actually do their jobs and plow the streets instead of just driving around pretending to?

Yes they do, so it is usually not a problem, but I remember times when I was a kid when we had to wade through 30 cm of snow on our way to school, or even had to use skis or a "kicksled" (which for those of you unfamilar with the item is a small sled consisting of a chair mounted on a pair of flexible metal runners which extend backward to about twice the chair's length. The sled is propelled by kicking the ground by foot. There is a handlebar attached to the top of the chair back.)

It usually makes foreigners howl with laughter, but is actually incredibly fast and easy to use under the right conditions. Nowadays they use too much salt and sand, but back then we got to use them a lot.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 69 of 392
01 February 2011 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Don't tell my better half about the "kicksled", otherwise I'll be pushing her to work next winter for sure (lol). Seriously though, they do look like a LOT of fun. :D

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5902 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 70 of 392
01 February 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Yes, those kicksleds do look like a lot of fun! Strange though, because I dislike both skiing and sledding.

On an unrelated note, I just remembered that yesterday marks my third birthday on this site. When I joined three years ago, I think the only languages listed in my "speaks" section were English and Spanish, and in my "studies" section French and Greek (and maybe Portuguese, I don't remember). So these have been a very productive three years for me. I hope the trend will continue. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Élan
United States
Joined 5204 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 71 of 392
01 February 2011 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Happy belated birthday on the site, team member! :) I hope you are enjoying your day off. Now that I have finally graduate from college, I have been able to spend a lot of time studying Persian. It's the best feeling!

By the way, do you use a particular program to calculate hours? I don't want to copy you, but I think it would be good to have some kind of calendar to which I am held accountable. :P

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5902 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 72 of 392
01 February 2011 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
!متشکرم و تبریک

For calculating hours and tracking activities, I'm using an adapted version of Sprachprofi's spreadsheet that she linked to on page two of this log. Although, looking back at her original version, it looks as if there are almost more adaptations than similarities, so maybe I'll upload mine as well for comparison. That is, if I can figure out how. :P

This discussion contains 392 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version